Pelicans Report

Thread: Rebuild

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Rebuild

If the PELS keep losing and it looks like we’re gonna miss the playoffs then we should be start strategizing and start rebuilding. I’m going to assume we will fail and need to rebuild so I’m thinking we make moves before the trade deadline and then tank and then trade AD in the offseason. Fire Demps. Maybe hire thibs to be head coach.

How do you want to rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orrrrr just get some depth

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    If the PELS keep losing and it looks like we’re gonna miss the playoffs then we should be start strategizing and start rebuilding. I’m going to assume we will fail and need to rebuild so I’m thinking we make moves before the trade deadline and then tank and then trade AD in the offseason. Fire Demps. Maybe hire thibs to be head coach.

How do you want to rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, I would rather not have to rebuild at all, but if we absolutely had to, you can guarantee it would not be that way.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    1. Trade our first or even 2 first for a star (Beal hopefully). If we can’t get a star then don’t trade the first.

2. Regardless of trading first or not we should still work our seconds to get some depth.

3. If we are out of the playoff hunt by deadline then try to trade as much as you can for 1st or cap space. Niko, