Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Luke Babbit Almost a Pelican?

If Monty does plan to play him at the 3, I don't get this signing at all. He played stretch 4 his final season in Portland and the team thrived with him in that role. Miller has the backup SF role down and can actually guard the wing.

I just won't believe it until I see it. He is a stretch 4. If Monty thinks otherwise or plays him at the 3, there will be another thing he does that I can't explain/defend.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...still_mor.html

Did one of you negative nancies on here write this article? Good God, Jimmy Smith couldn't paint a gloomier picture if he had a palette of black and grey paint
    How is that article negative. Literally 100% accurate. It is a fan's job to postulate about the 1% chance that he breaks out and makes a key contribution. But an objective person would probably write exactly what Smith did here. I am not a fan of Nola.com, but I think this is one of the best written articles I have seen from them.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    He did shoot 51% from the ole arc over there in the ole 'evil empire' Russia
    You'd hope so as it is a significantly closer line, against worse defenses.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I was actually pretty excited at the prospect of having a stretch four out there again but if Monty's gonna play him at the 3 then I don't expect much from Babbit.
    @DanielVeuleman

Everyone said negative things about Alexis when he came but I would say he has helped this team about lets give the guy a chance before we call it a waste of a signing .

Babbit for the Blazers played 40% at SF in two years

He can play both forward positions for this team

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    How is that article negative. Literally 100% accurate. It is a fan's job to postulate about the 1% chance that he breaks out and makes a key contribution. But an objective person would probably write exactly what Smith did here. I am not a fan of Nola.com, but I think this is one of the best written articles I have seen from them.
    Criticizing Dell for bringing in low-risk end-of-bench guys to fill in for an injury ridden team by calling him Desperate Dell (referencing his own joke, mind you) is a reach. He's bringing in guys like Ajinca who was a nobody but has played pretty good here. He brinnging in Babbitt to spin the wheels and see what he has. Obviously something impressed him enough to buy him out in Russia. Will Babbitt blow up for us? Probably not, but honestly who here is REALISTICALLY expecting that? This article set the tone wrong painting a picture of a desperate Dell trying to grasp for straws? Why? In an ultra competitive west and with our injury situation, the best we can do with this season is to give time to our young guys. For all we know this move could be a signing to prepare for another move we may make (Morrow? Aminu?).

Quote Originally Posted by kaitos View Post

It was less and less every year, and the top lineups in terms of effectiveness featured him at the 4.

Yes, he did play 3 but he was poor and more importantly, the team was poor when he did.

And more specific to this team, what do we think is better with Tyreke and Rivers (two guys who drive the ball to the paint) in the backcourt -

Morrow-Babbitt-Stiemsma frontcourt

or

Babitt-Withey-Stiemsma frontcourt

??

Criticizing Dell for bringing in low-risk end-of-bench guys to fill in for an injury ridden team by calling him Desperate Dell (referencing his own joke, mind you) is a reach. He's bringing in guys like Ajinca who was a nobody but has played pretty good here. He brinnging in Babbitt to spin the wheels and see what he has. Obviously something impressed him enough to buy him out in Russia. Will Babbitt blow up for us? Probably not, but honestly who here is REALISTICALLY expecting that? This article set the tone wrong painting a picture of a desperate Dell trying to grasp for straws? Why? In an ultra competitive west and with our injury situation, the best we can do with this season is to give time to our young guys. For all we know this move could be a signing to prepare for another move we may make (Morrow? Aminu?).
    Or this is a signing because they knew he would be filling in for an injured Jason Smith. God forbid they know something we don't know.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Granted, Babbitt hasn't warranted much praise for his NAB play so far, but let's give him a chance and see what comes of this opportunity....
    Last edited by ramsters60; 02-04-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Granted, Babbitt hasn't warranted much praise for his NAB play so far, but let's give him a chance ans see what comes of this opportunity....
    Bro, what are you talking about? His stats from 2 seasons ago tell me this guys is horrible. No way he could ever improve /sarcasm

When speculation is positive, everyone loves it. When its negative, people say not to say anything until we get to see it.

Part of the fan and writer process is forecasting the future - and you can't just do it when the future appears rosy. Tell it like it is (or will likely be) whether the news looks good or bad.

Could he be a nice piece? Sure. But odds say he won't be. Now, flip it around. Imagine we got a guy who, based on the past, looks like he will be good in the future. How would people react if someone projected a bad future? We would go off on them, right?

