Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans vs Thunder (YHT) Game 1 Playoffs! GAMEDAY THREAD!

Playoffs Pelicans vs Thunder (YHT) Game 1 Playoffs! GAMEDAY THREAD!

First Round Game 1 tonight!

They found a way to get here. It's all still right there. Can they take it? Playoffs!

Play good defence , play with heart , play like a TEAM & Then You will have a chance to win this one.

CJ must not shoot bricks.

The Franchise
    Does Herb do okay against SGA? Or is he just a problem no matter who we put on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Does Herb do okay against SGA? Or is he just a problem no matter who we put on him?
    Herb and Dyson defend him perfectly well, he's had rough games against us for the most part this year (Dyson especially, his lateral movement is hell for SGA) but it all depends on whether the refs give him bailout calls. Like it or not, SGA is a master of getting them to call things, and if they decide to lean into his flailing we're kinda screwed regardless of how good we defend it.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Herb and Dyson defend him perfectly well, he's had rough games against us for the most part this year (Dyson especially, his lateral movement is hell for SGA) but it all depends on whether the refs give him bailout calls. Like it or not, SGA is a master of getting them to call things, and if they decide to lean into his flailing we're kinda screwed regardless of how good we defend it.
    Well that's comforting, at least we won't get abused by him. I didn't catch our games against OKC so I wasn't sure. I might be a bit overly optimistic, but if we can get through a long series against OKC, maybe we'll have Zion back for the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Well that's comforting, at least we won't get abused by him. I didn't catch our games against OKC so I wasn't sure. I might be a bit overly optimistic, but if we can get through a long series against OKC, maybe we'll have Zion back for the next.
    In three games against NOP this season, SGA shot 8/20, 10/21, and 9/20 from the floor, scoring below his season average in 2/3 games and below his season average FG% in all three, and going a combined 4/17 from 3.

The problem was that he got to the FT line, hit them (over 80% in all three games), didn't turn it over, and we got killed elsewhere. Josh Giddey had a 25 game against us for goodness' sake.

I'm confident we can control SGA as long as the refs are semi-reasonable, but I'm less sure about the rest of it. Chet is a great player, and though we've put him in the Jonas Valanciunas torture chamber a few times (he weighs nothing and JV bullies him) I'm not sure how willing Green will be to play through that.

Herb not on the defensive player of the year list

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Did anyone actually expect it?

Zach Lowe has him on his First Team All D list though, which is nice. The other 4 on there are all rim protecting bigs, which basically means Lowe says Herb is the best perimeter defender in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    I wouldnt expect Herb to get a look as a DPOY unless we win a few rings. Look back at all the past ones. They are either rim protectors or the best defensive player on championship teams. Or named Micheal Jordan but he was all of those things and a gave you a little on offense as well.

The Franchise
    In three games against NOP this season, SGA shot 8/20, 10/21, and 9/20 from the floor, scoring below his season average in 2/3 games and below his season average FG% in all three, and going a combined 4/17 from 3.

The problem was that he got to the FT line, hit them (over 80% in all three games), didn't turn it over, and we got killed elsewhere. Josh Giddey had a 25 game against us for goodness' sake.

I'm confident we can control SGA as long as the refs are semi-reasonable, but I'm less sure about the rest of it. Chet is a great player, and though we've put him in the Jonas Valanciunas torture chamber a few times (he weighs nothing and JV bullies him) I'm not sure how willing Green will be to play through that.
    MVP bringing out the data.. You touched on something that I'd like to see more of. JV getting more looks and playing time in the 4th, during crunch time. Hopefully we do see it in this series.

The home team won every opening game this weekend and BY A LOT. Only one game was by single digits and it still didn't seem close. Almost all blowouts. If we're going to steal a game, it's more likely to be game 2. It's not impossible tonight just saying not to get too down in the dumps if we get blown out.

The idea is to steal one game away and it's most likely not game one. We're just not a normal team with how we play home-away.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    The home team won every opening game this weekend and BY A LOT. Only one game was by single digits and it still didn't seem close. Almost all blowouts. If we're going to steal a game, it's more likely to be game 2. It's not impossible tonight just saying not to get too down in the dumps if we get blown out.

The idea is to steal one game away and it's most likely not game one. We're just not a normal team with how we play home-away.
    We win both games on the road then go home and lose. It's the Pelicans way.

Frankly, this is why we didn't want home court. It's genius, in a way. Lose home court advantage, then win every road game = championship.

Frankly, this is why we didn't want home court. It's genius, in a way. Lose home court advantage, then win every road game = championship.
    I'm starting to wonder if this was part of the plan. Like I said in the other thread, road court advantage.

As for MSU's post, don't sleep on this team on the road. If any team can steal a first game this weekend you can't overlook the team with the best road record in the nba this year.

Well, after watching Chet and SGA sing to each other on this commercial I really want us to stomp them tonight.

The Franchise
    Unreal.. I guess they don't want JV in the game.

In Jonas we trust

How OKC is starting is how we started against the Kings. Lots of nerves, a bit disjointed, shots rimming out. We need to take advantage and bury them before they right the ship.

Haha. I'd believe it.

Basketball Guru
    no inside game without jonas...

we shooting all outside shots.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    no inside game without jonas...

we shooting all outside shots.
    Nothign wrong with that, if we were hitting any of them.

2/13 between Trey, BI, and Herb combined.

CJ not much better but at 2/5 he looks like a sharpshooter compared to those three.

both teams are tight, need someone to settle in and find a rythem on offense, hopefully its one of our guys

Trey sees one go down, hope that starts to break the ice. Another shot from CJ too.

CJ and Trey again

Thread Information