Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    youthful team on the rise with major quality surrounding him, owner who is dedicated to winning pronto, brand new state of the art practice facility, one of the most unique cities in the world with amazing cuisine, excellent living areas abound, as energetic and supportive a fanbase as can be found anywhere, become a part of the original and ongoing Pelican legend....
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Oden does not have to play that much with the squad we have. He can work his way back into the league gradually while still getting payed. Can we offer him the most money? No; we do have an exciting team though. Money aside we are his best opportunity. I can see him possibly getting overworked somewhere else.
    Combine these 2 into one, and that's a pretty nice pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So let's have some fun with this. Role play - you are Dell. What is your pitch? Keep in mind the other teams that are interested and the fact that you can only offer the vet minimum. Pitch. Go!
    Expectations: With us, you'll have your time to rehab and not get thrown on the court. There's absolutely no reason to rush you back, we want to make sure you're 100% before you get back on the court. You won't feel any pressure to play a certain amount of minutes because anything you can give us with just considered as bonus.

Team:We can't offer you as big of a contract as some of the other guys or a chance to ride the pine and get a ring, but It's not often you get an opportunity to play with a team growing that can also make it to the playoffs. You can be a part of this. A lot of the guys we have, you know from your AAU days, so support system will be there. when you get in the game, we'll give you an opportunity to do what you do best on the court. If things work out like we both want them to in regards to health, look at my history and you know i can work on something longer-term that will work for both of us. Can't promise you anything today, but this may be one of the only teams you have an opporunity on being on for the next 3-5 years if this play out right. You can just be a member of the Pelicans here and not have to worry about previous expectations. The spotlight will be on AD.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Greg's descision may say alot about him. I can't say he shouldn't go after the money, but it would be pretty admirable (and smart) if he took less money to play here.

I think Portland can sign and trade him.

They should still have his rights.

He hasn't signed with anyone else or been traded, has he?

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I think Portland can sign and trade him.

They should still have his rights.

He hasn't signed with anyone else or been traded, has he?
    They declined his final year on his rookie deal i beleive and i'm guessing renounced to clear the cap hold; they'd still have right after that???

We could have the inside track to him since he and coach have some what of a pass. Coach was an assistant coach with the Blazers when Greg was with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    First, let's look into the psyche of Greg Oden the best we can with the limited resources we have by using this personal interview: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...plagued-career

What we can immediately learn from this is that Greg does not like attention, and "[he doesn't] like when people come up on the street to talk to [him], and it's why [he doesn't] like to do interviews." While typically being a smaller market is a disadvantage, I'd argue that it might actually be an advantage here. Can you imagine all the attention that would be on him if he went to a place like Miami or even Dallas? Chris Andersen became a star in half a season for Miami. What would it be like for Oden, a former number 1 pick? The pressure and the stakes would be higher, and as we saw with Portland, there can't be any unnecessary pressure on him. The team that gets him needs to be patient and work with him. We can be patient. We have other options at center, and we're not title hunting this year and likely won't be until 3 years from now.

In Portland, the person that was guiding him was an alcoholic and "[he] was on [his] own a bunch and didn't have veteran teammates around to help [him] adapt to the NBA lifestyle." In New Orleans, he will be with a team with a good culture, a great coach that he is familiar with, and players that he has known. Also, for what it's worth, Monty has always been very good at limiting players minutes and giving players rest when needed (take notes, Thibs). For a guy with an injury history, it should be reassuring to know that he won't be run into the ground and his minutes will be handled properly.

Lastly, perhaps the biggest issue with our pitch: money. We don't have the money to give him an offer some other teams do. But perhaps this isn't as big of an issue. Greg says, "I just want to play basketball. I could've signed with a team after Portland cut me and just sat on the bench and collected paychecks, but that's not my style. That just seems really unethical. Besides, money doesn't matter to me. I've got enough money. All I want is to get 100 percent healthy and get back on the court."

If he's true to his word, then it doesn't matter. He just wants to play and hopefully, it'll be for the Pelicans.
    Dang, Dell needs to sign you to an "aquire Greg Oden contract. I would like to add to your pitch.

You can specifly tell Oden how he will be used on the court. You can tell him that we have a starting position at Center that needs to be filled. Obviously we are concerned about his health, but we can keep goods tabs on it because our starting center will only be needed for 15-20 mins a game. He will be able to start, play at his own pace, and contribute to a young and upping team in a small market that won't over analyze his every move.

