Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Has anyone else been wondering if bigdub actually got his logo and unis concepts to the hornets management? Maybe it's all his work what we'll see tomorrow!

And by the way, ARGH, i have uni till 6 pm and then i have to teach for an hour and a half. I'll miss the live action..damn

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    So you are saying you care more about our name than the actual franchise? You care more about the Pelicans name than the excitement of watching Davis, Gordon, Rivers, and Anderson grow together? About Monty and Demps? About local ownership?

Hmm.....

We could be named the New Orleans Butt-Munchers for all I care, and I'd still support this franchise. It's about more than just a name. {edited - personal attacks not allowed}
    In probably 5 years or less there will only remain 2 or 3 players of the actual team. The name, logo and colours of the franchises stay forever. That's why ppl like me who is a hornet since Charlotte days and non native new orleanian, identifies himself with the team for it and is a sad day for all of us.
    Last edited by takezor; 01-23-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takezor View Post
    In probably 5 years or less there will only renain 2 or 3 players of the actual team. The name, logo and colours of the franchises stay forever. That's why ppl like me who is a hornet since Charlotte days idintifies himself with the team for it and is a sad day for all of us.
    Thing is, the history with this franchise (despite being a different name) won't change.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    The players that will be here or wont be here have nothing to do with the current fans. Most of the New Orleans fans have loved the team since they moved here. It's not going to change 5 years from now. Heck I started liking the team as soon as I found out they were moving here, even while they were still in Charlotte. Started playing with them on NBA Live and all.

Quote Originally Posted by supermati View Post
    A question for everyone: Pelicans lovers and haters, Hornets lovers and haters.

How would you feel if next season Charlotte become the Hornets?
    With the new orleans switching to pelicans, at least i would want charlotte to take back the hornets. I would be rooting for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    So you are saying you care more about our name than the actual franchise? You care more about the Pelicans name than the excitement of watching Davis, Gordon, Rivers, and Anderson grow together? About Monty and Demps? About local ownership?

Hmm.....

We could be named the New Orleans Butt-Munchers for all I care, and I'd still support this franchise. It's about more than jus f t a name.
    I don't judge people for why they support other than bandwagoners. For me it's just bad business to ignore such a large number of people on something you are trying to sell them. I've never said I would stop supporting the team. Matter fact everything I've said thus far has been the exact opposite.

Since Benson currently owns the "Hornets" brand, would Charlotte have to provide some compensation in order to regain the brand?

With the new orleans switching to pelicans, at least i would want charlotte to take back the hornets. I would be rooting for both teams.
    But then the Hornets you would be rooting for won't the same Hornets that you once knew. And the Pelicans would be a team that you used to know.

Gotye, is that you?

And LOL at the concept of selling a championship to accept the team name like they are some how tied.

Or even worse is the after X amount of years you won't care.

@nativerhythms

That is a great question that I have not seen asked yet. I would think Jordan would have to pay Benson for the name or wait until whenever the copyright runs out and hope we don't re-up. Or does the NBA "own" the name and not Benson? Sounds like something 42 can answer.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 01-23-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nativerhythms View Post
    Since Benson currently owns the "Hornets" brand, would Charlotte have to provide some compensation in order to regain the brand?
    I wouldnt think so.

I love the idea of the Pelicans and I dont care if anyone thinks if it is not intimidating! Not all of the names in the NBA are intimidating and plus Pelicans is a name that really goes with the city and its culture and I am a strong believer of that being a big factor in the rebrand name!

Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Pay off matt carolls contract and we have a deal

Quote Originally Posted by nativerhythms View Post
    just give us Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and we'll call it even.

Ill take your 1st rounder this year and we are even.

The history of the hornets would be part of the pelicans still i guess. Even the Charlotte one of LJ, ZO, Bogues, Curry etc? Could/Would Charlotte pay to get the history of the team when they were in town?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    And LOL at the concept of selling a championship to accept the team name like they are some how tied.

Or even worse is the after X amount of years you won't care.
    It's not a sell. It's the truth. Do you care that the Knicks are called the Knicks? You know it's a ridiculous name in a vacuum but you think anyone cares?

After X amount of years you won't care even if you think our name was the most awesome name ever created in the history of teamnames you won't care in time.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    But then the Hornets you would be rooting for won't the same Hornets that you once knew. And the Pelicans would be a team that you used to know.

Gotye, is that you?
    This reminds me of an article I read this morning.

The history of the hornets would be part of the pelicans still i guess. Even the Charlotte one of LJ, ZO, Bogues, Curry etc? Could/Would Charlotte pay to get the history of the team when they were in town?
    we better keep the 2008 SW Div Champ banner hanging... w/ the fleur-de-bee logo
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

I think they would have to. Not like they are going to replace the retired players jerseys with pelicans jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    This reminds me of an article I read this morning.
    Exactly, just because the name of the team changes doesn't mean the name in your memories is subject to change. Just like when the 1st half of this franchise's team name (Charlotte) changed back in whatever year it was when they moved here (03?) to New Orleans, it doesn't mean that all those memories of the games in Charlotte wouldn't instantly be replaced with New Orleans in the moniker.

Just like the Nintendo gets replaced with the Super Nintendo, you miss the Nintendo, but you move on to the Super Nintendo because it's the next big thing and you don't have a choice. You'll still remember all the fun times you had with Nintendo though. You'll still have fun with the Super Nintendo, but it won't replace the memories of your original Nintendo.

Now your friend goes 10 years later and buys a imposter/remake/re-release-but-not-the-same Nintendo with the same games on it. But it's not the same as the original you had where you had to blow on the Cartridge to get it to play. (this would be what applies to charlotte buying the name back)

About compensating Benson: The NBA owns the trademarks. It all runs through them.

This early move to rebrand opens the soor for a Hornets swap, but I wouldn't count on it. It could happen, but it eon't fix issues there.

The biggest issue to consider is market confusion. Who are the Hornets if the Charlotte rebrands? No shared history was agreed to as with Seattle and the Thunder. It's all very silly really. People need to embrace the road that got them to where they are and stop trying to revise things. Just accept it. Some things are not like lightbulbs... no unscrewing...

To summarize. 42 is saying let the hornets die.

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    less than 26 hours until the Hornets meet the

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    I'm not thrilled at the name, but I am glad to finally get rid of the last trace of the Hornets. It's time to move forward, people!

Thread Information