Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hoops attendance

Banned
    lol HH

Anyway, just so you guys know, Packer's show and the whole radio station is fashioned around die hard sports nuts. It's radio audience isn't huge, but it is loyal and can be fairly vocal. I think had Packer's deal with the Indiana game actually been picked up by the more mainstream media (i.e. TV and WBT 1110 AM) the game could have been a sell out. But since WBT is the flagship for the Hornets, obviously their support was out. As much as you would like to believe, and many sports fans in Charlotte would like to believe, the actual listener audience is rather small for WFNZ. This is not a reflection of the quality of the show and the abundance of national guests, but rather a reflection of society. Die hard sports fans are the only ones still going to the games. Unfortunately the casual sports fan and everyday person in general has turned their back on the Hornets (but can you really blame them)? As you are seeing in New Orleans, it takes a lot more than die-hard fans to sell out a sporting event.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mark Packer
    Actually, "Westbank"...Compared to Charlotte...Nawlins is a dump.
    Actually compared to New Orleans, Charlotte is fine with me. You see, herein lies the problem. Just like all the other little 14 year old Charlotte posters, you have to resort to name calling and calling New Orleans a dump. I have no problems at all with Charlotte, and to be honest I happen to hold a couple of shares of Bank of America, because it is one hell of a good company. Your problem, and the problem with most people from Charlotte can be summed up in one word, "insecurity." We know how much great stuff their is to do in New Orleans and I am sure there are a lot of fun things to do in Charlotte, but for my money, I want a city with the ability to appeal to both the business and entertainment lover. I have that here.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Re: come on weather....

Originally posted by westbank chris
    you're slacking

i'm pretty sure that the registration process as of now is the same as it is on sr.com, you have to register, then follow a user-specific link in an e-mail sent to the specified address...

so if isn't mark packer, it has to be some one who has access to his account.

just for fun:
    :godance:
    Wasn't like that when I registered, on either board! Guess I am always so fast I get in before that is implemented!

Originally posted by spongey

Yeah, but you'd have to have access to that e-mail address to complete registration.

I'm sitting here with dial-up and no prospects of broadband anytime soon so I can't say anything about RoadRunner
    I was just messing Spongey, you know that. I would just go bezerk if I ever had to go back to dial-up. Surely nothing wrong with it though. How do you have up there, DataSync?

Mark Packer spewed:

"Obviously, basketball fever is running a muck in the Crescent City."

It's running amok. You can't run a muck, whatever a muck is.

I guess Daddy can get you a job, but can't teach you how to spell.

Draft Pick
    packer, it really is a shame that the kid from indiana didn't have somebody a little more respected in the community to organize his night of remembrance.

it's been fun, mark. but i'm finished. you can play by yourself, you big important radio guy, you.
    I agree. I tried posting something substantive and factual that ran contrary to his first post, and he completely ignored it. He's only here to stir things up for publicity, etc. Maybe he thinks he's Jim Rome?

Draft Pick
    Originally posted by shareholder
    Mark Packer spewed:

"Obviously, basketball fever is running a muck in the Crescent City."

It's running amok. You can't run a muck, whatever a muck is.

I guess Daddy can get you a job, but can't teach you how to spell.

WAIT!! I THOUGHT CHARLOTTE HAD PERFECT SCHOOLS?!?!

Originally posted by N.O. HornetsFan

WAIT!! I THOUGHT CHARLOTTE HAD PERFECT SCHOOLS?!?!
    LOL Far from it N.O. HornetsFan. Guess you guy's haven't heard about our whole debaccale with the schools here. I'm not sure how many times it's been in court, about race based schools, and things of that nature. Thank god I don't have any kids.

Draft Pick
    Originally posted by CLT HORNETS FAN

LOL Far from it N.O. HornetsFan. Guess you guy's haven't heard about our whole debaccale with the schools here. I'm not sure how many times it's been in court, about race based schools, and things of that nature. Thank god I don't have any kids.
    I hear ya CLT. Packman seems to think otherwise.

Hall of Famer
    On the subject of "Primetime with the Packman", I'm thankful that your control room guy doesn't have to 'beep' out the words 'suck', '******' and 'nascar' from your callers otherwise you could rename the show "5 hours with R2D2".
    ROFLMAO ... I have been away from the board for 6 days (immersed in Tulane baseball) and it has taken a turn for the surreal.

