.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 126

Thread: Pels threaten with lost of draft pick and fines

  1. #1
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    metairie
    Posts
    1,459

    Pels threaten with lost of draft pick and fines

    Shamit Dua, aka Kumar drops a bomb in today's In The NO podcast:


    quote:

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Pelicans, as much as the statement said it was their decision, it was not their decision, ok. They had their hand forced by the NBA...[then explains how the NBA doesn't put things in writing they just "strongly recommend" things]...What they strongly recommended the Pelicans do is they play Davis every possible game you can play him, but not only that, he isn't allowed to deviate from his average minutes by a significant amount. So it's not like you can just check him in and sub him out 3 minutes into the 1st quarter and call it a night. No, you're looking to play him 27, 30, 33 minutes a night...

    ...What if the Pelicans go "screw you guys, I'm gonna just eat whatever fines you throw at us" because it's just simply not worth us risking our asset. Well, they can't, because the fines are daily fines and they grow and then you get into the loss of draft picks. And this is not me speculating, this is, I'm going to say this very clearly, I got told by 2 different sources today that that would be the outcome if the Pelicans chose to sit Anthony Davis or go against anything that the NBA suggested.

  2. #2
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,158
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Shamit Dua, aka Kumar drops a bomb in today's In The NO podcast:


    quote:

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Pelicans, as much as the statement said it was their decision, it was not their decision, ok. They had their hand forced by the NBA...[then explains how the NBA doesn't put things in writing they just "strongly recommend" things]...What they strongly recommended the Pelicans do is they play Davis every possible game you can play him, but not only that, he isn't allowed to deviate from his average minutes by a significant amount. So it's not like you can just check him in and sub him out 3 minutes into the 1st quarter and call it a night. No, you're looking to play him 27, 30, 33 minutes a night...

    ...What if the Pelicans go "screw you guys, I'm gonna just eat whatever fines you throw at us" because it's just simply not worth us risking our asset. Well, they can't, because the fines are daily fines and they grow and then you get into the loss of draft picks. And this is not me speculating, this is, I'm going to say this very clearly, I got told by 2 different sources today that that would be the outcome if the Pelicans chose to sit Anthony Davis or go against anything that the NBA suggested.
    Not sure I buy that unless it is in black and white in the rules. I do not doubt the NBA strong armed the Pels, but cannot see them arbitrarily taking draft picks if that is not spelled out in the rules.

  3. #3
    So LeBron’s agent cried to the NBA. Got his way?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    So LeBron’s agent cried to the NBA. Got his way?
    Essentially.

  5. #5
    I'm sitting him anyway. Go ahead and take the pick(s).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I'm sitting him anyway. Go ahead and take the pick(s).
    Bingo


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,555
    If true (sounds like hogwash), absolutely embarrassing from the league. The player already broke the rules by requesting a trade publicly midseason. He is not a part of our long term plans, and he can get injured in some meaningless games. I’m less concerned about how he affects our draft pick and more concerned about the minutes he is taking away from players that want to be here.

    This stinks of the NBA trying to abuse the superstar image of the league. This has nothing to do with justice for the player, etc. AD is just an advertisement to them.

  8. #8
    When your draft is ordered by lottery balls and commentators regularly make statements like "well you're not going to get that call if you are _______" it leaves the door open for MANY avenues the league can punish a team under the table.

  9. #9
    It's strange, one would think that the league owners would collectively pressure the league office not to do something like this. It's essentially a tax on running your own team in its own interests. Sets awful precedent you'd think other front offices would rather not have our there.
    Watching Pelicans games is what Georges Bataille meant by limit experiences.

  10. #10
    This issue was probably pushed by the league and not Rich Paul. This whole fiasco has been embarrassing to the league. A superstar being sat for that would be outright humiliating. I think the Pels should have the right to sit whomever they want.

  11. #11
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's strange, one would think that the league owners would collectively pressure the league office not to do something like this. It's essentially a tax on running your own team in its own interests. Sets awful precedent you'd think other front offices would rather not have our there.
    That word. That is exactly why they are doing this. We (a small market nobody) are being used to establish precedent for these new rules. It is what it is. They donít care about the context or anything. In this instance, we are just an easy target for them to establish their new rules

  12. #12
    All-Star WildlifeAirGrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Orleans/Kenya
    Posts
    305
    Not buying it. The fallout from taking picks away from us after he said publicly stating he wants out would be too much. I know it stinks but KlutchSports started this. I say he sits every home game and plays very sparingly on the road otherwise we can start the 'Rich Paul is running the NBA and wants to turn it into another "Street Ball" tour' drum beat.
    Thanks Pelicans Report - I get a laugh or three every day reading this thing. Hoping the magic returns to the SKC soon.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    That word. That is exactly why they are doing this. We (a small market nobody) are being used to establish precedent for these new rules. It is what it is. They don’t care about the context or anything. In this instance, we are just an easy target for them to establish their new rules
    Well yes but that's kind of my point. You would think that other NBA GMs and owners would see what this is, how clearly this sets up something which could easily turn around and bite them tomorrow, and would be against it purely on those selfish grounds.

  14. #14
    I go back to my original suggestion. AD wants to play? The entire stadium should make it clear they don't want him. Rain down the boos and cheer when he gets taken out. Fans sitting behind him should constantly be in his ear.

    Basically break his psyche. I don't want him to get injured, I want him to be so in his own head that he loses his shot and never gets it back.

  15. #15
    You will give him a career ending injury of the heart.

  16. #16
    Play him 25 minutes a game. When he's on the court, he gets every shot. If he cares about his numbers so bad, he can average 45 a game to close out the season, take 30 shots a night, shoot us into loss after loss, show his talents ready for the trade deadline and his entire team can abandon him on the court they way he's abandoned them.

    Simple.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    That word. That is exactly why they are doing this. We (a small market nobody) are being used to establish precedent for these new rules. It is what it is. They don’t care about the context or anything. In this instance, we are just an easy target for them to establish their new rules
    Its just like the NCAA giving SMU the death penalty back in the 80's, but allowing UNC and Miami and some of the other more egregious offenders to do worse because they're big schools.

  18. #18
    The Franchise kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I go back to my original suggestion. AD wants to play? The entire stadium should make it clear they don't want him. Rain down the boos and cheer when he gets taken out. Fans sitting behind him should constantly be in his ear.

    Basically break his psyche. I don't want him to get injured, I want him to be so in his own head that he loses his shot and never gets it back.
    Exactly how it should be.

  19. #19
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I go back to my original suggestion. AD wants to play? The entire stadium should make it clear they don't want him. Rain down the boos and cheer when he gets taken out. Fans sitting behind him should constantly be in his ear.

    Basically break his psyche. I don't want him to get injured, I want him to be so in his own head that he loses his shot and never gets it back.
    If AD wanted to play the entire season, why didnt he just wait until the end of the year? Oh wait, thats what the $50,000 fine was for. So, AD tampers,gets a slap wrist fine & we have to let a guy play that went out of his way to strong arm the Pels to get to the Lakers. Adam Silver is a PUNK !

  20. #20
    Didn’t Kobe publicly ask for a trade from the Lakers (after Shaq left but before Gasol arrived)? Maybe we can mend this fence.

    Anyone wondering “what could the NBA possibly do to us if we sat AD?” Go look up Joe Smith Minnesota Timberwolves contract. The NBA doesnt play around when it comes to fining teams.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

  21. #21
    All-Star Dr. Sting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I go back to my original suggestion. AD wants to play? The entire stadium should make it clear they don't want him. Rain down the boos and cheer when he gets taken out. Fans sitting behind him should constantly be in his ear.

    Basically break his psyche. I don't want him to get injured, I want him to be so in his own head that he loses his shot and never gets it back.
    Let's say you do that and he suddenly sucks. How does that help with his trade value? I guess I am different than the majority here. I don't take stuff personally that I know is business. I could care less if he goes to the Lakers, Celtics, or where ever. I am not looking to get back at anyone. I just want the best outcome for the franchise.

    I would have been cool if AD sat as it could have theoretically improved our draft pick. On the other hand, when you dump Mirotic for what I feel or worthless 2nd round picks but inexplicably keep Randle, and now AD is going to play. I am not seeing any plan to tank. I am not seeing any plan whatsoever, except trade AD in the off season and get the best offer available at that time.

    I will not boo AD for making a business decision. I will not boo the Pelicans or any other player playing for them. I will not root for us to lose games since the team that will be on the court will be competitive. I am not wired that way.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    I will not boo AD for making a business decision. I will not boo the Pelicans or any other player playing for them. I will not root for us to lose games since the team that will be on the court will be competitive. I am not wired that way.
    Good for you

  23. #23
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! bahmamamba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,561
    it's going to be interesting tonight to say the least like what if guys don't look for him on offense like never give him the ball? now that would send a msg to him

    Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    Let's say you do that and he suddenly sucks. How does that help with his trade value? I guess I am different than the majority here. I don't take stuff personally that I know is business. I could care less if he goes to the Lakers, Celtics, or where ever. I am not looking to get back at anyone. I just want the best outcome for the franchise.

    I would have been cool if AD sat as it could have theoretically improved our draft pick. On the other hand, when you dump Mirotic for what I feel or worthless 2nd round picks but inexplicably keep Randle, and now AD is going to play. I am not seeing any plan to tank. I am not seeing any plan whatsoever, except trade AD in the off season and get the best offer available at that time.

    I will not boo AD for making a business decision. I will not boo the Pelicans or any other player playing for them. I will not root for us to lose games since the team that will be on the court will be competitive. I am not wired that way.
    Then boo him for purposefully trying to sabotage the Pels by forcing them to trade him to the Lakers. Boo him for lying 12 times in his interview. Boo him for forcing the Pels to play him, when he basically just told them that they SUCK so much, that I have to leave your sorry arses . Boo him for being a weak, spineless Beta punk! There ya go, give that a try.

  25. #25
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    it's going to be interesting tonight to say the least like what if guys don't look for him on offense like never give him the ball? now that would send a msg to him

    Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    I am row 1, top level, behind the bench. AD will definitely know that I will purchase a train ticket for him.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •