Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: January 16th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Golden State Warriors - 21-23

Pelicans January 16th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Golden State Warriors - 21-23

We have won 4 out of our last 5. Our record is creeping closer to .500, and we've gone 1-1 on this road trip so far, which isn't optimal but is at least reasonable. Tonight we play Golden State on the road. They have a record of 30-14, which is good for 1st in the West. They have won 5 of their last six, with their only loss coming by a single point against Houston. Golden State are really good, so let's look at exactly how:

Offensive Rating: 1st
    Defensive Rating: 16th
    Rebounds per game: 9th
    Assists per game: 1st
    Steals per game: 21st
    Blocks per game: 1st
    2pt Percentage: 4th
    3pt Percentage: 3rd

So yeah. If anyone has missed the last 5 years of the NBA, that's basically them every season. They're really really good, and I don't need to tell anyone that. They are one of the few teams more offensively talented than us, and their defense (while not top shelf like it's been in years past) is still leaps and bounds ahead of ours.

One good thing we have to our name in this matchup is that their team leader, the real head-of-the-snake is Steph Curry, who is a small guard. We have a guy who is really really good at defending small guards. Obviously with Curry's shooting ability and handles, there isn't anyone who can really lock him down with any consistency, but Jrue is as good as anyone in this regard. Steph Curry is averaging 29.5ppg, which is basically the same as what AD is averaging, and he's doing it shooting 49/46/92. Which is insane efficiency, and he's doing that on basically 12 threes a game. So... yeah. That's that. He can be exploited on defense as he is not gifted on that end of the floor, and he does have a tendency to make silly mistakes with turnovers, so there is something in his game to work on, but he's as close to an automatic 30 points as exists in the league right now.

Next up is Kevin Durant. We still have nobody to guard KD. If we put Jrue on him, that actually works reasonably well, but then we have to rely on someone like Moore or Payton to guard Steph. That's not impossible, and it may be worth trying at some point, but I think anyone can see the problem in that. KD is averaging 28/7/6 on 51/38/91 shooting, so he's damn close to a 50/40/90 season too. Everyone knows he's an offensive weapon of historically good proportions, but again, he can be psyched out mentally and he does have a tendency to get frustrated and break up the flow of the offense if he is really pushed. The problem is that it takes a lot to push Golden State, and while we can do that offensively, I'm not sure if we have the defense to do it too.

After that it's Klay. Averaging 22 points on only 36% from three, Klay is the weakest point in Golden State's big three. He's not been having a terrible year, of course not, but he's having his worst year in a little while, especially from beyond the arc. You don't really want to give up anything, but if you really have to, he's the guy you'd want to give the shot to. Which is tragic, in a way.

THE GOOD NEWS: Beyond those three, Golden State has no players averaging double figures this season. Their bench is not great, at all. They get almost all of their scoring from their big three, just like we have at some points this season, so we aren't going to be killed by their second unit like against Denver or Toronto. Part of that is because GS is playing deep into their bench, but part of it is also because they don't have those go-to scorers like they have historically. Livingstone has been less than magnificent this season when he's played, which is only 33 games. Iguodala is 35 years old and showing it, not able to give his all every possession anymore. Draymond is still good, but his three point shot has dropped even further: he's shooting 23% from three this season, and his defense is not as masterful as it has been historically, as he's fouling more than ever.

Golden State are amazing. They really are. But, they aren't invincible. We can win this if we can treat them like we treated OKC in December: play hard, intense defense, and get even a little from the bench and this becomes truly winnable. It would be huge for us if we could do this.

Let's go and #DoItBig
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    we cant put jrue on KD..we seen KD just shoot over jrue and made his shots...now if jrue is on him and KD is off tonight then its all good lol...

klay is the one who always get hot at a crucial point in the game that always do us in...if we can hold klay in check we should win tonight and if everyone on our team score their avg and above...

oh and please basketball gods make gentry play okafor against green and whoever bigs GS put out tonight so he can play bully ball against them to add to our scoring and maybe drawing fouls so we can have that mismatch for the game....and if gentry does not let randall and okafor play bully ball tonight please have him fired by the end of the week....

we should dominate GS in inside scoring to where it will open up our 3pt shooters tonight and blow this game open.....

pels 133-120...book it...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    we cant put jrue on KD..we seen KD just shoot over jrue and made his shots...now if jrue is on him and KD is off tonight then its all good lol...

klay is the one who always get hot at a crucial point in the game that always do us in...if we can hold klay in check we should win tonight and if everyone on our team score their avg and above...

oh and please basketball gods make gentry play okafor against green and whoever bigs GS put out tonight so he can play bully ball against them to add to our scoring and maybe drawing fouls so we can have that mismatch for the game....and if gentry does not let randall and okafor play bully ball tonight please have him fired by the end of the week....

we should dominate GS in inside scoring to where it will open up our 3pt shooters tonight and blow this game open.....

pels 133-120...book it...
    I think you've just explained why it's so difficult to guarantee a win against them.

We can't put out best defender on their best scorer, but we kind of have to because we don't have any other defenders good enough to bother him even slightly. But he's not really tall enough, so he can make things scrappy but not really stop him.

And if we do that, and somehow keep Curry in check, then their third best player will just get really hot. So we have to hold one of the best scorers in NBA history in check, and one of the best shooters ever, and then if we can somehow make ''everyone on our team score their average and above'' we might win.

I agree that we do have some tools that make it difficult for them, we should dominate inside and they don't have a rim protector at all outside of KD, but blowing this game open? Not sure about that.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think you've just explained why it's so difficult to guarantee a win against them.

We can't put out best defender on their best scorer, but we kind of have to because we don't have any other defenders good enough to bother him even slightly. But he's not really tall enough, so he can make things scrappy but not really stop him.

And if we do that, and somehow keep Curry in check, then their third best player will just get really hot. So we have to hold one of the best scorers in NBA history in check, and one of the best shooters ever, and then if we can somehow make ''everyone on our team score their average and above'' we might win.

I agree that we do have some tools that make it difficult for them, we should dominate inside and they don't have a rim protector at all outside of KD, but blowing this game open? Not sure about that.
    lol i got to ride with it on blowing them out lol.....im banking on us beating the hell out of them inside and making them collapse their defense on our bigs to leave our shooters open and us punishing them with our 3s....if it happens like this then we are blowing them out lol.......now again,,im banking on gentry seeing the light and play inside out for our shooters to rain 3s all night....

im telling you, book it...pels 133-120...

Let's hope you're right

I think they should let Jrue try to slow Curry down and just throw bodies at KD. Moore has been able to slow Klay in the past as well. If Jrue and Moore can hold those two to at or under their averages and whoever gets stuck guarding KD can manage to keep him from going ballistic (meaning under 40) then we should have a chance with some help from the bench as far as scoring.

A lot of ifs in there but not impossible. Plus they played last night in Denver. I know they won handily but that's still a tough place to play and follow with another game the next day.

I also think Gentry really needs to push the pace in this game and try to wear them out.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I think they should let Jrue try to slow Curry down and just throw bodies at KD. Moore has been able to slow Klay in the past as well. If Jrue and Moore can hold those two to at or under their averages and whoever gets stuck guarding KD can manage to keep him from going ballistic (meaning under 40) then we should have a chance with some help from the bench as far as scoring.

A lot of ifs in there but not impossible. Plus they played last night in Denver. I know they won handily but that's still a tough place to play and follow with another game the next day.

I also think Gentry really needs to push the pace in this game and try to wear them out.

as much as i want okafor and randall to punish green and whoever are guarding them...i think you are right about pushing the pace and running them out of gas tonight...

as much as i want okafor and randall to punish green and whoever are guarding them...i think you are right about pushing the pace and running them out of gas tonight...
    We can do both, there will be times when they set the defense and that's when you pound them inside.

Basketball Guru
    4th in the league in offense should have us in the playoff right now.....25th in defense is why we are not in the playoffs right now......alot of us fans know this but im glad that stan van gundy is talking this up on shoot around instead of saying what paul pierce damn arse keep saying that we dont have enough talent around AD...

It still makes me cringe to hear Boogies name mentioned with the Warriors , I hate it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4th in the league in offense should have us in the playoff right now.....25th in defense is why we are not in the playoffs right now......alot of us fans know this but im glad that stan van gundy is talking this up on shoot around instead of saying what paul pierce damn arse keep saying that we dont have enough talent around AD...
    The defense is really frustrating. It would be kind of whatever if it made sense. You know, if our team was like, Ish Smith/J R Smith/Solo/Randle/Okafor. Then it would make sense for us to suck on defense really badly.

But AD should have been DPOY last year. Jrue is all-defensive team, and can defend guys up to 6'8. Payon is lengthy, and Niko played good defense for us last season. Moore is a good defender too. We SHOULD be at least solid defensively.

The fact that we suck on defense is just this big, glaring, unexcusable hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The defense is really frustrating. It would be kind of whatever if it made sense. You know, if our team was like, Ish Smith/J R Smith/Solo/Randle/Okafor. Then it would make sense for us to suck on defense really badly.

But AD should have been DPOY last year. Jrue is all-defensive team, and can defend guys up to 6'8. Payon is lengthy, and Niko played good defense for us last season. Moore is a good defender too. We SHOULD be at least solid defensively.

The fact that we suck on defense is just this big, glaring, unexcusable hole.
    It's about effort. I'm in the camp that that comes from coaching. Ultimately, its on the players but its on coaching if its allowed to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    It still makes me cringe to hear Boogies name mentioned with the Warriors , I hate it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't get it. Why turn down 20 mil and take 5 when there is no guarantee you can even come back and be as good. The guy really is a head case. His agent must have thought he was nuts.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I refuse to watch this game. I hope I wake up in the morning and regret my decision.

Is this possible at all? No with our defence. Up to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I refuse to watch this game. I hope I wake up in the morning and regret my decision.
    I live on the east coast so I’ll watch the 1st Quarter and then go to bed. Hoping for a surprise when I wake up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I live on the east coast so I’ll watch the 1st Quarter and then go to bed. Hoping for a surprise when I wake up in the morning.
    I live in England, it's 3:42am and I'm gonna watch the entire thing and probably hate myself.

Thompson gets that foul. Jrue gets mauled and nothing. Typical night in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Thompson gets that foul. Jrue gets mauled and nothing. Typical night in the NBA.
    Curry just got FTs for someone contesting him. No contact whatsoever.

So yep, this is the NBA.

Fouling on the oop should be like a layup and FTs

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I feel like we play closer to the best teams than the worst.

Never noticed Elfrid's big FDL tat.

I like how the Warriors can do almost anything they want and the refs just totally ignore it.

And by like, I mean despise.

Yeah. That happened fast. Refs keep them close when they should be down then they're talent allows them to flash and take a lead. Done fairly, that run would have just tied it.

Feels just like the playoffs.

Normally when I say this, there's some degree of exaggeration. In this case, there is zero hyperbole:

AD has been fouled every single time he has touched the ball on offense.

If we played like this all the time we'd be in at least 4th place.

Thread Information