Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread Pelicans vs Mavs 11/1/14

I didn't get to watch the game yet (just got home, but I taped it). From the looks of it, this is what I have been worried about the whole offseason. Monty is not smart enough to put Gordon in the 2nd unit. He needs to give Gordon 30+ minutes, but make the bulk of those minutes in the 2nd unit with Ryno. Gordon could have the ball in his hand the whole time, and he wouldn't have to fight for control with guys like Davis, Reke, and Jrue.

Monty is far too traditional in his approach, and he needs to stagger our guards.

The good news is we can still go 81-1, and Durant still hasn't written us off of his list of teams he will consider in free agency.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Hopefully you'll leave as fast as they will too.
    What is that supposed to mean. Don't be hateful because we lost.

Hopefully you'll leave as fast as they will too.
    @Asteptooslow, ignore the haters. Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    We lost to a better team.
    This is true. I didn't expect us to win this game (my expectation is 2-2 after 4), but I was given hope, until Puddin ripped it away.

Eric 8 attempts in game 1 and 6 attempts in game 2. Point= Eric can't create a shot for himself or teammate to save his life.

Eric Gordon and Austin rivers blatantly lost us this game. Sickening. We had that until their turnovers and stupidity.

Banned
    I have to be careful myself...losing sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The say that hind sight is 20/20 (or 50/50 depending on who you ask), but this game DOES end differently if Ryno is on the court for the meat of that 4th qtr. there is no mystery. That was a down right 76er tanking job by Monty.
    When the pace of the game slowed down in the 4th quarter the Pelicans could not score. Monty played all the starters big minutes which is generally a good thing except when you're down 4 points late in the 4th and Asik isn't going to help the offense and free throw shooting is below average. Also Gordon had not done anything all game, I would have rather seen Jimmer or Russ Smith at that point.

Would like to see Ryno be more assertive and ask for the ball. He just set screens and stood around while Tyreke tried to do too much. Tyreke should know better then to be shooting that many 3's but his offense wasn't helping him either.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 11-01-2014 at 08:52 PM.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Dallas is a far more experienced team. I'd expect this early in the season as our players learn to play together.

Gordon might need more time.
    Thank you Mythrol. I'm seeing a lot of people who need chill pills both on here and on twitter.

*Plays three guard lineups for heavy minutes*

*Plays jumbo lineup with no true point guard*

*Is called too traditional*

Alright, we regroup, go back to the drawing board, and come back better next time.

I said it after last game (in a (shamefully) gloating way), the first few weeks of the season we will see different rotations as nothing is set in stone. After a few weeks we will be able to predict who will be playing and for how long. Today was a bad rotation against a good team and you can bet your bottom dollar you won't see this rotation again. Live and learn, clean your sword, live to fight another day.

Honestly, I'd have liked a closing lineup of Jrue, Tyreke, Ryno, AD, Asik.

After these 2 games it is obvious the Gordon should not be starting he needs to come off the bench, and start either John or Darius.

Was it just me or was Gordon's defense pretty decent?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    *Plays three guard lineups for heavy minutes*

*Plays jumbo lineup with no true point guard*

*Is called too traditional*
    Is there a good reason why all 3 guards should be playing the majority of their minutes together? Gordon, when he is at his best, is a guy who plays with the ball in his hands. Sounds like a perfect 6th man candidate to me. Give him his 30+ minutes a game, but give it to him where he can impact the game more.

As a coach you have to see a player who is doing nothing out there and change things up. You can't go with a guy 17 minutes who has scored nothing and has played 0 defense. You gotta sit him down a minute and put someone else out there to see if they can turn it around. At least send a message to the bad player that he won't get a free ticket to play if he doesn't step up to the plate.

Those are mistakes a JV high school coach makes, not an NBA coach. Come on Monty, think for a minute, if Gordon ain't producing, CHANGE SOMETHING.

Honestly, I'd have liked a closing lineup of Jrue, Tyreke, Ryno, AD, Asik.
    That isn't a bad idea. You keep Asik in because of what he does around the rim, and how he can clean things up when things go wrong. I am with you when you say, "Keep Asik in." It makes sense.