Packman sure does have some problems with logic on the Tulane and UNO basketball thing. Pack, let me spell it out for you. I am a Tulane fan, so I think I am in a good position to know. The Wave only pull 20,000 max right now for football. Does this mean New Orleans is not a football town? 15 NFL sell-outs last season suggest this is not the case. The University of Cincinnati's baseball stadium seats 500 people. Who is going to those Reds games anyway? Tulane pulls twice that in the pouring rain before they call the game. Do you think, maybe, just maybe, attendance at college games is not a perfect predictor of professional franchise success?

Excuse me, I have to go fix the flap on my box. The wind is coming in from Bourbon Street and blowing trash over my computer. Oh well, it may be a dump, but at least its ours.

Draft Pick
    On the subject of "Primetime with the Packman", I'm thankful that your control room guy doesn't have to 'beep' out the words 'suck', '******' and 'nascar' from your callers otherwise you could rename the show "5 hours with R2D2".
    That is the funniest thing I have heard all month.

BU-WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

packman who??

What a loser!! No wonder this guy is on a cheesy little radio station. I'm suprised he's on ANY station period. Nobody outside of your little broadcasting area knows who you are or anything else about you. Do they actually pay you for your lame excuse of a show? If so they must not be able to afford real talent. That's about as far as your going with your career in broadcasting. Enjoy it while you can. I'm not sure what the people that listen to your show find interesting about it, but you are a small-time, wannabee sports broadcaster and that's all. Your uninformed opinions mean nothing to anyone not in your little audience. Keep up the good work mouth.

Re: come on weather....

you're slacking

i'm pretty sure that the registration process as of now is the same as it is on sr.com, you have to register, then follow a user-specific link in an e-mail sent to the specified address...

so if isn't mark packer, it has to be some one who has access to his account.

just for fun:
    :godance:

Maybe its Hayseed or the QCB is coming on here as Packman . . . . Between answering e-mails and visiting message boards, I wonder if Packman ever gets any sleep anymore ? ? ? ?

Just wondering, when March 15 comes up will Shinnridge stick with going to NoLa if season tix sales fall short of the goal ? ? ? They've already said that the arena deal hammered out by the CLT City COuncil doesn't work for them/they didn't have any input from them, so they certainly can't come back here . . . . Will they run off to St. Louis, OKC, or Norfolk at the last second and say 'Hey, do you still want to talk ? ? ? '
    "Stand! . . . Don't you know that you are free? . . . Well at least in your mind if you want to be! . . . Stand! . . . " (Sylvester Stewart-1969)

Re: Re: come on weather....

Originally posted by sds70
    Just wondering, when March 15 comes up will Shinnridge stick with going to NoLa if season tix sales fall short of the goal ? ? ? They've already said that the arena deal hammered out by the CLT City COuncil doesn't work for them/they didn't have any input from them, so they certainly can't come back here . . . . Will they run off to St. Louis, OKC, or Norfolk at the last second and say 'Hey, do you still want to talk ? ? ? '
    I think it depends on how close they are to the targets. If it turns out like I think it will, and they come close on the suites and club seats but fall short on the regular tickets, I think they go forward. It's the regular Joe seats that tend to take longer to sell, so I think they'd feel more comfortable going forward with the idea of selling those in the summer.

How long does it take to get kicked off this board?

about this long - spongey

Ignorance is amusing sometimes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by riddel
    [B]How long does it take to get kicked off this board?

Not too long for a bright one like yourself.

OUCH!!!!

:kaboom: :togo:

Banned
    Originally posted by Mark Packer
    On a serious note, does Buddy D ever make an appearance on this board ?

Thanks for all of the responses....I love stirring the pot with you crazy cajuns.

This board is great, and I love how you guys respond...if it doesn't work out in Charlotte....I really do hope it ends up in Nawlins.
    Has BuddyD ever been here, you ask? From listening to him - if the subject isn't football, horse-racing or gambling, he could not care less. His credibility is rather... um... strained, IMHO.

Yeah, we Cajuns love having ourselves a good ol' time after the day's work is done. After plowing your way through this thread, Mark, surely you'd agree that New Orleans and Louisiana are home to some of the most passionate, most loyal sports fans around. Right or wrong, we stand ready to defend our home state and its largest city from any and all outside attacks.

