Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rivers trade {edited - speculation}

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    As Cam Newton once said "Hindsight is 50/50."

The Rivers pick was bad, and the players taken after him were bad, so it's not like we could have picked a better option at pg/sg.

The guys that stand out from that 2012 NBA draft post Rivers are
    Terrance Jones
    Jared Sullinger
    Andrew Nichols
    Tony Wroten
    Miles Plumlee
    Jae Crowder
    Draymond Green
    Quincy Acy
    Khris Middelton

All have had more success than Rivers, but what we were going for with that #10 pick isn't what any of those guys were.

I would kill for half of those guys over Rivers, but there was little chance we would have taken any of them.
    Most of those bigs would have never even gotten playtime. All our PF minutes were going to Davis and Anderson. Like, maybe Plumlee, Green, Middleton, and Crowder would have carved out some minutes from the center or SF position.

But those guys were all drafted super late so apparently nobody thought much of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Most of those bigs would have never even gotten playtime. All our PF minutes were going to Davis and Anderson. Like, maybe Plumlee, Green, Middleton, and Crowder would have carved out some minutes from the center or SF position.

But those guys were all drafted super late so apparently nobody thought much of them.
    Exactly. Its not like any of those options were options Del or Monty were going to take. I mean, the only guy of the group that plays the same position as Rivers (whatever that is) is Wroten, and he put up numbers on a bad team.

The idea that there was better talent out there for the position (than Rivers was) is simply not true.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Exactly. Its not like any of those options were options Del or Monty were going to take. I mean, the only guy of the group that plays the same position as Rivers (whatever that is) is Wroten, and he put up numbers on a bad team.

The idea that there was better talent out there for the position (than Rivers was) is simply not true.
    There was Lamb, but that's about it. I guess we agree, lol.

Yeah there was Lamb, but if you can find anyone clamoring for him instead of Rivers tell them to come see me. I have a bunch of trash in my back yard that I can probably sell to them as treasure.

I still question Demps' decision to show up at Reke's crib @ 12am to offer him a contract when he should have been scouring the Earth for a SF. Instead, we got a tweener player that is only effective when others are taken out of their normal roles. Jrue & EG are best with the ball but Reke's inefficiencies off-ball force them to play off ball. I know everybody loves Reke (probably because they hate Gordon) but he is one of many mis-fits on this team IMO.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

As opposed to someone out of Meyers, Henson, and Lamb? The only one of those getting playing time is Henson. Lamb can't even stay out of the D-League on a team desperate for production from his position.

Seriously, look at all the garbage after the Drummond pick.
    I guess trading the pic was illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Way to ignore the facts. I never said rivers was better than Lillard. But he does finish better. This isn't arguable. He is also better on defense. This isn't arguable.

My point however was to show how illogical you were being because I can point to just as many stats as you that really mean nothing.
    Maybe, but one thing that is true regardless of stats. Rivers is not a good NBA player to this point in his career. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA NBA View Post
    I guess trading the pic was illegal?
    It wasn't a high value pick. 2012 was thought of as a shallow draft.

Maybe, but one thing that is true regardless of stats. Rivers is not a good NBA player to this point in his career. PERIOD.
    I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that.
    Ha, not sure about that. Seem like alot of people on here want to believe Rivers and Fredette are the next Thompson and Curry.

Where did I say he was? If he takes the expected jump this year I think he will be a solid backup guard who can guard most 1/2s and spot up or drive but I did not say he is currently good. He does certain things good, overall however he is very average for a backup.

The difference is you are making him sound like trash using very skewered stats and ignoring his vast improvement.

Where did I say he was? If he takes the expected jump this year I think he will be a solid backup guard who can guard most 1/2s and spot up or drive but I did not say he is currently good. He does certain things good, overall however he is very average for a backup.

The difference is you are making him sound like trash using very skewered stats and ignoring his vast improvement.
    He is below average, below average in just about every facet of the game. He is trash just by watching him, the stats back it up. Improvement was incremental, not vast. Stats are stats, they are what they are. There is no skewering them. You are what your numbers say you are. Very average for a backup is being beyond kind.

Ha, not sure about that. Seem like alot of people on here want to believe Rivers and Fredette are the next Thompson and Curry.
    I don't care how much people in New Orleans drink, nobody would ever think that, let alone say it.

He is below average, below average in just about every facet of the game. He is trash just by watching him, the stats back it up. Improvement was incremental, not vast. Stats are stats, they are what they are. There is no skewering them. You are what your numbers say you are. Very average for a backup is being beyond kind.
    He does some things REALLY well and some things REALLY bad. That's very average for a backup. Who are backup guards that you would consider better that are only average?

Now he's trying to dictate what position he wants to play. This guy based upon his performance and that performance being right at the bottom of all bottoms in nba history needs to shut up and be happy the coach even lets him on the floor. Bad attitude.

Banned
    He can run the second unit...no one else can.

Way to ignore the facts. I never said rivers was better than Lillard. But he does finish better. This isn't arguable. He is also better on defense. This isn't arguable.

My point however was to show how illogical you were being because I can point to just as many stats as you that really mean nothing.
    Lillard is finishing against NBA starters, rivers against mostly backups. Not really the fairest of comparisons.

I want the guy to suceed but I'm not exactly optimistic. He is still struggling at the line, less then 65% for the preseason and less then 35% from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Lillard is finishing against NBA starters, rivers against mostly backups. Not really the fairest of comparisons.

I want the guy to suceed but I'm not exactly optimistic. He is still struggling at the line, less then 65% for the preseason and less then 35% from the field.
    Comparing Rivers to Lillard is akin to comparing Lebron James to Anthony Bennett.

Comparing Rivers to Lillard is akin to comparing Lebron James to Anthony Bennett.
    If Anthony Bennett finished at the rim the point would still stand. Choose where you want. I picked Lillard because of a recent article about how had of an inside The arc shooter he was. Within 10ft Rivers is head and shoulders better.

But Rivers is trash because of his numbers. So what is Lillard?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He didn't compare Rivers to Lillard, that is the disconnect and it happened before also. He compared 1 aspect of their game. You can argue the validity of that aspect all you want with the playing against starters point, it's a valid statement, one that I happen to agree with. But let's stop with the he compared this guy to this star thing. I know Mythrol would never do that.

Now he's trying to dictate what position he wants to play. This guy based upon his performance and that performance being right at the bottom of all bottoms in nba history needs to shut up and be happy the coach even lets him on the floor. Bad attitude.
    No, he was asked what role he preferred playing and answered with his preference before going on to say that he will do whatever the team asks of him.

If Anthony Bennett finished at the rim the point would still stand. Choose where you want. I picked Lillard because of a recent article about how had of an inside The arc shooter he was. Within 10ft Rivers is head and shoulders better.

Clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Clutch?
    Not inside the arc. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    He didn't compare Rivers to Lillard, that is the disconnect and it happened before also. He compared 1 aspect of their game. You can argue the validity of that aspect all you want with the playing against starters point, it's a valid statement, one that I happen to agree with. But let's stop with the he compared this guy to this star thing. I know Mythrol would never do that.
    Thank you. I never compared the two players overall. My point was simply that people calling Rivers trash without looking at the entire player. So if we are going to call him trash what about a player like Lillard who rivers is better than in a couple of areas.

The overly harsh hatred of Rivers is undeserved and that is my main thing that is frustrating. If you are all Pels fan you should pull for all our players.

Last time i checked i think he was an all star. Something Rivers will NEVER EVER be.

Thread Information