Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gentry has lost this team...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Holy Mackeral, I was just thinking the same thing.
    well as before it won't take long for ban

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I blame upper management settling for mediocrity when bringing in a glorified offensive coordinator as head coach.

Upper management in NOLA is almost feeling like the Bahamas in the Winter Olympics. Feels a bunch of people that don't know what they are doing and completly out of their element.

I'd hope when they clean house... They bring in a real basketball mind to help them out and give them a vision for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    I like Becky Harmon also.
    I’m hoping Gayle goes this route. It would be great for the organization. Create buzz. Bring interest and here is the big thing Players respect/like her .

I like Becky Harmon also.
    Based on what? (it's Hammon).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I’m hoping Gayle goes this route. It would be great for the organization. Create buzz. Bring interest and here is the big thing Players respect/like her .
    how do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I’ll also say this I know Loomis likes Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Avery Johnson. All three are not the answer to our problems.
    With Isaiah's baggage...no thanks. The other two guys don't move thw needle either. Eveyone knows my thoughts on who the next coach should be.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Recency bias.

Gentry had lost this team months ago. Then AD did his maneuver and didn't play. The team was galvanized and was playing hard for him. Then AD returns and the team is lost amm, again.

Transitive Property leans more towards Gentry being able to have this team playing at a high energy level, again, once AD is shipped out and our return is in.

I'm still on the fence about Gentry returning but the OPs premise is flawed in that recent events has only shown that Gentry CAN galvanize the team once AD is outta here.

Late to the party and still responding to just the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Based on what? (it's Hammon).
    5 years as a well respected and (by all accounts) very successful assistant coach under Gregg Popovich, in one of the most consistently successful teams in the NBA. She also coached a team to a Summer League championship and looked very confident in doing so, with her team obviously performing well (they won it all, so that is kind of a given) and her court-side attitude and ability to connect with players being pretty obvious.

Add to that the fact that she was an actual player at one point, and a pretty damn good one as well, there's reason to at least give her a shot. She has more experience than Jason Kidd did when he was just gifted a head coach's job a year after retiring from the league.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Recency bias.

Gentry had lost this team months ago. Then AD did his maneuver and didn't play. The team was galvanized and was playing hard for him. Then AD returns and the team is lost amm, again.

Transitive Property leans more towards Gentry being able to have this team playing at a high energy level, again, once AD is shipped out and our return is in.

I'm still on the fence about Gentry returning but the OPs premise is flawed in that recent events has only shown that Gentry CAN galvanize the team once AD is outta here.

Late to the party and still responding to just the OP.
    Thanks for the thoughtful response. A few points, isn't the very nature of professional sports based on what have you done for me lately? But beyond that, what has Gentry ever really done to warrant continuing to be one of only 30 guys who get to coach in the NBA? Surely not his record as a head coach. Lifetime he is 447 wins -504 losses prior to this season. In 15 seasons, he has only made the playoffs 3 times. In a league where over half the teams make the playoffs that is just horrible. No 2 ways about it. That isn't recent news... that is what he is.

Again, I ask what are you seeing on the floor besides guys trying hard (sometimes). Are you seeing player development, great rotations; unique offensive or defensive strategies; and excellent eye for talent including assistants; great in game adjustments? What am I missing?

Is the argument is that there is no one else better who would take the job? I am not sure what that says about the franchise though if we are truly that pathetic. Again, only 30 guys get to be a head coach in the NBA. I refuse to believe that there isn't one out there who wouldn't relish the opportunity to show what they can do. Maybe that person would want to be the GM as well. If it's someone like Calipari or for instance... let's have the conversation. Maybe also, Mark Jackson, Kevin McHale who knows? The point is, we need to send a message that we will no longer settle for mediocrity or worse.

Here articles I found detailing some possibilities. Tell me honestly that some of these persons wouldn't be an upgrade over what we are working with now:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...cts-wild-cards

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...his-team/page3

https://fansided.com/2018/05/04/rank...-candidates/2/
    Last edited by Dr. Sting; 02-13-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Thanks for the thoughtful response. A few points, isn't the very nature of professional sports based on what have you done for me lately? But beyond that, what has Gentry ever really done to warrant continuing to be one of only 30 guys who get to coach in the NBA? Surely not his record as a head coach. Lifetime he is 447 wins -504 losses prior to this season. In 15 seasons, he has only made the playoffs 3 times. In a league where over half the teams make the playoffs that is just horrible. No 2 ways about it. That isn't recent news... that is what he is.

