Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Demps : AD will play the rest of the season

I think we all agreed that it is in the Pelicans best interests to refuse to play AD.

That said, apparently we're being forced. There's no actual rule that enforces that players of certain quality must play, but the league wants it to happen and they are ''strongly suggesting'' (by which I mean, threatening) that AD should be played, or else there maybe consequences in the form of fines and possibly even taking draft picks.

In that circumstance, I think we have to follow the pattern outlined by Shamit and Mason on In The N.O., when they say that we have to be ''maliciously compliant'' about this. Toronto has been resting Kawhi on back to backs all season: fine, we can rest AD every back to back that remains. If AD gets a ding, or goes to the locker room at any point, do not play him the rest of that game. If he wants to come back in during the second half, say no. He's been injured. Questionable to return means not returning from hereon out. If we're down 15 by the end of the third, he shouldn't touch the court in the 4th. Minutes should be capped at 30, maximum. If he gets a ''contusion'', that should mean missing at least three games for injury management. There are 28 games remaining. He should miss at least 6 of them purely for load management and rest on back to backs. If we also hold him out for dings, and injury management, that could possibly mean him losing 10-12 of the 28 games remaining.

Then, of course, just like any other tanking team, we can sit AD for the last five games of the season due to shutting down superstars. If the NBA wants to fine us for it, they'll have to fine all of the other teams who will inevitably shut down superstars as the tank rolls to a close.

The league can force us to play him, I guess, but unless they want to make it blatantly clear that they're applying different rules to us than anyone else, the team can find ways to have AD sit for maybe as many as 15 of the remaining 28 games. The only problem will be convincing Gentry to do it, because with the way he played Randle last game, I'm certain that Gentry still wants to try and win games and make the playoffs, team future be damned.
    Basketball.

The NBA wants its teams to play their stars (when healthy). That's what this is about... if it were up to management they'd send AD home, but they can't.

Pop and the Spurs went through this a couple years ago, and while Pop gave the NBA the finger.... the league fined the Spurs, which is what the league will do to us if AD doesn't play.

They can't take draft picks over this. The most is a fine. So yes while the NBA can strongly suggest, etc this decision came down to the Pelicans simply not wanting the PR hassle.

There's also the issue of how it looks to other players. Right now the Pelicans have the good will of most around the league who see what the Lakers, Lebron, and Rich as out of line. The perception is that the Pelicans handled it masterfully and looked really strong.

The Pelicans can fight this and probably win through only paying fines. But they will get dragged through the mud by AD, his agent, all of Lebron's mouth pieces in the media. They will anger the Players Association, and the NBA won't like the PR fiasco from it all. Future possible players are looking at this too. And while they might agree with the Pelicans they also could look at this and think, "Is that how they are going to treat me?"

Rest assured, Rich Paul is not happy about how this all went down. He would use this as an opportunity to try and hurt the organization as much as possible. If he can poison the well against us with the entire league of players he would.

I strongly disagree with how the Pelicans are handling it. You have to sit AD. The Pelicans figured the best way through this is to not give AD, or Rich, or Lebron, or anyone else the power to damage the way they look right now. So they take a small backlash by fans and a few media types who say, "What are you thinking?" but they render AD, Rich and company powerless because now they have no ammunition to go after the Pelicans in the media.

By coming out early and releasing the statement it gives them the chance to control the narrative. So they don't look weak or like Rich or anyone else pressured them into it. It was their decision. They are doing right by the Player.

Again, I disagree with it, but that's what they are thinking and long term it probably is better for them to handle it this way.

The Franchise
    So, what compensation does the NBA give Pelicans when he blows his knee out or other major injury. You know it's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    So, what compensation does the NBA give Pelicans when he blows his knee out or other major injury. You know it's going to happen.
    I actually don't think it will happen, huge huge injuries like that aren't actually that common and AD has never had a full on, serious, career-hampering injury, and he's been fairly healthy closing out the last few seasons.

But the fact that it could happen is exactly why the NBA League office should have 0% input. I don't think it will happen, but it might and any risk is too much risk when there's a clear, superior, riskless option.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    This is incredibly stupid. dress him and keep him on the bench.

I really believe that the big reason he’s playing is because of the NBA but I also think that the team wants to play him in hopes he changes his mind if we make a run .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I really believe that the big reason he’s playing is because of the NBA but I also think that the team wants to play him in hopes he changes his mind if we make a run .

Ridiculous. If he changes his mind, you get him to sign the supermax just long enough for the longer contract to up his trade value, and then you ship him anyway.

We traded off Niko already. We were shopping Randle and taking calls about Jrue. We've had very public trade negotiations for a player who openly declared a desire to leave, and more than that, specifically named preferred teams. At that point, there are no backsies. He can go. The fanbase has largely absorbed the blow, processed it, and set their sights on the future. AD signed his own warrant.

He's not gonna change his mind. AD is trying to save what little relationship he has with the staff. They never wanted this to go public, so to keep from looking like the total bad guy he chooses to play.

