Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gentry has lost this team...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    In my opinion, he was a three time loser when we hired him. You don't give a guy that failed the driver's test 3 times, the keys to a Ferrari (AD). I like the man personally. I think he's genuinely a nice guy. He just isn't an NBA head coach. Sorry, it is what it is.

One way to judge a coach is to see how he takes the talent he is given, and then see what he does to get the most out of that talent. Gentry runs his system. If the players don't fit the system, he is ineffective. Unlike other coaches who adapt to their talent, he has a preconceived notion as to what they should be able to do as opposed to what they are actually capable of doing.

Contrast this to Brad Stevens. Give Stevens 15 decent guys, regardless of whether they fit his system, and 8 times out of 10 he will get at least a 500 record out of them, and 2 or 3 times, he probably gets at least the 8 seed and makes the playoffs. Stevens will adapt to the talent. I would argue the same for Doc Rivers. Gentry just isn't that guy.

He also isn't a Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich type that can make a player believe in what he's running so the player adapts. Heck, he couldn't even talk AD into playing center even though it was his arguably his best position. I was by no means a Monty fan, but to my eyes, he is a clear downgrade. At least you got the sense that players wanted to play for Monty. Not the case with Gentry, take Jrue for example, he stayed because of money and the fact that he wanted to play with AD. Not the same.
    Gentry is like Wade Phillips. Great Assistant Coach, Bad Head Coach

AD violating rules and requesting a trade is why the seats are empty and the players have lost heart. I would rather Gentry over those 3 scrubs any day. WT* does Loomis know about basketball coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Do you think yesterday's attendence was down due to Gentry, or due to the fact that we've lost 5 of our last 6 games, the franchise future is uncertain, our star player has demanded a trade and refuses to put in effort on the court despite t he team being forced to play him at his own request, and the fact that the game was on a Wednesday at 7pm?
    You mean Tuesday? The game was on a Tuesday.

Troll Date:
    Feb 2019

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    You mean Tuesday? The game was on a Tuesday.
    Oh wow, cause that changes everything.

I wrote Wednesday cause I live in the UK, so it was on a Wednesday for me. The shock, the horror.

My point still stands.
    Basketball.

Is Gentry putting people in the seats? Judging by yesterday’s attendance. NO.
    Not sure what this is supposed to mean. Are you blaming Alvin for attendance being down? Are you implying that we need a more well-known coach to increase attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Not sure what this is supposed to mean. Are you blaming Alvin for attendance being down? Are you implying that we need a more well-known coach to increase attendance?
    Do you have any better ideas?

Have a franchise that's not in a state of implosion, that has a team that actually plays hard and gives the fans their moneys worth?

Have a franchise that's not in a state of implosion, that has a team that actually plays hard and gives the fans their moneys worth?
    starting to look like astrofire is back aka champ

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

To raise attendance this year?!? Hmmm...we can try getting Jackie Moon to wrestle Dewie the bear at halftime.

That's a much better long term strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post

That is right . I’m a champ unlike you. Trying to find a solution and not deny. If you are happy with Gentry well that is your problem. I simply thinking starting on a clean slate. Clean house.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    That's a much better long term strategy!

Don’t you think that is on the HC? Not just Davis?

Nobody is saying that Gentry is flawless, or even that he should stay. I don't mind if he gets replaced, I really don't.

The problem isn't that you don't like Gentry. It's that you're arguing against him in really silly, dishonest ways, and then acting as if everyone else is conspiring to defend him that's a problem.

Nobody is saying that Gentry is flawless, or even that he should stay. I don't mind if he gets replaced, I really don't.

The problem isn't that you don't like Gentry. It's that you're arguing against him in really silly, dishonest ways, and then acting as if everyone else is conspiring to defend him that's a problem.

Well convince me to like him. I agree with the thread OP. Right on the mark.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-13-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Well convince me to like him. I agree with the thread OP. Right on the mark.
    Lol, it's not my job to convince you to like anyone. You're a grown up, you can like or dislike anyone you want. But if you want to make claims, then don't be surprised when other people point out that your claims are inaccurate, or that your expectations are stupid.

Seems like you're looking to debate someone on this board who's 100% happy with Gentry as our coach of the future. Good luck finding that guy. Gentry has his faults, but the mess this franchise is currently in has more to do with AD's trade request than Gentry's coaching.

You ever quit a job and give two weeks notice? How hard are you working during those two weeks? That's what Gentry has with AD. You don't think that rubs off on the rest of the team? You don't think the guys in that locker room are more preoccupied with their own future than in saving a lost season for a team they may not be playing for next year? Hell, for that matter, do you blame Gentry for AD getting limited minutes and not playing in 4th quarters? Do you really think that's his call? Do you blame him for not having a suitable backup PG when Payton first went down? Do you blame him for the injuries to Payton, Mirotic, and AD? Blaming Gentry for what's happened this year is like blaming the iceberg for not getting out of the way when the Titanic came sailing by.

I am not putting it all on Gentry. I agree that would not be fair. What I am saying is that I have no confidence in him going forward based on how we have played in the past and are playing presently.
    This is my opinion. The sad truth is that it doesn't really matter how you lose a team. History has shown us, that once you have lost them, they do not come back. Coaching in Pro Sports is a tough gig. The NBA especially (agents, superstar egos, disparity between small and big markets, etc.). Can we honestly say that team has ever really jelled for a consistent period of time under Gentry? (other than the end of last year which is starting to feel like a fluke). Also, key pieces of that team are now gone, mentally checked out, or leaving in the near future (Mirotic, AD, Jrue, Moore).

So you want to start over from scratch with Alvin Gentry? Really?! Why would you want that? How do you plan on attracting anyone of any quality to come here and stay for more than a cup of coffee? Sure you can draft some pieces, but you still need to sign some free agents. Are you content with being a farm team for the rest of the league?

And to be clear, as I have said many times, I am not sold on Demps either. But that is a discussion for another day.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post

Holy Mackeral, I was just thinking the same thing.

Lol, it's not my job to convince you to like anyone. You're a grown up, you can like or dislike anyone you want. But if you want to make claims, then don't be surprised when other people point out that your claims are inaccurate, or that your expectations are stupid.
    Denial that your problem not mine I won’t hold it against you. I like your recaps.

I am not putting it all on Gentry. I agree that would not be fair. What I am saying is that I have no confidence in him going forward based on how we have played in the past and are playing presently.
    This is my opinion.

So you want to start over from scratch with Alvin Gentry?
    That's totally fair. I do think that there are legitimate arguments against Gentry, and I don't blame anyone who thinks we should move on from him.

I'll go further: I personally think we should fire him, and replace him with Becky Hammon.

Real question to the board...? What is the argument for keeping Gentry other than AD and Clutch screwed him and Boogie shouldn't have gotten hurt? Not being argumentative. I would really like to have that discussion. Maybe I am missing something about his coaching.

Please try to keep it to on the court basketball reasons (i.e. between the lines) and not a personal dislike for a player or coach or whomever. I mean x and o's type stuff. Why do others think he is a good coach for this franchise going forward.

That's totally fair. I do think that there are legitimate arguments against Gentry, and I don't blame anyone who thinks we should move on from him.

I'll go further: I personally think we should fire him, and replace him with Becky Hammon.
    I agree! Now this makes sense!

Real question to the board...? What is the argument for keeping Gentry other than AD and Clutch screwed him and Boogie shouldn't have gotten hurt? Not being argumentative. I would really like to have that discussion. Maybe I am missing something about his coaching.

Please try to keep it to on the court basketball reasons (i.e. between the lines) and not a personal dislike for a player or coach or whomever. I mean x and o's type stuff. Why do others think he is a good coach for this franchise going forward.
    I like Becky Harmon also.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I agree! Now this makes sense!
    Just because you think it makes sense, doesnt mean it makes any sense at all.

Thread Information