So, why is there so much encouragement to do the opposite? Odds are more likely that this will be another guy who passes through, but how dare people say that! Gotta give him a chance, right? Then, let's never speculate on the positive side, either. Let's just always wait and see. That would be the only fair way.

I hope the best for any player. I think we should be realistic about the prospect though. We can't hit on every bottom of the barrel player we sign.

You are missing the part where my frustration with the article was with him calling Dell desperate Dell when he was signing guys on the street to fill in for injuries (hr references his own article about amundson and Childress). How is the signing of Babbitt making Dell look desperate? That's what irked me

We aren't anywhere close to winning this year and we have a gaping hole at the 4... Why not take a flyer? That isn't a desperation move at all

You are missing the part where my frustration with the article was with him calling Dell desperate Dell when he was signing guys on the street to fill in for injuries (hr references his own article about amundson and Childress). How is the signing of Babbitt making Dell look desperate? That's what irked me
    Okay, maybe that is a fair critique. Originally, you said it was a negative article. I took that to mean the whole thing.

That part - yeah, a little off base.

Okay, maybe that is a fair critique. Originally, you said it was a negative article. I took that to mean the whole thing.

That part - yeah, a little off base.
    I'm saying that mainly because he was pumping his own name for Dell at the beginning of the article, setting that tone for the remainder. I agree that this guy probably won't be more than a body that plays some minutes. Anything more and I'll be surprised. But we gotta bring in people to begin with for us to be surprised or for him to meet our low expectations

Again, I like Babbitt if used correctly. If Monty uses him at the three, I can't defend this move.

Again, I like Babbitt if used correctly. If Monty uses him at the three, I can't defend this move.
    Welp get ready this is Monty, he's not the brightest guy at rotations.

Monty's interview:

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/#/video/...141/index.html

Basically says Babbitt could play 3 or 4. Says he might be playing more 3 in the immediate if Tyreke's injury keeps him out. Says he can play Ryan Anderson's role, but is definitely smaller than Ryno.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

If Monty does plan to play him at the 3, I don't get this signing at all. He played stretch 4 his final season in Portland and the team thrived with him in that role. Miller has the backup SF role down and can actually guard the wing.

I just won't believe it until I see it. He is a stretch 4. If Monty thinks otherwise or plays him at the 3, there will be another thing he does that I can't explain/defend.
    Monty gets rid of a athletic PG in Tyshawn Taylor who can buy into a defensive scheme from a defensive minded coach and who actually have the feet and skillset to be a quick/active defender on the perimeter BETTER THAN
    A Luke Babbitt who is god awful slow as a defender but can be a spot shooter on the 3ball around AD.
    What, offense over defense now?

*Seems Monty shys away from atheletic players, he like more of the Steims, Lance Thomas, Luke Babbitt, Brian Roberts or the Jason Smith types.

No matter what Monty does with Babbit this year does not really matter in the long term.

Dell Demps does this all the time. He has signed or traded for players like Brian Roberts, Gustavo Ayon, Alexi Ajenca, Lance Thomas, and Grievas Vasquez. No one knew what to expect from any of them and they all made positive contributions. Arinze Onuaku, Rodney Carney, Lou Amundson, G Xavier Henry. G Terrell Harris, F/C Henry Sims, Donald Sloan, Dominic McGuire. G Carldell Johnson, F DaJuan Summers, Darryl Watkins, and C Chris Johnson etc, all contributed very little.
    This is how you churn the bottom of any roster, what Luke Babbit becomes is to be seen, but taking a chance on a 24 year old player drafted # 16 overall is worth a shot. Is he that one player to put a team over the top as Jimmy Smith made sure we all know he isn't, of course he is not a savior. He could however become a nice piece to complete this team, if not, on to the next!
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Monty gets rid of a athletic PG in Tyshawn Taylor who can buy into a defensive scheme from a defensive minded coach and who actually have the feet and skillset to be a quick/active defender on the perimeter BETTER THAN
    A Luke Babbitt who is god awful slow as a defender but can be a spot shooter on the 3ball around AD.
    What, offense over defense now?

*Seems Monty shys away from atheletic players, he like more of the Steims, Lance Thomas, Luke Babbitt, Brian Roberts or the Jason Smith types.
    Probably should be pointed out that Monty is a coach. He's not in charge of personnel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for.
    The player I saw him compared to most during the draft was Keith Van Horn, that would be a ceiling I am pretty sure he won't come close to. That said Van Horn was a good offensive player who struggled on D, pretty much what we expect.
    Last edited by redrum; 02-04-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaitos View Post

Or he can't play either?

Thread Information