He's not the villain that he's showing to be. If he were he'd shut himself down because the team wants to shut him down.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Gayle Benson was never going to put on a leather jacket and be Al Davis. She was never going to fight the NBA on this, and the NBA was always going to insist that Pels play AD. We all know they just passed anti tanking reforms, and for many this was always going to be viewed through the lens of tanking.

It wouldn’t surprise me if at some point the NBA backs off. I can’t imagine Vegas is going to be able to put up lines on Pels games not being able to predict how much AD will play. Given the NBA’s future with gambling, hopefully someone conveys how much of a problem this is.

Only reason to be mad at Dell or Pels for this, is if they didn’t know this would happen before the trade deadline. The worry about the incompleteness of considerations in making this huge decision regarding AD has always been my biggest gripe. An analytical person always considers the possibilities and the what ifs.

It just seems odd that the NBA would step in for this AD case (forcing us to play him), when you have a team in their own back yard (The Knicks) who are buying out everyone, and going all in for Zion. It just seems that if you are going to force one team to play their best player (and thereby go against their long term plans), you shouldn’t let another team so freely buy out players in their effort to clear up cap space for major free agent signings.

Both are operating within the parameters laid out.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Only reason to be mad at Dell or Pels for this, is if they didn’t know this would happen before the trade deadline. The worry about the incompleteness of considerations in making this huge decision regarding AD has always been my biggest gripe. An analytical person always considers the possibilities and the what ifs.
    I am sure they at least had an indication of this before the deadline. However, it would have been dumb to accept a deal if you did not think it was fair compensation simply because the NBA wants you to play him.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It just seems odd that the NBA would step in for this AD case (forcing us to play him), when you have a team in their own back yard (The Knicks) who are buying out everyone, and going all in for Zion. It just seems that if you are going to force one team to play their best player (and thereby go against their long term plans), you shouldn’t let another team so freely buy out players in their effort to clear up cap space for major free agent signings.

Both are operating within the parameters laid out.
    Not to mention that the Rockets and Cavs have been sitting Melo and JR most of the season without any ramifications. So, Silver is basically selectively inserting his power into the management decisions of only certain teams (likely those that his boss Lebron tells him to).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I am sure they at least had an indication of this before the deadline. However, it would have been dumb to accept a deal if you did not think it was fair compensation simply because the NBA wants you to play him.
    I agree. I just hope they view the potential future deal as significantly better, and not marginally better, and that pettiness and spite weren’t a factor in their decision. Part of that calculation should also have included the impact of keeping AD on our own draft pick. A lot of posters were concerned about doing any deal before the deadline with a team like the Knicks because having AD would weaken the value of their pick. I hope the Pels applied that same reasoning to the decision to keep him. Honestly, Dell or Mickey needs to pick their favorite reporter and answer some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I agree. I just hope they view the potential future deal as significantly better, and not marginally better, and that pettiness and spite weren’t a factor in their decision. Part of that calculation should also have included the impact of keeping AD on our own draft pick. A lot of posters were concerned about doing any deal before the deadline with a team like the Knicks because having AD would weaken the value of their pick. I hope the Pels applied that same reasoning to the decision to keep him. Honestly, Dell or Mickey needs to pick their favorite reporter and answer some questions.
    These are professionals. I am sure they did not give up a deal they thought was close to ideal just to be petty. As much as I would like to hear some explanations to a reporter, it may not make sense given that negotiations are ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I hope this is the case.

Just think for a second about any comparison to another player in AD's spot. Houston sat Melo, a healthy DNP. If you asked their management they would have told you we went with the guys that give us the best chance to win. Melo isn't good, so we sat him. The Spurs cleared Kawhi to play medically but his people said he wasn't ready. He did not want to play and chose to sit out. Lebron gets nights off for "load management" and is cool with it because he's on the same page as the front office.

In none of these situations was there a player that was on AD's talent level who wanted to play, who has a chance to lose money if he doesn't play, being forced to sit by the coach or team. If we sit him, he would file a grievance with the NBPA which could get ugly fast and sour players on our franchise.

Coupled with the league's anti-tanking measures and demonstrated when pop was fined for sitting his good players during a nationally televised game, the league needs games to be as competitive as possible or it hurts ticket sales and weakens the shield. Why does Joel Meyers show our upcoming schedule with the best player on the opposing team? Because that's the draw and without AD what other fanbase cares about watching their team play the pels?

The NBA has NEVER been in this situation. It was a power play from a player that didn't work and here we are. Our organization knew this was very likely if he stayed on the roster and still turned down the Lakers offer. It's a gamble, but I think it's worth it.

What is going to be interesting to me is if AD doesn't listen to Gentry will he be benched? Will he be able to handle the boos from fans at home and for how long? And what if he helps the tank? Do we play others for a better chance to win and tell the league AD just isn't good enough so he sits?

For a rebuilding small market franchise, we just showed we aren't going to give in to a ridiculous trade demand. I hope we keep that up for the future.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We’ll know soon

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think we will be trading AD and eventually Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I think we will be trading AD and eventually Jrue.

You know what? I think you're right, somehow.

Thread Information