Also, you can assure him that we will have a support system in place to make sure that the temptations of Nola won't get to him. We will keep him off of Bourbon when he doesn't need to be there, away from Harras when he can't afford it, and eliminate the begniets when he shouldn't be eating them.

Show him how badly we want him and how much we will support him, and I think you may trump the money issue. The one thing Miami offers now that we can't is a huge chance at a ring If he feels his knees can't hold up for more than one season, he'll probably sign there anyways.
    Jrue dat

This isn't Greg Oden related, but it does have to do with Portland while Oden was there. Why can't Nate McMillan get a job anywhere? With all the recent crap coaching hires, when will Nate get another go of it? I wouldn't mind bringing him on board down here if we got rid of Monty.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Love this right chea...

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    This isn't Greg Oden related, but it does have to do with Portland while Oden was there. Why can't Nate McMillan get a job anywhere? With all the recent crap coaching hires, when will Nate get another go of it? I wouldn't mind bringing him on board down here if we got rid of Monty.
    He's on the Pacer's staff.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

He got a job as assist I think with Doc.

Correction Pacers.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2013/6/2...ch-with-pacers

This would be a tremendous signing whether it works out or not. There isn't much of a risk for us bc we are only paying him 1 mil, and it could yield a high reward.

They still have his rights. Maybe they can't us a Bird exception to sign him, but they can still sign and trade him since they were the last team he played for if they can sign him.

They have the Room Mid-Level Exception.

They can do a Lopez style deal for two expirings, or Smith, or a pick, or some combination.

This is an easy sell...just show him how we handled Gordon the last 2 years. There is no way anyone could say that we rush players back from injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by saints5021 View Post
    This is an easy sell...just show him how we handled Gordon the last 2 years. There is no way anyone could say that we rush players back from injuries.
    No, don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by saints5021 View Post
    He'll want to be overpaid to play less than half of 2 years..?

Demps is the ultimate salesman, Break him down and build him back up... Dell: son you've done nothing in this league, these teams dont care about you, who cares about you? Dell cares about you, so come work for Dell and i'll take care of u

this is from back in may

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...plagued-career

interesting interview

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    They still have his rights. Maybe they can't us a Bird exception to sign him, but they can still sign and trade him since they were the last team he played for if they can sign him.

They have the Room Mid-Level Exception.

They can do a Lopez style deal for two expirings, or Smith, or a pick, or some combination.
    if thats the case it may help our chances, take a guy like roberts and S & T him so you can give Oden a little more money

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    if thats the case it may help our chances, take a guy like roberts and S & T him so you can give Oden a little more money
    not sure were in the business of trading proven assets for disproven assets, even tho roberts isnt quite proven yet oden is past disproven. I'd love to sign him but only at no change to the great guard depth we have

In Demps I trust not to make that move.

So basically we could have gotten oden in the Lopez deal instead of withey?

If I'm DD, here's my pitch:

1) Coaching. You are familiar with Monty and he is familiar with you. These other coaches know nothing about you, how your experience was in Portland, the good, the bad, etc. You will walk into a situation with some degree of comfortability.

2.) System. You know Monty likes to get the ball inside to his bigs. In Miami, they are at their best when Bosh is playing the 5 and knocking down 18 foot jumpers. Their system is built around spreading the floor and kicking out for jump shots. That's not your role. You're best bet in MIA is to be a matchup player vs. the Hibberts of the world.

3.) Playing time. Our C position is wide open. We have 3 or 4 guys who we think are servicable and capable, but you are easily the most talented one of the bunch. It would be an even competition, and you would be coming into an opportunity to play right away.

4.) Our Roster. This roster is full of guys who are your age, guys you are familiar with, guys who you can eventually grow with and become part of our core. If things work out, and we hold your bird rights, then you would be in line for a very good contract with us down the line because our owner is committed.

5.) The Market. Despite the best offseason of the NBA, we are still flying below the radar. You can come in here, national pressure and expectations will be tempered, and you can focus on one thing: basketball.

Greg Oden is a top 10 Center when healthy..... maybe top 5. IN the games he did play, he was dominate
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by DaGoodDrew-Jrue View Post
    not sure were in the business of trading proven assets for disproven assets, even tho roberts isnt quite proven yet oden is past disproven. I'd love to sign him but only at no change to the great guard depth we have
    we've got about 5 guys on this team that can run PG and possibly none who can play the 5. disproven assets with high reward > proven asset to be a 3rd string PG in a crowded back court

Thread Information