Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season game #3- Pelicans V Wizards

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I've seen enough of Jimmer's game to know that defense is something he will always struggle with.

I say he can't, but it kinda is a damning evaluation. His defense can't make up for his world-class shooting ability, I don't believe. But he can still be very, very useful for us. Just can't have him on the floor in clutch situations. Far as I'm concerned, he's a better shooting Brian Roberts.

The problem with Roberts was he was constantly used like he was a PG, due to his size. Both need to be off ball.

I also eagerly await seeing him play becaue I can't listen to basketball on the radio for long. The game is too visual and rapid. Football is different. Things happen slower and commentators can go into depth for each play.
    Like kissing your sister.

Miller played 27 minutes and did NOT get one rebound.
    No way he has a future as a SF.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 10-08-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Miller played 27 minutes and did get one rebound.
    No way he has a future as a SF.
    Also no 3 or D
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

How long until we start Tyreke? Over under 20 games.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    How long until we start Tyreke? Over under 20 games.
    Over

Jimmer is shooting a scorching 54% percent behind the 3-point line and leads the team in shooting percentage and scoring average over 3 games from the -bench-. If he plays better D than my grandmother, there's no excuse for him not playing out there every night at least 15-20 minutes.

Russ is going to beat out either Jimmer or Rivers as back up. He can score just as well as Jimmer but plays 10 times the D and can break down the defense. He also know what he's doing on the floor unlike Rivers.

1-6

more jimmer, less rivers.Don't know what people expects from austin.

Just a friendly reminder that this is preseason y'all. Can we hold off on definitive statements until the games actually count?

All-Star
    So has anybody actually seen the games. Jimmers defense was noticeably better that last couple of years both in Sacramento and Chicago.

It's only pre-season, yet the Jimmer fan base has already begun to wreak havoc on our poor team.

Put up 88 shots to Washington's 72. Shot 14 more 3s. Went to the free throw line 6 less times.

Bird's eye view they fell in love with the jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Put up 88 shots to Washington's 72. Shot 14 more 3s. Went to the free throw line 6 less times.

Bird's eye view they fell in love with the jumper.
    Well davis has.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHornet View Post
    It's only pre-season, yet the Jimmer fan base has already begun to wreak havoc on our poor team.
    What are you talking about?

I think its time to trade Jrue since we got Jimmer.

Some good things

Jrue looked real good
    Gordon looked quicker and scoring, also attacking ore and went six of six from the line
    Jimmer needs to be our backup SG
    Ryno looked great

This team needs to make a trade for a starting small forward, doesnt have to be a good one, just a three and d, someone like sefalosha, pj tucker, etc. Miller and salmons arent gonna cut it. Besides that this team is stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmerTime View Post
    Is Rivers really this bad at shooting? I think he's better than given credit for, but his shooting seems woeful.
    All those Youtube clips of him putting in work for nothing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    So has anybody actually seen the games. Jimmers defense was noticeably better that last couple of years both in Sacramento and Chicago.
    Have you seen the games. Not asking in a mean way.

Quote Originally Posted by NDHornet View Post
    Dont you mean RekeHavok (sorry I had too). What I have gathered is preseason doesn't count, Russ Smith is a God (he can do no wrong), Darius Miller should pack his bags now and Jimmer is a great or horrible defender. As for Russ, I feel people are salivating over a good defensive player, but from what I have seen he struggles mightily at times on offense. This leads me to believe Pierre Jackson would have been his evil twin had he been able to play.

Banned
    Do the coach's talk before the game about what they want to get done in these type of games. I mean both coaches kind of let the young guys finish. Or do they just take cues from the other guy?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmerTime View Post
    Jimmer can play. Surrounding circumstances, such as coaches and teammates, have hurt his career tremendously up until this point.

He is literally the best shooter in the world, IMO.
    Steph Curry says Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I've seen enough of Jimmer's game to know that defense is something he will always struggle with.

I say he can't, but it kinda is a damning evaluation. His defense can't make up for his world-class shooting ability, I don't believe. But he can still be very, very useful for us. Just can't have him on the floor in clutch situations. Far as I'm concerned, he's a better shooting Brian Roberts.

The problem with Roberts was he was constantly used like he was a PG, due to his size. Both need to be off ball.

I also eagerly await seeing him play becaue I can't listen to basketball on the radio for long. The game is too visual and rapid. Football is different. Things happen slower and commentators can go into depth for each play.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Have you seen the games. Not asking in a mean way.
    I haven't seen any pre season games this year. That is kind of why I was asking. I know that the book on Jimmer is that he is a great offensive player and can't play any D. It gets stated over and over and is a major talking point in regards to his play. The thing is, it just hasn't really been the case for the last couple of years. Jimmer is a much better athlete than he is given credit and has the ability to defend adequately. So for all the "Jimmer is great offensively but he can't play any defense" comments that I have read I just wanted to know if any of them were actually from posters who had seen him play in a Pels uniform or if they were comments made by people parroting what they had heard from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    I haven't seen any pre season games this year. That is kind of why I was asking. I know that the book on Jimmer is that he is a great offensive player and can't play any D. It gets stated over and over and is a major talking point in regards to his play. The thing is, it just hasn't really been the case for the last couple of years. Jimmer is a much better athlete than he is given credit and has the ability to defend adequately. So for all the "Jimmer is great offensively but he can't play any defense" comments that I have read I just wanted to know if any of them were actually from posters who had seen him play in a Pels uniform or if they were comments made by people parroting what they had heard from others.
    Hi, Npliam.

I disagree a little regarding athleticism and defense. In terms of the general populace, Jimmer is a great athlete. In terms of NBA point guards, he is below median. He is a better athlete than the old guys like Calderon and Jameer Nelson and some of the big points like Livingston or Greivis Vasquez, but not NBA point guards in general.

Sure, the differences are measured in fractions of seconds and milimeters, but at the NBA level of competition, it is what it is.

Defensively, he improved quite a bit last year working with Malone and Thibs on positioning, rotations and reads. His biggest problem on defense is that he is not nasty enough, doesn't foul hard enough. Since he was drafted, I wanted to see him play defense more like that other BYU alum, Danny Ainge did back in the day. Ainge was great at hitting bigs in the midsection with elbows as he fought through screens. I want to see more of that hard-nosed playbefore I give Jimmer credit for improved defense.

Banned
    I know Coach says he has to play better...but did also, say he is slowly picking up the schemes as well. For now I will assume all things fall in the middle with this guy. Just as long as the other team doesn't run every play at him he should be fine. I think Williams said he could have left Jimmer in to give the team a better chance to win, but wanted to see the young guys. That sounds like a pretty good endorsement.

I really want to see why Rivers isn't shooting well more than if Jimmer's defense is bad. (no offense to Jimmer) I always lean toward length if given a choice, so I would rather see Rivers do well.

I also can't wait to see the starting 5 in winning time.

Thread Information