Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Niko traded to Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    We just added 5 draft picks for guys that won’t be here next year, and you don’t get it?
    That wasn't my point. My point is what is the plan? Tank, hope we get lucky in the lottery, fail to develop a good young core to go along with a young superstar, and in 5 to 7 years do it all again? Maybe make the playoffs a couple times with early exits. Am i the only one who sees the pattern? CP3... now AD? And if we get lucky again, maybe Zion, Barrett, Morant, Bol etc.? Rinse and repeat.

Where is this franchise going? Star players are telling us that they are not really trying to win. Are they lying? Should we keep killing the messenger?

I am not making this post to be negative. I ride or die with the Pels. I just want to know what to expect as a fan of this team. I'm not even necessarily asking for division or conference championships, but damn, is it unreasonable to ask to make the playoffs at least 50 per cent of the time in a league where over half the teams make it to the post-season. Are they really trying to win or just giving lip service to it. This is like rooting for the Saints in the 70s and early 80's. I am old enough to remember those days. This feels exactly the same.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    That wasn't my point. My point is what is the plan? Tank, hope we get lucky in the lottery, fail to develop a good young core to go along with a young superstar, and in 5 to 7 years do it all again? Maybe make the playoffs a couple times with early exits. Am i the only one who sees the pattern? CP3... now AD? And if we get lucky again, maybe Zion, Barrett, Morant, Bol etc.? Rinse and repeat.

Where is this franchise going? Star players are telling us that they are not really trying to win. Are they lying? Should we keep killing the messenger?

I am not making this post to be negative. I ride or die with the Pels. I just want to know what to expect as a fan of this team. I'm not even necessarily asking for division or conference championships, but damn, is it unreasonable to ask the playoffs at least 50 per cent of the time in a league where over half the teams make it to the post-season. Are they really trying to win or just giving lip service to it. This is like rooting for the Saints in the 70s and early 80's. I am old enough to remember those days. This feels exactly the same.
    I think we can't really say right now.

Think about it like this: how do we define plans, and eras? If this was 2011, what would you Golden State's ''plan'' was, other than ''try and draft good players and hopefully maybe not suck''? Would you have said that their plan was to develop a sharpshooting backcourt that they could pair with versatile passing big men in order to completely change the NBA? Maybe, but probably now.

We define eras and plans in retrospect. We look back, and see how Golden State turned out, and we say they had a good plan, when in reality they got lucky in some ways and made some smart moves and it was both in conjunction that defined their growth.

It's clear what some of the historical Pels plans were: when AD was drafted, it's clear that the plan was to pair him with a proven all-star guard in Jrue Holiday, and to trade away our draft capital in order to secure players with a history of successful play and build a ''young vets'' kind of team around AD. Through a combination of bad choices and injuries, that failed.

Then it's clear that with the Cousins trade, the plan was to exploit the small-ball direction of the league to build a team which had some shooting, sure, but which would have a clear matchup advantage on the inside against every other team. Then, of course, Cousins got injured. So we tried again this year, building on that general idea but focusing more on pace pace pace, with which Payton and Randle came into view. That has, due to injuries aagain failed.

So now we stand on the edge of a huge decision. What's the plan? Unless you're in the front office, it's pretty much impossible to know, and until it's happened, it will be impossible to say what happens. We can't even really speculate until the trade happens and that gives us clues. We may be directionless, or we may have laser focus built off the back of past mistakes. Only time will tell. Enjoy the ride.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I

I am not making this post to be negative. I ride or die with the Pels. I just want to know what to expect as a fan of this team. I'm not even necessarily asking for division or conference championships, but damn, is it unreasonable to ask to make the playoffs at least 50 per cent of the time in a league where over half the teams make it to the post-season. Are they really trying to win or just giving lip service to it. This is like rooting for the Saints in the 70s and early 80's. I am old enough to remember those days. This feels exactly the same.
    The plan right now is to asset collect. We are pivoting into what should be a relatively short rebuild. Obviously, we intend to create a bidding war before the draft, and most likely trade AD to the Celtics. From that point, we should have really strong pieces in Holiday, Tatum, Smart, etc, and a massive collection of draft picks to make this team young, deep and talented. We just added 5 second round picks over the next three years, and could be adding 3 first round picks on top of our own, probably high picks. There’s really not much more you can ask for when trying to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    How high up a first round pick can 5 second round picks get us?
    End of the first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget Mashburn and Baron.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think we can't really say right now.

Think about it like this: how do we define plans, and eras? If this was 2011, what would you Golden State's ''plan'' was, other than ''try and draft good players and hopefully maybe not suck''? Would you have said that their plan was to develop a sharpshooting backcourt that they could pair with versatile passing big men in order to completely change the NBA? Maybe, but probably now.

We define eras and plans in retrospect. We look back, and see how Golden State turned out, and we say they had a good plan, when in reality they got lucky in some ways and made some smart moves and it was both in conjunction that defined their growth.

It's clear what some of the historical Pels plans were: when AD was drafted, it's clear that the plan was to pair him with a proven all-star guard in Jrue Holiday, and to trade away our draft capital in order to secure players with a history of successful play and build a ''young vets'' kind of team around AD. Through a combination of bad choices and injuries, that failed.

Then it's clear that with the Cousins trade, the plan was to exploit the small-ball direction of the league to build a team which had some shooting, sure, but which would have a clear matchup advantage on the inside against every other team. Then, of course, Cousins got injured. So we tried again this year, building on that general idea but focusing more on pace pace pace, with which Payton and Randle came into view. That has, due to injuries aagain failed.

So now we stand on the edge of a huge decision. What's the plan? Unless you're in the front office, it's pretty much impossible to know, and until it's happened, it will be impossible to say what happens. We can't even really speculate until the trade happens and that gives us clues. We may be directionless, or we may have laser focus built off the back of past mistakes. Only time will tell. Enjoy the ride.
    Fair enough. It just seems with Golden State for example, once they had some pieces, they kept adding players that complimented those pieces and what the coach was trying to do. No surprise they like the 3 point shot, Steve Kerr specialized in that. I know they got lucky, but we have been lucky too. We got CP3 when 3 other teams passed on him for Bogut, Marvin Williams and Deron Williams. I was in the arena that night. I told my wife that the basketball gods just smiled on us because Chris in my mind was clearly the best player in that draft. We lose Chris, suck and then get AD. That's living life with a 4 leaf clover and a rabbit's foot my friend. AD becomes better than a lot of people expected (who saw him being able to shoot long range as well as he does coming out of college).

6 or 7 years later, what do we have to show for it? Nothing. Injuries? We act like no other team deals with injuries. How many of the Hornets/Pelicans injuries occur from players trying to get out of here or just plain unmotivated. Baron Davis and Eric Gordon for sure. My question is, what needs to change for us to have a consistent winner. Saying we are just unlucky doesn't cut it with me. The Thunder lost 2 MVP players and kept winning. The Spurs have lost Hall of Famers and are still winning. Just last year, the Celtics lost Kyrie and Gordon Heywood and still made the Eastern Conference Finals. San Antonio and OKC -- small market teams. Boston -- injuries.

So what are doing wrong year after year? Everyone says bad luck. A coin comes up heads 50 per cent of the time. Why can't we do at least close to that?

In 17 seasons we are:

Seasons: 17; 2002-03 to 2018-19

Record: 634-717, .469 W-L%

Playoff Appearances: 7

Championships: 0 Division Titles: 1

Our average conference finish is 9th (out of 15), our average division finish is 4th (out of 5). I am sorry, but that type of ineptitude is more than bad luck.

Fair enough. It just seems with Golden State for example, once they had some pieces, they kept adding players that complimented those pieces and what the coach was trying to do. No surprise they like the 3 point shot, Steve Kerr specialized in that. I know they got lucky, but we have been lucky too. We got CP3 when 3 other teams passed on him for Bogut, Marvin Williams and Deron Williams. I was in the arena that night. I told my wife that the basketball gods just smiled on us because Chris in my mind was clearly the best player in that draft. We lose Chris, suck and then get AD. That's living life with a 4 leaf clover and a rabbit's foot my friend. AD becomes better than a lot of people expected (who saw him being able to shoot long range as well as he does coming out of college).

6 or 7 years later, what do we have to show for it? Nothing. Injuries? We act like no other team deals with injuries. How many of the Hornets/Pelicans injuries occur from players trying to get out of here or just plain unmotivated. Baron Davis and Eric Gordon for sure. My question is, what needs to change for us to have a consistent winner. Saying we are just unlucky doesn't cut it with me. The Thunder lost 2 MVP players and kept winning. The Spurs have lost Hall of Famers and are still winning. Just last year, the Celtics lost Kyrie and Gordon Heywood and still made the Eastern Conference Finals. San Antonio and OKC -- small market teams. Boston -- injuries.

So what are doing wrong year after year? Everyone says bad luck. A coin comes up heads 50 per cent of the time. Why can't we do at least close to that?

