Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Using the Stretch Provision on Eric Gordon

You guys inspired me (as usual). I did a part two that went more into the math and clauses while also focusing on doing something similar to what the Suns did with Beasley. Thoughts?

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...beasley-model/
    @mcnamara247

Outside of Hayward and Stephenson, the SG market is fairly weak. I think his agent would be all over taking a buyout that let him hit the market this offseason.

Love the article MM. I am absolutely on the wagon for using this on him NOW!!! Why wait? That cap space we get is better than nothing and as we all SHOULD know by now. We are a better team WITHOUT him on the court. Let's hope dell doesn't have too big of an ego and want to look like a genius and think he can maneuver a trade next year that will net some value or get his contract off the books completely.(run on sentence I know). Seriously tho, I really hope dell gets this thing rolling sooner than later cause I can't stand to watch my team I absolutely love to the core be a lotto team for 1 more year with the phenom Anthony Davis.

Why wait? That cap space we get is better than nothing
    You may be selling it short Some projections have the cap going up to $62.9 million. If you cut Gordon's cap figure to $7.5 million next season, the cap goes up, and you cut ties with everyone besides Davis, Holiday, Anderson, Evans and Rivers. you'd have $14 million in cap space. That gives you lots of options, you could possibly sign both Gortat and Ariza, or if you'd rather save the cap space for 2015, you could front load future friendly deals for Morrow/Smith or over pay decent players to take a one year deal.

Honestly with this option available I'll be highly disappointed if Gordon is on this team next year. Passing on this will be a huge oversight.

So my question is was Beasley's contract signed under the new CBA or the old one? It was my understanding that with the new CBA you can no longer negotiate a buyout. Whatever is guaranteed is it.I thought that was the reason they included the stretch provision.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Buyouts happen all the time. Danny Granger for instance. Big Baby, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Buyouts happen all the time. Danny Granger for instance. Big Baby, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I know they happen. I just thought they were from old CBA contracts. I'm not at home so I can't check what the rules are. I'll look it up later. I didn't think they could negotiate buyouts of new cba contracts and that that was the reason for the inclusion of the stretch provision. I could have misread however.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yeah I know they happen. I just thought they were from old CBA contracts. I'm not at home so I can't check what the rules are. I'll look it up later. I didn't think they could negotiate buyouts of new cba contracts and that that was the reason for the inclusion of the stretch provision. I could have misread however.
    You can look, but there are no restrictions against a player and a team negotiating a buyout. Neither side would want that. Think about it. Why would owners want that to be illegal? Players?

I think you might be thinking about something else. The stretch provision was put in place to help give more options in how you can manage waiving a player with regard to your cap. It's meant to enhance buyouts, not replace them.

You can look, but there are no restrictions against a player and a team negotiating a buyout. Neither side would want that. Think about it. Why would owners want that to be illegal? Players?

I think you might be thinking about something else. The stretch provision was put in place to help give more options in how you can manage waiving a player with regard to your cap. It's meant to enhance buyouts, not replace them.
    The way I saw it was removing negotiations of buyouts benefited players because they were guaranteed all of their money even if waived. And owners got the stretch provision to allow for better handling of waived contracts. But like I said, I might have misunderstood.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I think that BP225 makes a good argument for a trade with the Knicks, otherwise I think that the stretch is the next best option

The way I saw it was removing negotiations of buyouts benefited players because they were guaranteed all of their money even if waived. And owners got the stretch provision to allow for better handling of waived contracts. But like I said, I might have misunderstood.

Players have to agree to the buyout, so they only do it if it benefits them. Not like they are forced to do it. They can refuse to take less in a buyout and if owner waives them, they get all their money. Players lose nothing, gain ability to leave like Granger and Davis did for playoff teams if buyouts exist. They love it, as do owners.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    I think that BP225 makes a good argument for a trade with the Knicks, otherwise I think that the stretch is the next best option
    Trading him for any expiring, even if we have to include a Rivers, a Pierre, or a future protected 1st rounder, is the best case scenario IMO. This is a last case resort, but still better than just letting him languish here for 2 years. Better than trading him for a Josh Smith too IMO

Players have to agree to the buyout, so they only do it if it benefits them. Not like they are forced to do it. They can refuse to take less in a buyout and if owner waives them, they get all their money. Players lose nothing, gain ability to leave like Granger and Davis did for playoff teams if buyouts exist. They love it, as do owners.
    Ok. I found what I was talking about. Here's the quote :

" The waiving team continues to pay the guaranteed portion of the terminated contract (see question number 63). For contracts signed or extended before the current CBA took effect, the team and player may negotiate a revised payment schedule (see question numbers 66 and 67). The revised payment schedule may call for the guaranteed portion of the player's salary to be paid over a longer or shorter period of time than originally specified in the contract, or even as a lump sum.

