Pelicans Report

Thread: Trey vs Ingram???

Trey vs Ingram???

It seems Trey gives more spacing obviously than BI, would it be a good move for Trey to be Bi replacement this off season and move BI? I like would like to keep both but Trey is not a player that should be coming off the bench.

My argument has long been that while BI is a much improved player, I don't think he's worth what his new contract will cost, and therefore we should move off him.

I don't think that's going to happen, I think Griff is fully bought in on BI and will spend to keep him. And in that scenario, he's going to continue starting both because it's hard to bring someone costing you $50m a year off the bench and because of what paying someone that much symbolises.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    BI can beat his man 1 on 1 and regularly cause the defense to double team. I don't see Trey doing what BI does.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I think we probably just stick with what we have and let Trey start if anyone in the top 5 is injured until CJ's contract expires, then let him step in as a full-time starter at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I think we probably just stick with what we have and let Trey start if anyone in the top 5 is injured until CJ's contract expires, then let him step in as a full-time starter at that point.
    Hopefully we don't just let CJ's contract expire like that,

Long time NOLA basketball fans understand that it is not rare to have a superstar...We've had one pretty much every season the franchise has been here....but to have a superstar that actually wants to be in New Orleans? That is incredibly rare and ot should be considered blasphemy to even think of sending that away. I love Trey but he ain't near BI, yet, and if he ever gets near there, Zion would have forced a trade during the wait.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Why compare Trey with BI? At this point they play totally different roles. Hopefully Trey can develop his handle and his creativity from mid-range to approach BI in those areas, but he isn't there now. On the other hand, BI can't stretch defenses like Trey. We have 5 legit starters plus an incredibly deep bench led by Trey, Larry, Jose and Naji. Over a long season there are plenty of minutes to go around and a variety of matchups that we will need to make. We are improving each year, so keep following this plan until the cap or injuries force a change.

Plus, we have Fred Vinson! Gotta mention the improved 3-point shooting by Herb, Jose, Larry and Naji this year. That super-defensive bench wouldn't work if we didn't make shots, and all 4 guys are up significantly over last year in 3P% and shots. Scheme helps, but also have to credit the infamous Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    Why compare Trey with BI? At this point they play totally different roles. Hopefully Trey can develop his handle and his creativity from mid-range to approach BI in those areas, but he isn't there now. On the other hand, BI can't stretch defenses like Trey. We have 5 legit starters plus an incredibly deep bench led by Trey, Larry, Jose and Naji. Over a long season there are plenty of minutes to go around and a variety of matchups that we will need to make. We are improving each year, so keep following this plan until the cap or injuries force a change.

Plus, we have Fred Vinson! Gotta mention the improved 3-point shooting by Herb, Jose, Larry and Naji this year. That super-defensive bench wouldn't work if we didn't make shots, and all 4 guys are up significantly over last year in 3P% and shots. Scheme helps, but also have to credit the infamous Fred.
    The cap is forcing a change.

BI's about to get a contract extension that pays him $50m a year, and Trey's contract extension is going to be close to $30m a year (probably a bit higher). With over $50m a year already tied up in Zion and CJ each season, that's the cap gone. We're going into cap/luxury tax hell very soon.

Basketball Guru
    i dont think coaches go into a game saying, we are not going to let trey beat us.............coaches do go into games saying , we are not going to let ingram beat us and we see teams doubling and blitzing him to force the rest of our team to beat them....ingram is still young and command respect from opposing teams so we have to roll with him....hell, since ingram has been out, you dont see teams being hell bent on getting the ball out of zion hands like they do to ingram.....

trey is a shooter and when he is hot, he is hot...when he is cold, he is cold and does not do much else but lately he is starting to drive to the rim more when a player run him off the 3pt line...so he is expanding his game but i cant compare him to ingram when it come down to who is the better player.....

i understand the money part but we have to develop hawkins...hope dyson can grow his offensive game...hit on a PG in the draft.....and get supporting parts for cj contract....hit on jonas, nance and naji replacements...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hopefully we don't just let CJ's contract expire like that,
    Sure, I'd like to get something for him before then. Sell high while he shot well this year. He's still a liability on defense and we could use an upgrade at center and cap relief.

Sure, I'd like to get something for him before then. Sell high while he shot well this year. He's still a liability on defense and we could use an upgrade at center and cap relief.
    He was fine on defense most of this year honestly, I've been catching up on the games I missed and overall it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. And the shooting's been all-league level good, we'd have trouble replacing that.

And you're not upgrading at C and getting cap relief.

The Pels are just screwed, I think. The time to make a move to ensure we weren't in cap hell was last off season, it's too late now. We're getting cap screwed, and there's very little we can do about it, so from hereon out it's just going to be a slow decline while we lose supporting pieces we can't afford to pay.

He was fine on defense most of this year honestly, I've been catching up on the games I missed and overall it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. And the shooting's been all-league level good, we'd have trouble replacing that.

And you're not upgrading at C and getting cap relief.

The Pels are just screwed, I think. The time to make a move to ensure we weren't in cap hell was last off season, it's too late now. We're getting cap screwed, and there's very little we can do about it, so from hereon out it's just going to be a slow decline while we lose supporting pieces we can't afford to pay.
    You're just screwed isn't a plan. Neither is paying a 33 year old guard which is what he'll be when his contract finishes (or is it 34?). Pick your poison. I pick to move him rather than the alternatives. If the team were smart they'd do the same.

He was fine on defense
    If fine = terrible, then I agree. Teams pick on him constantly. He's a huge defensive liability.

You're just screwed isn't a plan. Neither is paying a 33 year old guard which is what he'll be when his contract finishes (or is it 34?). Pick your poison. I pick to move him rather than the alternatives. If the team were smart they'd do the same.
    It isn't a plan, but what I'm saying is that the time to make a plan was last year. Time's up now. Front office is showing up a year late to the party wondering why it's over.

BI is basically insurance if Zion gets hurt at this point, Zion proving he can stay healthy and is in better shape where he's on the court longer and he needs spacing. I love BI but him and Zion on the court don't fit.

CJ makes makes big money, is older and we have his replacements in house as well in Daniels and Hawkins. Don't get me wrong, he has been fabulous this year in regards to shooting and leadership. But letting him go is the obvious move. BI wanting to be here is huge. He's really the heart of the damn team.

undoubtedly

I think the problem is more BI, Zion, Trey and CJ are all on the same team and the balance isn’t what it needs to be (at least with the current coaching staff). When it works, it really works. If you took away one of those two and added a complete 3 and D lower usage guy, it would probably require much less maintenance and be much more effective. While CJ was very important in our first year with his leadership and contributed massively in us turning it around in our first year, he has become surplus to requirements.

I think Zion has learned a lot from CJ and become more of a leader

The Franchise
    Well it would be nice, like with Zion, that BI would be available a majority of the season....which he has not been.

I don't think Pels are cap screwed quite yet, but they'd definitely have to swallow hard and take discounted value to get off some these contracts.

I don't think the roster issue is complicated. You can't build a contender in today's NBA around two guys who don't shoot 3-pointers and are average defenders. You just can't. Time is rapidly approaching where the organization is going to have to make a choice...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    BI benched in the 4th quarter. with Zion out?? crazy

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    BI benched in the 4th quarter. with Zion out?? crazy
    Pretty obvious he must not have felt right coming off injury.

Probably the dreaded minutes restriction or WIllie forgot he is available

The Franchise
    Pretty obvious he must not have felt right coming off injury.
    I don't think he's ready to play yet.. Or if he is, it will probably take a few games for him to get back into form.

Thread Information