In 17 seasons we are:

Our average conference finish is 9th (out of 15), our average division finish is 4th (out of 5). I am sorry, but that type of ineptitude is more than bad luck.
    I would start by firing Demps and Gentry tonight . We just need a fresh start and this chuckin up threes all game from players that can’t shoot consistently isn’t gonna succeed anywhere but Golden state .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 17 seasons we are:

I don't disagree that there's more than just bad luck at play. I can't really speak with any authority on the Chris Paul days: I started being a basketball fan with the 2012 Olympics, since they were here in the UK and it was my first real exposure to the sport. I can only really speak about the time I've been watching, which is the last 7 years. In that time, I would say we have been particularly unlucky, but on top of that bad luck, it's undeniable that Dell has made some moves that ended up being bad decisions, and some decisions which were bad immediately. The Solomon Hill contract was stupid the moment it was offered, for example.

The Thunder lost 2 MVP players. Except they didn't: James Harden was not an MVP level player when he was on the Thunder. He was good, and I do agree that they should have chosen him over Ibaka, but can you really say that at the time, you thought Harden was going to be averaging 36ppg one day? Nobody could.

They lost 1 MVP player in Durant, and they had another MVP calibre player in Westbrook sat there waiting to take the reins. We don't have that luxury: if AD sits, we haven't had any other players on that top top level. The Thunder fell off, sure, but they fell off from a finals team, so there's a long way down. The Spurs have arguably the best coach in the history of basketball at any level, and a training staff filled with elite talent. There's a reason that ''spurs coaching staff alumni'' basically functions as a queue-jump into a head coach position.

There's no doubt that this franchise has been poorly run for the majority of its history. No doubt whatsoever. But on top of that, we have also had more bad luck than most teams, and when you combine those two, the results are destined to be shoddy.

I agree that something needs to change. Like I said, when the trade is made we will ahve some kind of indication as to which direction the franchise wants to go. But for the first time in nigh on a decade, the team has the leverage and the ability to truly make a landmark move. I'm going to enjoy every step of that.

Sources: Pelicans are receiving Denver's 2019 second rounder, Washington's 2020 and 2021 second rounder and Milwaukee's 2020 second rounder, along with Jason Smith and Stanley Johnson, for Nikola Mirotic.

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    Sources: Pelicans are receiving Denver's 2019 second rounder, Washington's 2020 and 2021 second rounder and Milwaukee's 2020 second rounder, along with Jason Smith and Stanley Johnson, for Nikola Mirotic.
    We may never see the Nuggets 2nd rounder as it is protected 31-55. Currently Denver is 56 I think, so we would get it, but we will see how the season ends.

sucks I'll miss him but hey atleast we traded him to a good team

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    sucks I'll miss him but hey atleast we traded him to a good team

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Rooting for the Bucks to win it all from here on.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Rooting for the Bucks to win it all from here on.
    Same. Would be amazing to see Niko win a title. Wonderful guy

Thanks for everything Niko, Hope you go off in the playoffs again!!!

Pretty good haul really. We have RFA on Stanley Johnson I believe? Won't be a big market for him, and you never know; Marcus Smart has learnt how to shoot 3's, maybe Stanley can get his %'s up and become a serviceable rotation guy.

The 2nd's could prove useful. Could be crucial in future deals to perhaps move up a few draft spots to nab someone we really like, could be used for Euro stashing if we revamp our scouting overseas, or just used to pick up high risk, high reward types who got injured in college and fell in the draft.

Bucks winning it all is great because Niko is awesome but it's also great because it knocks the Celtics out which strengthens their reason for wanting AD.

Thank you Niko for getting us to 2nd round last season.

So who did pelicans cut? Any word yet?
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    https://youtu.be/9M408h-VNKs

I like this vid on Stanley Johnson

I AM VERY HAPPY FOR NICO!!! HE PLAYED HIS ****** OFF FOR THE PELS!! AND HAPPY TO HAVE JASON SMITH BACK

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post

ME TOO

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post

Hopefully he learns how to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheaney View Post
    So who did pelicans cut? Any word yet?
    AD

LOL j/k they cut Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Bucks winning it all is great because Niko is awesome but it's also great because it knocks the Celtics out which strengthens their reason for wanting AD.
    50/50 on whether we want the Celtics to do well. We want them to keep Kyrie. If they're real bad he's probably just leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    50/50 on whether we want the Celtics to do well. We want them to keep Kyrie. If they're real bad he's probably just leave.
    I mean I just want the Bucks to beat them. The Celtics can still make it to the eastern conference finals.

Thread Information