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed for contracts signed or extended under the current CBA. For these contracts or extensions the remaining guaranteed salary for a waived player is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year."

So according to this you can only negotiate previous CBA contracts. All contracts signed or extended under the new CBA can only be stretched. I knew I had read that somewhere.

Trading him straight up is the only way it's better than the stretch. But you need to find out if a deal is there on draft night. If it isn't, start negotiating the buyout the next day so Gordon is on the market at 12:01 July 1st and can get the biggest deal possible from another team.

Ok. I found what I was talking about. Here's the quote :

" The waiving team continues to pay the guaranteed portion of the terminated contract (see question number 63). For contracts signed or extended before the current CBA took effect, the team and player may negotiate a revised payment schedule (see question numbers 66 and 67). The revised payment schedule may call for the guaranteed portion of the player's salary to be paid over a longer or shorter period of time than originally specified in the contract, or even as a lump sum.

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed for contracts signed or extended under the current CBA. For these contracts or extensions the remaining guaranteed salary for a waived player is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year."

So according to this you can only negotiate previous CBA contracts. All contracts signed or extended under the new CBA can only be stretched. I knew I had read that somewhere.

Doesn't make sense because Beasley signed his contract after the new CBA. July of 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...to-3-year-deal

Another thing to ask Coon!

Doesn't make sense because Beasley signed his contract after the new CBA. July of 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...to-3-year-deal

Another thing to ask Coon!
    Weird. I got my info from cbafaq so maybe they had something wrong. Please ask so we can clear this up. Lol. I know I'm not that smart but geez this was making me think I'm crazy.

Weird. I got my info from cbafaq so maybe they had something wrong. Please ask so we can clear this up. Lol. I know I'm not that smart but geez this was making me think I'm crazy.

Yeah, Beasley signed same summer as Gordon, so if they could do it for him I cant imagine Pels can't follow the same formula.

I just hope Demps is aware of this stretch provision and knows
    how to use it to its full advantage when they want to add a free agent
    to the core four. Not before or after. The timing is vital.

Yeah, Beasley signed same summer as Gordon, so if they could do it for him I cant imagine Pels can't follow the same formula.
    I certainly hope so! The more options the better. If we can do something like that I'd rather negotiate and cut him this summer. Absorb the entire year's cap hit at whatever it is and stretch the last year. Might be able to reduce the his cap amount even more doing it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I just hope Demps is aware of this stretch provision and knows
    how to use it to its full advantage when they want to add a free agent
    to the core four. Not before or after. The timing is vital.
    Demps has a great capologist that knows all this stuff, and even if he doesn't, not to toot our horn but we know he reads all our stuff. If he didn't know, now he knows! #Biggie

I certainly hope so! The more options the better. If we can do something like that I'd rather negotiate and cut him this summer. Absorb the entire year's cap hit at whatever it is and stretch the last year. Might be able to reduce the his cap amount even more doing it this way.

Yeah, and it allows us to give the four guards we actually want here (Jrue, Evans, Rivers, Morrow) the minutes they deserve as opposed to him eating up 25-30 just because we need to showcase him for the small chance we can trade him.

I would be so curious to see what he would get on the open market. His surgery isn't a big deal; he could be 100% by June. Would love to see him humbled on the FA market.

Yeah, and it allows us to give the four guards we actually want here (Jrue, Evans, Rivers, Morrow) the minutes they deserve as opposed to him eating up 25-30 just because we need to showcase him for the small chance we can trade him.

I would be so curious to see what he would get on the open market. His surgery isn't a big deal; he could be 100% by June. Would love to see him humbled on the FA market.
    Not me. I hope we cut him and he gets a max deal this summer. Lol. All the better our cap.

Not me. I hope we cut him and he gets a max deal this summer. Lol. All the better our cap.

I will add to that - max deal to a Western Conference team, so he can submarine the competition all while helping us!

It's really a catch 22 isn't it?
    This season or next?
    He could be traded.....but that's a small chance.
    There are better free agents next season.

I think it all depends on who Demps is targeting to add
    to this core four and when they will be available.

Thread Information