Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh oh, Los Angeles Clippers Owner, Donald Sterling, Recorded Saying Racist Remarks

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    So back on topic, once the NBA "completes its investigation" there's no way Sterling stays right?
    Couldn't the league buy the team from Sterling and sell it almost immediately?
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...nba/index.html

This is SI's legal expert. The short simplified answer to your question is that they may be able to but it won't be very easy. The other owners might not want to set a precedent where the league can kick one of them out. Imagine if Roger Goodell had that kind of power.

This doesn't bode well for the NBA's image. I doubt he will do the gracious thing and step down either; the only people capable of removing him are the fans and the team itself. These comments were leaked at a very unfortunate time; it's hard to boycott something you have been working your *** off for the whole year.

Quote Originally Posted by cki3915 View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...nba/index.html

This is SI's legal expert. The short simplified answer to your question is that they may be able to but it won't be very easy. The other owners might not want to set a precedent where the league can kick one of them out. Imagine if Roger Goodell had that kind of power.
    Thanks for that link. Great info.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Wasn't CP the guy who said he only wanted an African American coach before they got Doc? You reap what you sew...
    Last edited by wuggie; 04-27-2014 at 04:37 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    This thread... wow.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Someone in L.A. should organize a rally outside the arena during the 1st Qtr.

Nobody enter building and take their seats until end of 1st qtr.

If this was Miami, they could pull this off easily.

But seriously... They should do this.

There are plenty of issues here but who listened to the recordings? I think beyond just being racist the guy wasn't in a stable frame of mind. Maybe he was just drunk but he was all over the place and couldn't form cohesive thoughts. She was trying to goad him into saying something racist and it was apparently difficult because he couldn't respond to basic questions in a direct way. She would ask something like "Why don't you like black people" and he would respond with "You really know how to hurt someone". What?
    The dude's racist either way, but that was pretty well-known beforehand. If him being racist in private but being leaked to the public is an issue then the NBA should have taken action beforehand. KJ said in an interview today that the players want to take action against racist allegations in his past but I wonder why him being racist in private now makes it an issue. Shouldn't that have been an issue long ago? Sounds like poor management to me.
    One interesting question here is is that let's remember that as terrible as his comments were, he didn't break any laws. He just said disgusting things that he thought were part of a private conversation. I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong but I think it sets an interesting precedent if the NBA starts taking punitive measures against it's own personnel for their personal beliefs. I think something as outlandish as racism is easy for us to say "yeah get rid of him" but once you establish that kind of action, you start having to draw lines in the sand.

In the end for the NBA they just need to be much more careful about who they decide to sell teams to which is difficult because how many non-terrible people are billionares interested in buying sports franchises?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

what a hypocrite Sterling is. I dont like black people but my girl is ok. thank god she recorded the bigot . the naacp was actually gonna give him an lifetime achieve ment award. WOW they really need to checkout the people they glorify with these so called achievement awards

Sterling is going to be gone after this, they'll find a way to get him out.
    The possibility of Los Angeles having two relevant teams is too much for the NBA to lose out on.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Am I making this up or did I see somewhere that Doc Rivers said he won't be returning next season as long as Sterling is the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Am I making this up or did I see somewhere that Doc Rivers said he won't be returning next season as long as Sterling is the owner?
    He said that he's questioning whether or not he should return to the Clippers. It may all be a moot point considering Magic Johnson just offered to buy the Clips.

Yeah because rivers obviously didn't know that sterling was a racist when he pushed in every possible way to be traded there. What a buffoon

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Yeah because rivers obviously didn't know that sterling was a racist when he pushed in every possible way to be traded there. What a buffoon
    Yea and that's why some of this is confusing to me. I guess even tho there were signs and things done before I think this in depth conversation takes the cake and is just too blatant. Especially now a days in today's world. I think fans should protest and boycott the clippers if only a fine and suspension is handed down. That's nothing. Unless if course he is forced out during the suspension and I'm thinking that's a big possibility at this point.

first black player to slap the bigot out Sterling get the mvp award this season. where Sprewell when you need him

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    He said that he's questioning whether or not he should return to the Clippers. It may all be a moot point considering Magic Johnson just offered to buy the Clips.
    IMO this would be best case scenario, but do you have any idea how long that would take? Legally I don't think the NBA or Silver can force an owner to sell their team. Look how long the process for our sale took place and that one had virtually no hiccups, this would be unprecedented. Also, Sterling is a long time lawyer who usually sues anyone who sues him, I don't expect anything to happen without a fight or quickly.

I'm just so very thankful this didn't happen to us...

Only 2 known ways to force an NBA owner to sell their team, you might remember #2.

Vinny Del Negro now knows why he was fired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I am sorry if what I say hurts your feelings....Wait, no I'm not!"

Only 2 known ways to force an NBA owner to sell their team, you might remember #2.

Meaning sterling till death
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan90277 View Post
    Vinny Del Negro now knows why he was fired

Yeah well, someone whose surname is "del negro" couldn't get along with sterling

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

He's morally bankrupt. That's almost the 2nd one, right?

That's the joke

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    I hate watermelon

=)

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He's morally bankrupt. That's almost the 2nd one, right?
    Wish it did.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan90277 View Post
    That's the joke

Taken straight from ESPN Top Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Nobody knows what Chris Paul or Doc Rivers knew before signing to go there. You can hear rumors, even lots of them about a person, but when they smile in your face and shake your hand when u meet them, it just doesn't strike you really hard until something more concrete like this comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Nobody knows what Chris Paul or Doc Rivers knew before signing to go there. You can hear rumors, even lots of them about a person, but when they smile in your face and shake your hand when u meet them, it just doesn't strike you really hard until something more concrete like this comes out.
    I can't believe it at all, sorry. According to players and whoever else sterling has never made secret of his racism. There were actually articles about it in past years, do you seriously think that players and especially coaches knew nothing about it? In the world of cinderella and pocahontas perhaps

Thread Information