Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Niko traded to Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Are we collecting 2nds to help with moving players, or possibly being able to get a few more 1sts?
    I think a little bit of both. With the 1st and 2nd round picks we will be adding when AD is moved will give us so much ammo to do whatever we want. Say our draft picks ends up being towards the bottom half of the lottery we will have plenty of ammo to move up into the top half targeting a player we really like. The future of this team is very very bright!!

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Zion is whatever the hell he wants to be.

Yea I agree. He is more of a 4 in college because they don’t have a need at SF. Even Jayson Tatum played mostly 4 in college while he is a prototype SF in the NBA. Zion has all the athletic ability to play the SF position and would be a nightmare for them to stop. He also can lose 10-15 lbs if that is going to be his primary position. The main factor will be is if he can develop a consistent 3 point shot that he has shown flashes proving he can with some hard work. He has the touch but never needing to develop that shot his whole life put him a little behind. He has been working on it like crazy and if he can develop the 3 while shedding some pounds then SF will likely be his primary position while playing PF in small ball lineups. In today’s NBA PF just might be his best position through. He’s a little undersize heigh wise but makes up for it with wingspan and strength. My comparison for Zion is a mix between Draymon Green and Aaron Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yea I agree. He is more of a 4 in college because they don’t have a need at SF. Even Jayson Tatum played mostly 4 in college while he is a prototype SF in the NBA. Zion has all the athletic ability to play the SF position and would be a nightmare for them to stop. He also can lose 10-15 lbs if that is going to be his primary position. The main factor will be is if he can develop a consistent 3 point shot that he has shown flashes proving he can with some hard work. He has the touch but never needing to develop that shot his whole life put him a little behind. He has been working on it like crazy and if he can develop the 3 while shedding some pounds then SF will likely be his primary position while playing PF in small ball lineups. In today’s NBA PF just might be his best position through. He’s a little undersize heigh wise but makes up for it with wingspan and strength. My comparison for Zion is a mix between Draymon Green and Aaron Gordon
    For me, Zion is the height of a SF, but he cannot shoot at all. Maybe one day he will develop that shot, it's totally possible and his shot doesn't look totally broken or anything, but he just cannot shoot whatsoever right now.

Sure, he could lose weight, but a fair amount of his ability right now comes down to his strength. He's so strong, he can muscle through pretty much anyone whether it's driving or in the post, and getting him to drop weight could have some degree of harm towards his game. Again, not necessarily, but it could.

Comparing him to a mix between Green and Gordon is a really horrible way to talk about him. If that was his potential, he wouldn't be a top three pick projection. He's got the potential to be a lot better than either.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaustin View Post
    With us trading Niko, which I am Assuming he was not planning on re signing with us, I sure as hell hope we keep Randle! and Oakafor! Both are young and keep getting better!

Yea Okafor is an absolute must to resign and should come at a reasonable price. I love Niko but moving him was the smart thing to do since we are going to be going towards a youth movement and he was going to cost a lot of $ to bring back. Randle is imo the better player and is still developing his game. As long as he’s not absolutely going to break the bank I would gladly sign him to a fair 3 year deal where he can hit the market again in the prime of his career getting that final big contract of his career. I’m willing to let him walk though because I love what I see in Diallo who is just tapping into his potential and he would gladly come off the bench where as Randle is going to want to start. If we take the Lakers deal I don’t resign him cause I want Kuzma starting but if we take the Celtics then I would be open to Randle returning as our starter and potential trade asset in a year or 2 if we can land a legit PF in the next 2 drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    For me, Zion is the height of a SF, but he cannot shoot at all. Maybe one day he will develop that shot, it's totally possible and his shot doesn't look totally broken or anything, but he just cannot shoot whatsoever right now.

Sure, he could lose weight, but a fair amount of his ability right now comes down to his strength. He's so strong, he can muscle through pretty much anyone whether it's driving or in the post, and getting him to drop weight could have some degree of harm towards his game. Again, not necessarily, but it could.

Comparing him to a mix between Green and Gordon is a really horrible way to talk about him. If that was his potential, he wouldn't be a top three pick projection. He's got the potential to be a lot better than either.
    First of all I never said he was going to be Green or Gordon potential. I said he is a mix between the 2 and that’s exactly what he is. He is a similar heigh and body to both of them while having the defensive ability of Green and the athleticism of Gordon. He has the ability to facilitate similar to Green. So yes he absolutely has a skill set when combining the 2. You take Green/Gordon and mix them into 1 person and that is an all star basketball player. Zion losing 10-15 lbs would not hurt his strength in anyway at all which you said is a big part of his game. Losing some body fat is not going to hurt his game at all and will only make him a more explosive player. Weight in no way has anything to do with someone’s strength. I guarantee you when he gets in the NBA he will work on shedding some of his body fat which has been talked about by many former basketball players on TV. I have watched every single game he has played in as a Duke fan and the same has been said by many announcers on areas he needs to improve on at the next level with his body fat and shooting being the main topics. Lebron couldn’t shoot when he 1st entered the NBA either but nobody was saying he has to play PF. He has a decent release and just needs to become more consistent which he has drastically improved on already since he literally never had to shoot or work on that park of his game.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 02-08-2019 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    First of all I never said he was going to be Green or Gordon potential. I said he is a mix between the 2 and that’s exactly what he is. He is a similar heigh and body to both of them while having the defensive ability of Green and the athleticism of Gordon. He has the ability to facilitate similar to Green. So yes he absolutely has a skill set when combining the 2. You take Green/Gordon and mix them into 1 person and that is an all star basketball player. Zion losing 10-15 lbs would not hurt his strength in anyway at all which you said is a big part of his game. Losing some body fat is not going to hurt his game at all and will only make him a more explosive player. Weight in no way has anything to do with someone’s strength.I guarantee you when he gets in the NBA he will work on shedding some of his body fat which has been talked about by many former basketball players on TV. Lebron couldn’t shoot when he 1st entered the NBA either but nobody was saying he has to play PF. He has a decent release and just needs to become more consistent which he has drastically improved on already since he literally never had to shoot or work on that park of his game.
    Lebron came into the league in 2003. Back then, the centre position was a legitimate thing. Nobody took threes at the rate teams do today, because with big men centric offenses, the entire atmosphere was different. It's more important to be able to shoot today than ever, especially if you want to play the SF position which is dominated by guys like Durant, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, and Lebron, who are all at least solid shooters.

Lose what body fat? Zion has very little baby fat. He's built like a brick wall. Losing 5lbs would do so little in regards to his game that it's not even really worth talking about. Any real weight change to the point that it was impacting position would start at 15lbs. If he loses 15-20lbs, some of that will be muscle, and yes there is a risk of him losing some strength. I'm not saying he'd turn into a beanpole or anything, but it is a risk you have to think about.

I'm not saying that Zion will never play the SF position ever. In the course of a season, he'll end up playing minutes at SF, PF, and C. He has that versatility, and like you said, he has a wide range of skills including defense and facilitating. But I think if you work with SF as his primary intention, you lose out on a lot of the advantages that playing a guy with his level of explosiveness comes with at the PF and even C positions.

Thread Information