Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tyreke may be best as SF

Tyreke may be best as SF

By Position GP MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS

As Starting Guard 13 33.4 7.3-15.5 .470 0.4-1.5 .250 3.5-5.1 .697 1.7 3.6 5.3 6.9 0.2 1.3 2.2 3.5 18.5
    As Starting Foward 9 38.0 7.9-14.8 .534 0.9-2.2 .400 5.2-6.1 .855 1.1 4.2 5.3 5.4 0.6 1.4 2.2 3.3 21.9
    As Starter 22 35.3 7.5-15.2 .496 0.6-1.8 .325 4.2-5.5 .769 1.5 3.9 5.3 6.3 0.3 1.4 2.2 3.4 19.9
    Off Bench 50 25.0 4.5-11.2 .400 0.2-1.1 .145 2.9-3.8 .772 0.9 3.6 4.5 4.5 0.3 1.1 2.1 2.0 12.1

1-6

With Davis and asik we will run three guard sets, which I'm fine with. Going to be a defensive and fast break team.

So basically when he started at small forward he averaged 22 points 5.5 rebounds 5.5 assists, shot 50% from the field, 40% from 3 and 86% from the free throw line.

I can live with that

But in all seriousness, those are mvp numbers.

Idk I just cant get behind this I just rather him start at the 2 and have a 3&D guy
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Wow. Do you know how lethal a starting 5 of Holiday, Gordon, Evans, AD, and Asik will be. Also when you have Rivers coming off the bench with Ryno and Jimmer shooting 3's. I hope Monty finally plays to this team's strength and play fast break offense.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Idk I just cant get behind this I just rather him start at the 2 and have a 3&D guy
    I think everybody including the pelicans can agree with that. However, until you find someone take Gordon off our hands you have to play with what you have.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I think everybody including the pelicans can agree with that. However, until you find someone take Gordon off our hands you have to play with what you have.
    I actually like the idea of Gordon (assuming he's healthy) and Tyreke both starting, with Jrue at the PG, and our frontcourt rotation.

I like it a lot more than Tyreke starting at SG, and some random 3/D guy like a PJ Tucker starting at SF. Tyreke and Gordon are both better basketball players than just some 3/D guy, and actually fit in the roles of starting SG and starting SF with this current roster construction.

Our team is fine. We have a good, playoff caliber rotation if everyone is healthy and gels quickly.

Can Reke defend the likes of LeBron, PG23, DeRozan etc?

Tyreke may be best as SF

Call me crazy, but towards the end of the season, didn't Tyreke start knocking down open threes? I mean, like one a game or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Can anyone on our roster? AD? Maybe. But we won't be matching up like that in game. I don't know if he can lock them up, but I'm sure he could hold his own against most of the SFs in the league, including DeRozan and PG. Outside of Kawhi, can anyone defend LeBron?

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Can anyone on our roster? AD? Maybe. But we won't be matching up like that in game. I don't know if he can lock them up, but I'm sure he could hold his own against most of the SFs in the league, including DeRozan and PG. Outside of Kawhi, can anyone defend LeBron?
    Togashi

Derozen and paul george are about the same size as tyreke...so I don't see that as a problem a lebron come on seriously not many people can guard him

Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    Derozen and paul george are about the same size as tyreke...so I don't see that as a problem a lebron come on seriously not many people can guard him
    Well exclude LeBron from the sample set then.

And Leonard aswell.

He's actually pretty good in 1 on 1 defense, he just struggles when he's off the ball and getting around screens. I think he's overall solid at d, and with his scoring ability he should def start at SF. He seems to really struggle when he comes off the bench as well.

During the season does it really matter? We play LBJ once, twice? Durant once, twice? The SFs we play the most are Parsons, Ariza, and Leonard. I'm not super worried about them destroying us.

Who else is there especially in the West?

We have a weakness at SF yes but not nearly as bad as many other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    During the season does it really matter? We play LBJ once, twice? Durant once, twice? The SFs we play the most are Parsons, Ariza, and Leonard. I'm not super worried about them destroying us.

Who else is there especially in the West?

We have a weakness at SF yes but not nearly as bad as many other teams.
    Agree and for me the only real threats that would give him trouble would be him and melo and then again melo will probably play pf so there is a huge drop off after those 2

The only problem I really have with starting Reke at the 3 and finishing Reke at the 3 is Gordon's length on the defensive side. With Asik and Davis down low on defense, we really just need long quick guys up top to close out on 3s. Teams will struggle to score at the rim on us no matter who we have up top because of our frontcourt. I would almost rather start Rivers at the 2 because he is much longer and always brings all out defensive intensity. Plus Rivers gives you a better spot up 3 point shooter than Gordon and he can get other teams in foul trouble at will, which seemed to be one our biggest offensive problems last year.

The offense will not be the problem, with Tyreke at the 3, but the defense may . It wont be because of him tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we'll see a lot more of Darius Miller he's a pretty good defender.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    The only problem I really have with starting Reke at the 3 and finishing Reke at the 3 is Gordon's length on the defensive side. With Asik and Davis down low on defense, we really just need long quick guys up top to close out on 3s. Teams will struggle to score at the rim on us no matter who we have up top because of our frontcourt. I would almost rather start Rivers at the 2 because he is much longer and always brings all out defensive intensity. Plus Rivers gives you a better spot up 3 point shooter than Gordon and he can get other teams in foul trouble at will, which seemed to be one our biggest offensive problems last year.

The offense will not be the problem, with Tyreke at the 3, but the defense may . It wont be because of him tho.

Gordon has a 6'9" wingspan, Rivers a 6'7".

People always bring up Lebron, Durant, George, etc. As if anyone can guard them. How about this:

With a guy like Reke, they will have to spend some energy on defense. Also, keep going down the list. I take Durant away, now go ahead and list the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best SF's in the West at creating their own offense
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    Gordon has a 6'9" wingspan, Rivers a 6'7".
    Should've done my research. I knew Rivers is 6'5 and Gordon is 6'3. I still stand by what I said though, can't teach effort. And Rivers is a noticeably better defender than Gordon.

I seem to remember Coach K saying something about how Gordon was one of the toughest defenders he'd ever seen at USA tryouts a few years ago. Where did that go?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    People always bring up Lebron, Durant, George, etc. As if anyone can guard them. How about this:

With a guy like Reke, they will have to spend some energy on defense. Also, keep going down the list. I take Durant away, now go ahead and list the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best SF's in the West at creating their own offense
    I guess Kawhi and Batum are second and third but neither is great at creating for himself, but can he keep guys like that off the offensive glass?
    Playing Reke at SF means he cant get out in transition as much as he likes to.

Early career Gordon was a bulldog defensively, particularly in team USA situations. With his knees limiting his explosiveness and effort and generalized unhappiness in NOLA, he has become a pretty poor defender.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

When I told you last month that Tyreke would be our starting SF you shat all over it. What changed your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Should've done my research. I knew Rivers is 6'5 and Gordon is 6'3. I still stand by what I said though, can't teach effort. And Rivers is a noticeably better defender than Gordon.

I seem to remember Coach K saying something about how Gordon was one of the toughest defenders he'd ever seen at USA tryouts a few years ago. Where did that go?

He got paid. Gordon has all the tools for great defense long arms, solid core, athletic, and quick feet. It's all about effort for him. In the game against the Rockets he completely locked down Harden.

Thread Information