Given his play after the last game, asking for 3 might have been to much. But like you said, who knows, what he gives up on defense wouldn't have been any more than we were giving up already.
    Do you and pelicanned actually watch these games? Gordon was an issue because he was a symptom of a larger problem, lack of cohesion, poor coaching and chemistry. This team is not playing like a cohesive unit, which is expected. Coach still isn't confident in his lineups and is letting this team play like streetballers at times.

Jimmer would put up the same numbers if he was utilized like Gordon was. You can't ignore a rhythm shooter for two 1/2 quarters and expect him to be a positive contributor in the last few minutes. He had 2 shots in the final 3 quarters. Read that again, 2 shots. Zero shots in the third. zero shots in the third when Rivers and him were the sole guards and Rivers was screwing up over and over again. And again it wasn't like he didn't get open or put himself in a position to be open, he did, I counted 5 times and Iwasnt even looking when Evans, Rivers or Jrue drove in a layer up a poor shot with Gordon wide open on the wing.

I hate Gordon as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna be irrational. like Evans last season, if Monty can't utilize a player the player is going to falter. Gordon should of been the primary ball handler that several minute run with Rivers. He should of had some plays for him, instead we let Rivers crash and burn running a bunch of inefficient sets and bad shots. If you have a starter going against the opponents bench, attack the mismatch.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Was it just me or was Gordon's defense pretty decent?
    He did the best job of anyone keeping Montae out of the paint in the fourth.

Game turning point

Rivers losing the ball at crtical times. Ajinca should have played more with Davis. He's mobile and has a soft jumper(no stone hands of Asik).

That isn't a bad idea. You keep Asik in because of what he does around the rim, and how he can clean things up when things go wrong. I am with you when you say, "Keep Asik in." It makes sense.
    People were already complaining in this thread that Asik was too slow, though.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Do you and pelicanned actually watch these games? Gordon was an issue because he was a symptom of a larger problem, lack of cohesion, poor coaching and chemistry. This team is not playing like a cohesive unit, which is expected.

Jimmer would put up the same numbers if he was utilized like Gordon was. You can't ignore a rhythm shooter for two 1/2 quarters and expect him to be a positive contributor in the last few minutes. He had 2 shots in the final 3 quarters. Read that again, 2 shots. Zero shots in the third. zero shots in the third when Rivers and him were the sole guards and Rivers was screwing up over and over again.

I hate Gordon as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna be irrational. like Evans last season, if Monty can't utilize a player the player is going to falter. Gordon should of been the primary ball handler that several minute run with Rivers. He should of had some plays for him, instead we let Rivers crash and burn running a bunch of inefficient sets and bad shots.
    If it was a symptom of team cohesion and chemistry, the other guys wouldn't have looked so good next to him. Maybe, just maybe nobody was setting him up to shoot because nobody trusted he could do anything once he caught the ball. If there was a lack of team cohesion, it was Gordon's fault. Don't blame this on Davis, Tyreke or Jrue or anyone else.

Take responsibility that he sucked tonight, and it was 90% his own doing. And you really think Jimmer would have scored 0 points? You have a crystal ball? You saw into the future? No? then stfu.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Do you and pelicanned actually watch these games? Gordon was an issue because he was a symptom of a larger problem, lack of cohesion, poor coaching and chemistry. This team is not playing like a cohesive unit, which is expected.

Jimmer would put up the same numbers if he was utilized like Gordon was. You can't ignore a rhythm shooter for two 1/2 quarters and expect him to be a positive contributor in the last few minutes. He had 2 shots in the final 3 quarters. Read that again, 2 shots. Zero shots in the third. zero shots in the third when Rivers and him were the sole guards and Rivers was screwing up over and over again.

I hate Gordon as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna be irrational. like Evans last season, if Monty can't utilize a player the player is going to falter. Gordon should of been the primary ball handler that several minute run with Rivers. He should of had some plays for him, instead we let Rivers crash and burn running a bunch of inefficient sets and bad shots.
    I am saying that I don't expect that rotation in that situation again. I am not saying Jimmer wins you the game, I am saying anyone but Gordon gives you a fighting chance.

It's only the second game of the season. Things will change, or people will.

Thread Information