Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Demps is Gone Pecan! {merged}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I wonder who the internal folks were pushing for a pre-deadline deal, and who the internal folks were that wanted to wait.

And I wonder if the plan was always to do this headed into the All Star break. Either way... can't wait for Dell's side of the story to start leaking out.

If firing him during the All Star break wasn't always the plan, I'm taking a shot in the dark that Dell was on "Team Wait Until Offseason" and Gayle and Loomis are not happy with how following his advice has played out...

It's equally reasonable that this was always the plan and this was always was the timing.

About damn time. Gentry will be gone too. The new person will want their own guy. Book it. That fiasco last night has sealed both their fates.
    Last edited by Dr. Sting; 02-15-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I wonder who the internal folks were pushing for a pre-deadline deal, and who the internal folks were that wanted to wait.

According to Shamit Dua on a Locked On Pelicans podcast, it was Gentry who wanted the have the dead done before the deadline. Everyone else seemed to be fine to wait, but Gentry wanted the drama over, and to have a team that he knew was there to play in order to finish out the season.

That could be wrong, or it could just be part of the story and not the entire picture, but that's what we know.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    According to Shamit Dua on a Locked On Pelicans podcast, it was Gentry who wanted the have the dead done before the deadline. Everyone else seemed to be fine to wait, but Gentry wanted the drama over, and to have a team that he knew was there to play in order to finish out the season.

That could be wrong, or it could just be part of the story and not the entire picture, but that's what we know.
    Would certainly explain Gentry's frustration about having to coach this "dumpster fire" down the stretch...

Basketball Guru
    listening to woj on espn....he was saying that the ORG. reasons were demps didnt draft well to develop players with us being a small market and not a free agent destination.......

ok,,somebody lying here.....we were all under the impression that we were in build now mold by us drafting AD and we all seen dell trade picks for vets to win now........

so if the org is listing reasons for dell firing as not drafting well then who was running the team and was letting dell trade 1st for vet players over drafting good players to develop ?.......so is the org throwing dell under the bus or was dell the man running the team?...

Thank you imaginary God!

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    listening to woj on espn....he was saying that the ORG. reasons were demps didnt draft well to develop players with us being a small market and not a free agent destination.......

ok,,somebody lying here.....we were all under the impression that we were in build now mold by us drafting AD and we all seen dell trade picks for vets to win now........

so if the org is listing reasons for dell firing as not drafting well then who was running the team and was letting dell trade 1st for vet players over drafting good players to develop ?.......so is the org throwing dell under the bus or was dell the man running the team?...
    Those trades where useless... if we build the team that right way... we wouldn't need trades for Boogie or Holiday... AD would of been the FA attraction.

Mitchell, Heild, Giannis and etc... We missed out on so much with giving away draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Those trades where useless... if we build the team that right way... we wouldn't need trades for Boogie or Holiday... AD would of been the FA attraction.

Mitchell, Heild, Giannis and etc... We missed out on so much with giving away draft picks.

Agree! Well said!

The answer should be, Neither.
    Why Not? Both have been more successful in the nba than Calipari, the guy everybody wants.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Who didn't see this coming? Let Gentry coach out the rest of the season and he should go as well.

What a suprise! Wow!

We need changes hopefully this will be a turn around for this franchise now go ahead and let Gentry go and let Finch hold the fort until season is over then clean house .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

I sincerely hope Griffin and Dumars aren't the best we can do.

I will admit my lack of greater NBA knowledge. How is David Griffin viewed around the league? Cleveland doesn't exactly strike me as an example of a strongly managed franchise.

Not opposed to Griffin. Needs to be someone that can build all the necessary organizational infrastructure, i.e. scouting, medical, G-League

It’s happening!!! Bring on the post AD era.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I will admit my lack of greater NBA knowledge. How is David Griffin viewed around the league? Cleveland doesn't exactly strike me as an example of a strongly managed franchise.
    Griffin was highly regarded in Cleveland from folks around the league. I think he and Dan Gilbert had differences of opinion which led to he and the team mutually parting ways.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post

ok,,somebody lying here.....we were all under the impression that we were in build now mold by us drafting AD and we all seen dell trade pick
    s for vets to win now........

Keep in mind Tom Benson was still in charge during this time. Gayle probably didn’t agree with the way he wanted to build the team but what could she have said in that moment?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I sincerely hope Griffin and Dumars aren't the best we can do.
    Peja building a nice program with Divac in Sacramento. Peja name has come up on Twitter as possible candidate

It was time. I agreed with his "Young Vets" Strategy as opposed to tanking multiple years, but his misses greatly outweighed his hits. Hope Danny Ferry (or whomever) does well in the Post-AD era.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Wow. What a time to do it. Crazy
    Makes some sense. It is All Star break and after the deadline. Gives them the opportunity to start putting together information for a search.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Peja building a nice program with Divac in Sacramento. Peja name has come up on Twitter as possible candidate
    From anyone other than Fletcher? He just named a bunch of former players.

Mike Zarren should be at the top of the list. Especially if we are dealing with Boston this offseason who knows Ainge best?

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Griffin was highly regarded in Cleveland from folks around the league. I think he and Dan Gilbert had differences of opinion which led to he and the team mutually parting ways.
    I could be wrong here, but didn't Griffin want to refuse the Kyrie trade?

Thread Information