Again, I ask what are you seeing on the floor besides guys trying hard (sometimes). Are you seeing player development, great rotations; unique offensive or defensive strategies; and excellent eye for talent including assistants; great in game adjustments? What am I missing?

Is the argument is that there is no one else better who would take the job? I am not sure what that says about the franchise though if we are truly that pathetic. Again, only 30 guys get to be a head coach in the NBA. I refuse to believe that there isn't one out there who wouldn't relish the opportunity to show what they can do. Maybe that person would want to be the GM as well. If it's someone like Calipari or for instance... let's have the conversation. Maybe also, Mark Jackson, Kevin McHale who knows? The point is, we need to send a message that we will no longer settle for mediocrity or worse.

Here articles I found detailing some possibilities. Tell me honestly that some of these persons wouldn't be an upgrade over what we are working with now:

Lots of interesting names on that list. I like Kenny Smith. He can dissect a game real well. Can he put one together as a coach?

Lots of interesting names on that list. I like Kenny Smith. He can dissect a game real well. Can he put one together as a coach?

Calipari has a recruiting resume to be envious of. He's shown absolutely no ability to coach at an NBA level though.

Mark Jackson is literally a Klutch client. Nooooooo.

Kevin McHale is a MAYBE, but I don't have any real trust in him to run a 2019-2020 NBA offense. Like, he was good in Houston, but he wasn't an incredible coach and Harden really got unleashed once McHale left.

Still prefer Hammon. She has actual experience working as a coach on an NBA team in 2019, and has experience under the best of the best. And was a player more recently than 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    5 years as a well respected and (by all accounts) very successful assistant coach under Gregg Popovich, in one of the most consistently successful teams in the NBA. She also coached a team to a Summer League championship and looked very confident in doing so, with her team obviously performing well (they won it all, so that is kind of a given) and her court-side attitude and ability to connect with players being pretty obvious.

Add to that the fact that she was an actual player at one point, and a pretty damn good one as well, there's reason to at least give her a shot. She has more experience than Jason Kidd did when he was just gifted a head coach's job a year after retiring from the league.
    If she were not a woman (and not touted by Fletcher weekly), would you feel she was the most qualified to be our next head coach? I do not see anything that she has done for me to be comfortable handing over the team to her. Working under the best coach in the game is a plus, but does not automatically qualify her to be a head coach in the NBA. We likely need a coach to work with younger players to develop them. Is she that coach?

If she were not a woman (and not touted by Fletcher weekly), would you feel she was the most qualified to be our next head coach? I do not see anything that she has done for me to be comfortable handing over the team to her. Working under the best coach in the game is a plus, but does not automatically qualify her to be a head coach in the NBA. We likely need a coach to work with younger players to develop them. Is she that coach?
    I saw her coach the Summer League, I saw her interact with players, I have confidence that she can connect with younger players and put a genuine work ethic into their heads. Coming from a Spurs background is a plus, but it's not the only thing. This is just a me thing, as well, but I also prefer when coaches have high level basketball experience, especially if it's at guard positions where they are used to running offenses, reading defenses, etc, and Hammon has that.

There are other coaches that I would consider, sure, and I'm not saying that there are no other options. But personally, given what I've seen from her on the Spurs front bench and in summer league, given what I've heard said about her by people in the NBA (including Popovich, who I don't believe would talk nonsense just to fluff someone's ego), I would feel comfortable giving her a chance.

Her gender is a bonus, because I think it would be cool to have the first female NBA head coach because not only do I think it's kind of silly that there hasn't been one yet, I also think it would be good for the Pels media to have that additional boost of something to talk about, plus with Mrs Benson being a female owner, I think that combo has some inherent appeal to it. But that's all it is: a bonus. I wouldn't put her name forward if I didn't think that she had the potential to do the job well, and as I've said before, male coaches have been given the job with even less experience than she has, and very few people question it more than just cursory examination.

I have no idea what Fletcher says, I don't pay attention to him. I muted him on twitter after the 45th awful trade suggestion.

Better question, if she wasn't a woman would that make you more comfortable with her as a candidate? It's not like being a woman is a plus for getting an NBA job. If it was, it would have happened already. Have you researched her? She is highly respected by both players and coaches that have worked with her. She has learned under Pop and been a part of a winning culture in San Antonio. She is often described as tough as nails and takes no crap off of anyone. She played has played pro ball (WNBA All -Star) and has coached in the NBA under one of the best. She is highly qualified, who gives a rat's you know what about her gender? And yes, given her resume, I am comfortable that she could do the job. Is she the best choice, who knows? That's why you throw it out there and select the best candidate.