Brad

had a rant about Billy Packer and thought better of it after reading the posts. this guy Mark seems good-natured enough. don't want to take friendly competition to a bad place.
    Last edited by CHICAGOGRIZZLY; 02-20-2002 at 05:55 PM.
    The Grizzlies should have moved to Chicago! (That was always a joke -- sort of.) Go Bulls! Go New Orleans Hornets!

Banned
    you've got to be kidding me.

---edit. nice edit.

It is still the Charlotte Hornets till they move. I could not care less one way or the other. I really do not care about Pro Basketball. IT IS BORING!!! I mean if you like walks and fouls this is the sport for you. I would not talk to much trash, you have already lost a team once and you really don't sell out your football team either. The Panthers games are sold out every game because they are psl's. I did not say that they come though did I. You have to be wealthy to afford the psl price and then the season ticket price. Thank God you do not have 2 of the top 5 banks in America calling your city home because 60 % of your population would be from N.Y and Mass. Packer is just pulling your chain. Take it with a grain of salt. He is a fun guy who is full of mud I enjoy listening to him. He would be the first one to tell you that. He is laughing about it right now. Enjoy your team. God bless all of you.
    ~Unknown_Origin~

Packman. You're right.

The Bugs will not draw in the Crescent City over the long haul if they do move there once the people find out George Shinn is the second coming of John Mecom Jr. Mecom just wanted to own an NFL team and did not want to spend the $$$ necessary to bring a winner to some of the best football fans in the South. He would get 1 or 2 Marquee players like Archie Manning or Kenny Stabler. Hire some nobody or has been as a coach(has anybody else noticed the similarity between the 1980 Aints and the 2001 Can'thers?) and rake in all the peoples hard earned money paid out for an inferior product. If people complained too loudly he would threaten to leave for Jacksonville.

Shinn is the same way. He is committed to the prestige of being an owner in the NBA but he doesn't want a champion. If the Bugs come to New Orleans they won't be winners and will leave for Des Moines or Ok City or some other town who's Jaycees are trying to be World Class.

I think in the original Hornets case back in 1987 or 88 most of the leftover Season tickets were snapped up by NCNB, First Union, and other corporate sponsors. How many major Corporations are there in South La. to buy up the tickets there?
    Last edited by SkylertheWeird; 02-21-2002 at 08:50 PM.
    Information is a Commodity

Draft Pick
    I could care less about what happens. If Charlotte does lose the Hornets then NO will find out all about what we've had to put up with-Ray and George...But it would be a huge mistake for the honets to move from a basketball city/state to a place like NO who has no market for this...
    stick to the only thing you know how to market...tourist...Keep stirring the pot Packer, we love you here in Charlotte....

N.O. Hornets Attendance

I am a Raleigh, NC native. I live in Anderson SC now, but I have visited New Orleans many times and had the opportunity to live in Chalotte once. There really isnt a comparison between the two cities. Charlotte is far and away the better of the two cities!

The poster claiming to be Mark Packer really is Mark Packer. I listen to his radio show all the time. I am definately not a Hornets fan. I grew up a Lakers fan and my loyalty is strong so I can say this without prejudice. The hornets will NEVER succeed in N.O. Here are the reasons:

1) No money in N.O. You need big money to satisfy the luxury boxes, season tickets, walk up sales in a 41 home game season.

2) Not enough interest in basketball in N.O.

3) Pro athletes dont really want to live in Louisiana. I bet Baron Davis, Mr. Southern California is already looking for a new team. Maybe he can follow Ricky Williams......

4) You will never be able to keep your players out of jail in New Orleans. NBA players havent exactly been the most law abiding citizens here lately.

5) N.O. is like Atlanta, it is a city of frontrunners. Once the newness of the franchise rubs off, it will be over.

6) If the owners are the same, it cant succeed!

Dont fool yourself New Orleans, the lure of having a pro basketbal team is great. It is good to have one if for nothing more than to go see your favorite team play when they are in town (me tonight in Charlotte against the Lakers), but as long as these two ninnies are running the Hornets, the franchise will forever be doomed. End of story.

Banned
    The Hornets used to lead the league in game attendance every year by averaging over 24000 per game. That was before Shinn brought in that Wooldridge and started alienating fans. You know Michael Jordan wanted to be Shinns partner before he got Wooldridge. Can you imagine the fans Charlotte would have if that had happened? If Charlotte were to keep the team with new owners they could have good fan support again, but without a championship caliber team, I do not believe that they would sell out like that again for 9 years in a row.

Thread Information