.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 48 of 48

Thread: Why Saddle Next GM with Bad Contracts and No Draft Picks?

  1. #26
    All-Star WildlifeAirGrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Orleans/Kenya
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    I'ts not exactly clear in your post, are you wanting to replace Dell with Calipari as the GM?
    Coach. GM. Whatever he wants. This franchise needs a jolt of something. Otherwise, the drumbeat to just fold up tent and move to Seattle will pick up.
    Thanks Pelicans Report - I get a laugh or three every day reading this thing. Hoping the magic returns to the SKC soon.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Coach. GM. Whatever he wants. This franchise needs a jolt of something. Otherwise, the drumbeat to just fold up tent and move to Seattle will pick up.
    Lease is up in 2024. Just sayin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #28
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,859
    I can't see Gayle selling the team. Memphis has a better chance of ending up in Vegas or Seattle than the Pelicans.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I can't see Gayle selling the team. Memphis has a better chance of ending up in Vegas or Seattle than the Pelicans.
    This. Gayle's actually the one who talked Tom Benson into buying the team in the first place. She's not going to sell it and have it relocate.

  5. #30
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,173
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Avery Johnson is already being looked at for the next GM spot IMO, Dell wont make it past the offseason..

    As far as coach, Calipari would almost guarantee AD stays, but we need a players coach, an up and comer rookie, much like Payton was when he came in and turned the Saints around..

    Becky Hammon is that coach, from interviews guys in the Spurs love playing for her, and shes learned under one of the best basketball coaches ever
    Are you Fletcher? He is constantly pushing for Johnson/Hammon. I think both would be a mistake.

  6. #31
    I wouldn’t let any coach act as GM. If a guy like Pops or Kerr use a GM, there is no way I am letting a fresh raw coach also handle GM duties, and there is no evidence of that working in recent history.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

  7. #32
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I wouldn’t let any coach act as GM. If a guy like Pops or Kerr use a GM, there is no way I am letting a fresh raw coach also handle GM duties, and there is no evidence of that working in recent history.
    I'd let Coach K be Coach and GM if we could pry him away from Duke. Imagine if Calipari could actually coach in addition to being a great recruiter... that's Coach K.

  8. #33
    It's getting late in the day, but I don't think you have to give up on the season yet. But I think the key is not taking on bad contracts at the deadline if you're a buyer. You need guys who fit with needs and are off the books next year, or younger talent with reasonable deals. I still maintain this team is a legit defensive wing and a productive back up PG away from being a good playoff team. Those guys aren't easy to get, but a couple of names out there on the trade block fit the bill.

    It's fair to ask at this point whether you should risk dealing away your first rounder. If they'd done it in December for something like a Lin/Bazemore deal with Atlanta, I'd have been on board, despite the risk. Now as we get toward February, the hill is much steeper and you have to be realistic about our chances at the post-season with so many teams between us and the playoffs. We have to get really good really soon or some pretty good teams have to hit the snide in a hurry. I know it only looks like a few games between us and the post-season, but it looks that way to four or five other teams as well who are in a better position than we are. A lot will depend on how the Pels weather Davis injury over the next 10 days or so.

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I'd let Coach K be Coach and GM if we could pry him away from Duke. Imagine if Calipari could actually coach in addition to being a great recruiter... that's Coach K.
    Coach K doesn’t even pick his squad for Team USA without Collangelo. I don’t think he would even want that job.

  10. #35
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,859
    Go get Conley. Go get Conley!!!

    Go.
    Get.
    Conley.

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Go get Conley. Go get Conley!!!

    Go.
    Get.
    Conley.
    Old? Isn’t he injury prone?

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNathan View Post
    Lease is up in 2024. Just sayin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Only 5 more years if my math is right. Davis leaves and the team goes South attendance wise buyers will be coming out of the woodwork. Media will catch on real quick. I do not believe Gayle would sell the team but if she starts losing money, and nobody is watching and nobody wants to play here then why bother?

    Time will tell. Keeping Davis here long term could the first step keeping team here long term.
    Last edited by AstroFire; 01-22-2019 at 10:24 PM.

  13. #38
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    Only 5 more years if my math is right. Davis leaves and the team goes South attendance wise buyers will be coming out of the woodwork. Media will catch on real quick. I do not believe Gayle would sell the team but if she starts losing money, and nobody is watching and nobody wants to play here then why bother?

    Time will tell. Keeping Davis here long term could the first step keeping team here long term.
    This was the fear when Mashburn got his mysterious vertigo diagnosis.
    This was the fear when Baron Davis left.
    This was the fear when CP3 left.
    I guess we'll go through this again when Davis leaves.. whether he's traded or retires a Pelican. If he leaves he's gone, so why differentiate between the two?

    The thesis is that without Mashburn, Baron, CP3, or AD the Pelicans will pack it up and leave, and the thesis persist even though it's been proven false for almost 20 years now! It's really hard to lose money as an NBA owner with the TV contract. Introducing gambling revenue will add more to the pot. Even if the Pelicans just barely break even, I see no reason why they would sell while the asset continues to grow in value.

  14. #39
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,173
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Go get Conley. Go get Conley!!!

    Go.
    Get.
    Conley.

    Why?

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    This was the fear when Mashburn got his mysterious vertigo diagnosis.
    This was the fear when Baron Davis left.
    This was the fear when CP3 left.
    I guess we'll go through this again when Davis leaves.. whether he's traded or retires a Pelican. If he leaves he's gone, so why differentiate between the two?

    The thesis is that without Mashburn, Baron, CP3, or AD the Pelicans will pack it up and leave, and the thesis persist even though it's been proven false for almost 20 years now! It's really hard to lose money as an NBA owner with the TV contract. Introducing gambling revenue will add more to the pot. Even if the Pelicans just barely break even, I see no reason why they would sell while the asset continues to grow in value.


    So you are saying this is normal?

  16. #41
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why?
    Devalued/distressed asset. Plain and simple. I'm not a believer in tanking and I think the cost will be well below what a guy with his talent would normally cost.

    I'm assuming Solo (a negative asset), Moore (no value), Wes Johnson (expiring) and a top 4 protected #1 could get it done.

    Regardless of what happens with AD (I do think he's leaving), a Jrue Holiday and Mike Conley backcourt would keep the Pels competitive next year and down the stretch of this season. Conley/Jrue/Niko plus Boston/LA/Philly assets puts you right in the conversation of being competitive in the West. And if we're not, I don't think it would be hard to recoup assets next February by flipping Conley or Jrue.

  17. #42
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    2,236
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Devalued/distressed asset. Plain and simple. I'm not a believer in tanking and I think the cost will be well below what a guy with his talent would normally cost.

    I'm assuming Solo (a negative asset), Moore (no value), Wes Johnson (expiring) and a top 4 protected #1 could get it done.

    Regardless of what happens with AD (I do think he's leaving), a Jrue Holiday and Mike Conley backcourt would keep the Pels competitive next year and down the stretch of this season. Conley/Jrue/Niko plus Boston/LA/Philly assets puts you right in the conversation of being competitive in the West. And if we're not, I don't think it would be hard to recoup assets next February by flipping Conley or Jrue.

    the thing with conley is that he would love to be here because he do want to play with jrue....

    conley......ball
    jrue........jackson......hart
    ingram......FA......miller
    kuzma.....niko....FA
    niko......zubac.....okafor

    i dont want anything from boston so you add the roster with those players or philly if Simmons is a real target....

  18. #43
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,173
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Devalued/distressed asset. Plain and simple. I'm not a believer in tanking and I think the cost will be well below what a guy with his talent would normally cost.

    I'm assuming Solo (a negative asset), Moore (no value), Wes Johnson (expiring) and a top 4 protected #1 could get it done.

    Regardless of what happens with AD (I do think he's leaving), a Jrue Holiday and Mike Conley backcourt would keep the Pels competitive next year and down the stretch of this season. Conley/Jrue/Niko plus Boston/LA/Philly assets puts you right in the conversation of being competitive in the West. And if we're not, I don't think it would be hard to recoup assets next February by flipping Conley or Jrue.
    The problem is his age and his contract. Why take on the rest of this year and $67 million over the next two years for him? Not worth giving up a #1 for.

