Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hoops attendance

"Primetime" Radio Host

Hoops attendance

I get a kick out of reading the posts on this board.

I find it funny that the Charlotte Hornets are getting ripped for their poor attendance...Only 6,018 showed up according to the turnstile count for the Memphis game on Sunday afternoon.

However, the city of New Orleans has been less than impressive with only 2,000+ tickets sold for their NBA efforts to date.

I also noticed that Tulane and UNO participated in home games on Saturday....Tulane announced 2,013 and UNO a whopping 1,010 for their showdown against South Alabama.

I'll give props to UNO...they only drew 869 for a home game during our visit for the Super Bowl....obviously, basketball fever is running a muck in the Crescent City.

This looks like an attendance showdown for the ages.

i get a kick out of grown men...

acting like children.

thanks for the fun, packer.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but you're comparing college attendance to the NBA. Let's take it one step further. Bowling Green High School in Franklinton, Louisiana only drew about 120 for their game the other night. They even had a brawl! But only 10 or so participated in that. But I'll tell you the real barometer with which to measure the Hornets success in New Orleans -- Pee-Wee league attendance. The Crescent City Buggy Bumpers barely cracked double digit attendance against the New Orleans East Teeter Totters. Surely that's a red flag for the Hornets. If little Timmy from uptown can't pack the stands then surely Baron Davis won't.

Congratulations to Charlotte for being a college town. UNCC even outdrew the Hornets for their last game. Way to go! But you see, New Orleans is, for the most part, a big-league town. We have seen bad days with our professional football team but we still love them and most don't think Tom Benson is the antichrist. Can you imagine it taking the Panthers 21 years for their first winning season? Surely after about 5 seasons below .500, corporate support would dry up, the fans would turn on the owner and plead to Commissioner Tagliabue "The NFL needs Charlotte, so get us a new owner! We're better than this! We've got 2 big banks!"

"Bah!", you say? Well, you're right, it didn't take 5 consecutive losing seasons for the Panthers support to decline. Every single year of their existence the Panthers have seen a decline in attendance.

As Charlotte hits it's declining period and businesses pack their bags for greener financial pastures, your fair city will come to realize, with your newly found arrogance grounded in the freshly poured cement of your downtown, that it takes much more to be a world class city with world class citizens. Your bankers, sports teams and Krispy Kreme franchises will all be gone. Then what will you be? Yet another pompous, has-been, podunk town that New Orleans and it's fine citizens have seen come and go so many times before.

Banned
    lol Pack.

I expect you'll be banned. They don't tolerate that kind of truth here. Obviously westbank chris hasn't visited the Hornets board in the last two months. Plenty of "love" from New Orleans posters over there. I actually find Harvey Hornet much more tolerable here, that's why I came over here instead of reading his spam on our boards. I can't wait till all of this is over.

Draft Pick
    Don't quit your day job Mark, math obviously isn't your strongest point.

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY WEATHERNLU:

"New Orleans = 2,062 minimum divided by 29 days (info came out Wednesday night with that 2,062 number) equals 71 tickets sold per day. New reports say that now 2,450 tickets have been sold which would bring the number sold per day up to 80.

Charlotte = 8,412 in 95 days (July 14, 1986 to October 17, 1986) equals 88 tickets sold per day.

Given everything that has gone on in New Orleans to last two weeks, I don't think this is that bad. Only problem is with the lack of time we have, we now have to do close to 200 per day, which even the bustling metropolis of Charlotte couldn't come close to mustering before they knew they we're getting the team.

Something else interesting, from October 17, 1986 all the way until April 1, 1987, Charlotte sold a TOTAL of 86 tickets. Yeah, 86 in 7 months. Up to this point, the Charlotte expansion franchise averaged only 32 tickets sold per day since they had gone on sale.

To their credit, between April 2, 1987 (the day the franchise was awarded) and April 15, 1987 they sold an AMAZING 5,038 tickets in 13 days, or 387 per day. Now, someone tell me that KNOWING you have the team doesn't make a difference. PLEASE!"

Thanks F.Pack. Why don't you worry about rounding up all your listeners for another rally. Lets see, avg attendance is about 12,000. 13,000 showed up. You have such a huge impact on everything. This is probably another loser who uses multiple alias' to come here and flame the board. If it is the real Fudgie, keep up all the good work in CLT. With your help, relocation approval is a lock.
    Last edited by Harvey Hornet-x; 02-18-2002 at 09:40 PM.

Banned
    "Krispy Kreme franchises will all be gone"

Now them's fightin' words!

Mark Packer? The same grown up "man" who goes into a visiting city and vandalizes the arena by tearing down advertisements and then brags about it on his show? What a role model. Don't worry, once the Hornets leave Charlotte, maybe Daddy can get you another job that does not require any knowledge or talent.

dj, actually, i do frequent the charlotte board...

i'm new orleans chris over there.

i'll admit, that board has probably suffered a lot more from new orleans fans (hopefully, i haven't added too much to that) than we here have suffered from charlotte fans.but that's what happens on an unmoderated board.

my comment was not made because of what packer said, but rather, because of who he is.

he is a sports journalist, and should act more professional, be more of an ambassador for the city of charlotte.

instead, he comes here to trash talk and troll for responses.

me? i'm just a fan.
    Last edited by westbank chris; 02-18-2002 at 09:56 PM.

The Franchise
    Mark Packer, The Kaare Johnson of Charlotte.

Originally posted by sting
    Mark Packer, The Kaare Johnson of Charlotte.
    Be careful Sting, you could get banned for that. LOL

Draft Pick
    Something tells me this guy isn't really Mark Packer, but I guess you never know. If it is him, go easy on him. He knows he's about to lose his job, hence this reaction.

Originally posted by N.O. HornetsFan
    Something tells me this guy isn't really Mark Packer, but I guess you never know. If it is him, go easy on him. He knows he's about to lose his job, hence this reaction.
    It's probably that jerk who keeps coming here under different alias'.

Banned
    neworleanschris, you are actually tolerable anywhere.

I don't know why, but the Charlotte board has always attracted it's share of trolls. Last year we had Philly and Milwaukee fans trashing us during the playoffs. This year it's been Oklahoma City, Louisville, and the occasional VA Beach punks coming on. Of course they are all gone, now Harvey Hornet is there. One can only guess where he'll go if the Hornets stay. I think the Charlotte fans for the most part are sick of all the games though, and stay away from the board. It's a shame too because there USED to be good basketball discussion there before there were a min. 10 posts a day by Harvey Hornet and posters of his ilk.

Hall of Famer Contributor Hopeful Hugo's Avatar
    Dont talk about Krispy Kream!!!
    Geaux Pells!

DJ, I don't have a problem with you. You know the story over there. Don't blame me for a message board that has been out of control long before I came around. I went there in peace, got provoked and fought back. My bad. I should have not lowered myself to the level of those types. It made me look bad, and I regret it. I do not regret calling out the real scum bags over there who's purpose to be on this or any board is to flame and in some cases even threaten people.

Draft Pick
    Originally posted by spongey
    Nope, it's Packer.
    How can you tell spongey? I'm not completely computer savy.

Banned
    It is such a shame that Mark Packer does not understand marketing! I am sure this response will get ripped. But come March 15 Mr. Pacman you will say "How did that happen?". Have you ever played poker? Want to play now? Go watch the ending of The Cinncinati Kid. Filmed right here in New Orleans. And Charlotte will be just like Steve McQueen; "How did that happen? :tears:

Originally posted by N.O. HornetsFan

How can you tell spongey? I'm not completely computer savy.
    When you register your account with the forum you have to use a valid e-mail address to receive confirmation so you can complete your registration. The e-mail addy he used is the same one he gives out on the air.

Draft Pick

When you register your account with the forum you have to use a valid e-mail address to receive confirmation so you can complete your registration. The e-mail addy he used is the same one he gives out on the air.
    Oh ok. Duh on me.

Banned
    Harvey, I'm not saying you are the only one out of control there, but you certainly bring out the worst in people. Maybe you should put yourselves in our shoes and see how you would react. I understand you are excited about the possibility of the NBA coming back to New Orleans, you just need to understand that it's still the Charlotte Hornets. And no matter what, it's the Charlotte Hornets till at least the end of the year. There are many fans in the city and state that haven't given up. I can't say that I will support them should they move, but it will be hard not to watch Baron, Mash, PJ, and Elden next year even if they do move. The people on that board, as on this board, are true fans, and they hurt. We don't need you chiming in on every thread about how the team has already moved and such. First off, it's not true. Second, it's rude. Show some respect and get some back.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar

Yeah Spong, but if he gives it out on the air, anyone could have it.

Also, being a radio personality you'd think he'd have better access than RoadRunner internet. VOMIT!

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Originally posted by DJ_Tet
    Harvey, I'm not saying you are the only one out of control there, but you certainly bring out the worst in people. Maybe you should put yourselves in our shoes and see how you would react. I understand you are excited about the possibility of the NBA coming back to New Orleans, you just need to understand that it's still the Charlotte Hornets. And no matter what, it's the Charlotte Hornets till at least the end of the year. There are many fans in the city and state that haven't given up. I can't say that I will support them should they move, but it will be hard not to watch Baron, Mash, PJ, and Elden next year even if they do move. The people on that board, as on this board, are true fans, and they hurt. We don't need you chiming in on every thread about how the team has already moved and such. First off, it's not true. Second, it's rude. Show some respect and get some back.
    I have been thru it. It happened with the Jazz. Pistol Pete is my favorite sports player EVER. They took him and my team away. I ran a paper route so I could buy tickets to go to the Jazz and Saints games. I know about paying dues and loving a franchise. I first went there with complete empathy and the realistic approach that on an even playing field, Charlotte was a better spot for the team. I got attacked by some of the chumps over there and the free for all was on. I was not about to let anyone talk bad about me or my city when they did not know what they were talking about. It just got out of control. I have tried to make it better, and have with some of the members over there with class. The goons keep trying to incite me, and I am doing my best to hold back. There is one in particular, on that site, that I will not hold back on and he deserves to be CALLED the worst possible descriptors I can conjure. I have also formed the OPINION that New Orleans would be the better site for this team with it's current ownership. That is not popular in CLT and I totally understand that.

Banned
    lol

you actually have to have access to the email you register with to actually post. You see, when you register the board emails you a link, you click said link, and then and only then can you post. So if it's the same email then it is Packer.

Packer isn't scared to come on these boards either, there was never a doubt in my mind that this IS Packer. BTW Is he getting banned?

Thread Information