Now let's looks at other NBA hires (I got this from an SB Nation Article):

Jason Kidd was hired as a head coach right after retiring from playing, without ever having any meaningful assistant coaching experience. Luke Walton played and was an assistant coach for only three seasons before he was hired as head coach by the Lakers. Byron Scott was hired by the Nets after only two years as an assistant with the Kings. Steve Kerr was an analyst, president, and general manager before he was hired by the Warriors. Mark Jackson was also an analyst before he coached the Warriors.

It goes on: Mike Budenholzer didn’t play in the NBA. Brad Stevens didn’t play and was only an assistant and head coach in college basketball. Alvin Gentry had no meaningful head coaching experience before coaching the Heat in 1995. Erik Spoelstra was famously a video coordinator before he was an assistant then a head coach. He never played.
    Last edited by Dr. Sting; 02-13-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Better question, if she wasn't a woman would that make you more comfortable with her as a candidate? It's not like being a woman is a plus for getting an NBA job. If it was, it would have happened already. Have you researched her? She is highly respected by both players and coaches that have worked with her. She has learned under Pop and been a part of a winning culture in San Antonio. She is often described as tough as nails and takes no crap off of anyone. She played has played pro ball (WNBA All -Star) and has coached in the NBA under one of the best. She is highly qualified, who gives a rat's you know what about her gender?

Jason Kidd was hired as a head coach right after retiring from playing, without ever having any meaningful assistant coaching experience. Luke Walton played and was an assistant coach for only three seasons before he was hired as head coach by the Lakers. Byron Scott was hired by the Nets after only two years as an assistant with the Kings. Steve Kerr was an analyst, president, and general manager before he was hired by the Warriors. Mark Jackson was also an analyst before he coached the Warriors.

It goes on: Mike Budenholzer didn’t play in the NBA. Brad Stevens didn’t play and was only an assistant and head coach in college basketball. Alvin Gentry had no meaningful head coaching experience before coaching the Heat in 1995. Erik Spoelstra was famously a video coordinator before he was an assistant then a head coach. He never played.
    Totally agreed. Especially that last section.

Men get appointed to coach teams out of nowhere with reasonable frequency. I've mentioned Kidd myself a few other times, but Gentry, Walton, Kerr, Scott, Jackson, Stevens, and Spoelstra are also all good examples of male coaches with little to no real experience before being given the job. Nobody questions it, or if they do, they only question it in brief. I don't see any reason why we should hold Becky Hammon to a higher standard of experience than we hold Brad Stevens or Erik Spoelstra.

Better question, if she wasn't a woman would that make you more comfortable with her as a candidate? It's not like being a woman is a plus for getting an NBA job. If it was, it would have happened already. Have you researched her? She is highly respected by both players and coaches that have worked with her. She has learned under Pop and been a part of a winning culture in San Antonio. She is often described as tough as nails and takes no crap off of anyone. She played has played pro ball (WNBA All -Star) and has coached in the NBA under one of the best. She is highly qualified, who gives a rat's you know what about her gender? And yes, given her resume, I am comfortable that she could do the job. Is she the best choice, who knows? That's why you throw it out there and select the best candidate.

Playing in the WNBA does not really add a ton of value to me. Popovich is clearly the best in the game. Where did he play? I just think too many want her simply because she is a female. That could be a plus from a media perspective or it could blow up in their faces if he fails. Heck, remember CP3 stating that NBA teams need to have coaches that "look like the players" because they relate. I thought that was a crock. However, if many of the better players really feel that, how would they feel being coached by a woman? She is somewhat protected right now under Pops. How will she do without his support in the locker room and on the bench? She may be fantasic, but given that we are about to start all over (again), I am not sure if it is worth taking that risk at this point with a team that is somewhat in disarray.

Totally agreed. Especially that last section.

Men get appointed to coach teams out of nowhere with reasonable frequency. I've mentioned Kidd myself a few other times, but Gentry, Walton, Kerr, Scott, Jackson, Stevens, and Spoelstra are also all good examples of male coaches with little to no real experience before being given the job. Nobody questions it, or if they do, they only question it in brief. I don't see any reason why we should hold Becky Hammon to a higher standard of experience than we hold Brad Stevens or Erik Spoelstra.
    How can you possibly put Stevens in that discussion? He coached at the college level in a smaller conference and took his teams to the NCAA tournament 5 of 6 years and went to 2 national championship games. How is that getting appointed out of nowhere?

I think Gentry and Spoelstra were assistants for 8-10 years before getting a head coaching job. I am sure Kidd, Scott, Kerr and Walton got their jobs based on their successful NBA careers and/or knowledge of particular styles those teams wanted to run. Results are mixed.

How can you possibly put Stevens in that discussion? He coached at the college level in a smaller conference and took his teams to the NCAA tournament 5 of 6 years and went to 2 national championship games. How is that getting appointed out of nowhere?
    0 years NBA coach < 5 years NBA assistant coach.

Addressing comments about how players would feel about being coached by a woman: it depends on the player. Maybe CP3 would have an issue with it, but Pau Gasol (2x Champ, HoF lock) had this to say about Hammon:

''I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.''

I'm pretty inclined to trust Pau Gasol's evaluation of someone's ability to coach. I'm pretty sure that Jrue would have absolutely no issue being coached by a woman either.

The argument that some guys might not like being coached by a woman is essentially the argument that we shouldn't take on someone who is fully skilled and capable of doing the job, on the basis that some guys have self-esteem issues, fragile egos, and are at least somewhat sexist. Frankly speaking, and I admit that this is from the perspective of a fan, I don't want people like that on the team in the first place. If you have a problem with the concept of a female coach, and your ego is fragile enough to be emasculated by having to take a woman seriously, then I don't think you're the kind of player I want to cheer for.

Calipari has a recruiting resume to be envious of. He's shown absolutely no ability to coach at an NBA level though.

Kevin McHale is a MAYBE, but I don't have any real trust in him to run a 2019-2020 NBA offense. Like, he was good in Houston, but he wasn't an incredible coach and Harden really got unleashed once McHale left.

Still prefer Hammon. She has actual experience working as a coach on an NBA team in 2019, and has experience under the best of the best. And was a player more recently than 30 years ago.
    I give it to Finch & let him grab his own defensive coach .

0 years NBA coach < 5 years NBA assistant coach.

Addressing comments about how players would feel about being coached by a woman: it depends on the player. Maybe CP3 would have an issue with it, but Pau Gasol (2x Champ, HoF lock) had this to say about Hammon:

''I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.''

I'm pretty inclined to trust Pau Gasol's evaluation of someone's ability to coach. I'm pretty sure that Jrue would have absolutely no issue being coached by a woman either.

The argument that some guys might not like being coached by a woman is essentially the argument that we shouldn't take on someone who is fully skilled and capable of doing the job, on the basis that some guys have self-esteem issues, fragile egos, and are at least somewhat sexist. Frankly speaking, and I admit that this is from the perspective of a fan, I don't want people like that on the team in the first place. If you have a problem with the concept of a female coach, and your ego is fragile enough to be emasculated by having to take a woman seriously, then I don't think you're the kind of player I want to cheer for.
    I'm actually not against the move. I'm not crazy about though.
    Pay Gasol is probably one of the most mature, Nicest , DIVA 180 that there is in the game. He's also from the older school.
    Do I wish all player were like Gasol ? Yes ! Are they? No!
    Unfortunately Gasol is atypical .

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

I'd be floored if Kevin McHale was an NBA coach again anytime soon after his Trump support.

If we look to the college ranks, I've always thought Shaka Smart was a good young coach. Texas is struggling this year, but I'm still interested. Sean Miller is another coach I like if he's ready to leave behind the oversight of NCAA.

I know nothing about NBA assistants, but I'd feel more comfortable going that rout if we got a GM who has been in the NBA in the last 5 years. Not an Isiah, Avery, Dumars type.

This is the NBA we are talking about. These guys have the biggest egos around.

Seriously though, if you had to pick one assistant from the Spurs, you would pick Hammon? Over Messina?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I give it to Finch & let him grab his own defensive coach .
    I would be OK with this.

Another name I'll throw out, my number 2 if not Hammond, is Ettore Messina.

Also 5 year Spurs assistant coach, but before that, 4x Euroleague Championship coach (279-98 record as EuroLeague head coach), 2x EuroLeague coach of the year, 4x Italian League championship coach, 3x Italian League best coach, 5x Russian League champion coach, 4x Russian League coach of the year. Assistant coach for the Lakers before heading over to San Antonio.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 02-13-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Thread Information