  19. #44
    Yeah, anything from LA is a big no from me dawg.

  20. #45
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The problem is his age and his contract. Why take on the rest of this year and $67 million over the next two years for him? Not worth giving up a #1 for.
    We're not going to be a destination over the next two years, so I'm not concerned with his salary on the books presenting any real opportunity cost. We'll have draft capital from AD trade to add more than enough young talent to balance out the roster from a financial standpoint. If that talent hits, as there extensions come up Conley will be off books, with Jrue right behind him. The only downside is performance. But Conley is currently having a really good year. My expectation is that his deal continues to age better than John Wall, CP3, Hayward, Wiggins, Love, etc. It won't even be in the conversation of worse contracts in the league unless his performance falls off a cliff. I think his game ages well, unlike a Westbrook.

    Our pick this year will be less valuable than the draft assets we get in AD trade. There's a cap on the number of non-elite young players I think a team should have at any given time. Everyone can't be developed at the same time.

  21. #46
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,173
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    We're not going to be a destination over the next two years, so I'm not concerned with his salary on the books presenting any real opportunity cost. We'll have draft capital from AD trade to add more than enough young talent to balance out the roster from a financial standpoint. If that talent hits, as there extensions come up Conley will be off books, with Jrue right behind him. The only downside is performance. But Conley is currently having a really good year. My expectation is that his deal continues to age better than John Wall, CP3, Hayward, Wiggins, Love, etc. It won't even be in the conversation of worse contracts in the league unless his performance falls off a cliff. I think his game ages well, unlike a Westbrook.

    Our pick this year will be less valuable than the draft assets we get in AD trade. There's a cap on the number of non-elite young players I think a team should have at any given time. Everyone can't be developed at the same time.
    If you are trading AD, why would you burden the roster with a 31 year old small PG making over $30 million a year. Makes no sense. That's a typical Demps' move.

  22. #47
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    If you are trading AD, why would you burden the roster with a 31 year old small PG making over $30 million a year. Makes no sense. That's a typical Demps' move.
    I feel like you're only focused on Conley's age and salary. My assumption is that his game doesn't fall off too much over the next 2 years. It sounds like you think he's going to all of a sudden become a borderline or barely startable PG.

    Humor me - Assume an AD trade nets you Tatum, Horford, Memphis future pick, Sacramento 2019 pick, Boston 2020 pick.

    2019- Add rookie picked w/ Kings pick
    2020- Horford off the books (3 1st round picks, Pels/Griz/Boston picks)
    2021- Conley off the books (Huge expiring plus Pels 1st pick)
    2022- Jrue off the books (Huge expiring plus Pels 1st pick) also same year as Tatum gets first big deal.

    In no way does Conley inhibit you. If he's productive, he's a great vet for rookies to learn from while the team continues to be competitive. Your transition year is veteran and capable. You launch your G League team and develop a pipeline of 1st round talent to ascend around Tatum. Unless you're advocating for a Sam Hinkie style process... I don't see what the problem would be.

    Edit:
    If you dealt Julius/Hill/Wes/pick for Conley and traded AD/Moore to Celtics for Tatum/Horford/Kings pick/Future Grizz pick/2020 Celtics pick...
    You could resign Niko for $14m/yr and likely end up paying a late lottery pick $3-4m.

    You'd go into July with a team about $16m below the tax featuring

    Conley/Frank
    Jrue/Kevin Porter Jr (hopefully)
    Tatum/Williams
    Niko
    Horford/Okafor

    You'd have the MLE to to fill out the roster and 3 picks in the next draft to hold or use at the deadline. In the 2020 offseason we'd also have a max cap slot open up.

    Convinced yet?
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 01-23-2019 at 05:34 PM.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I see no reason why they would sell while the asset continues to grow in value.
    Um I donít know. Maybe the NBA will think that the asset could have greater value elsewhere and force us to sell the team with a wicked pro Seattle media campaign? I donít share your optimism. Especially a couple years from now in a football town with no AD and poor management. Even Gayle wonít be able to stare at all those empty seats and convince herself that this team is still right for this city. It will likely be an embarrassment to behold. God I hope I am wrong but unfort long term predictions have been my thing as some here can attest to.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •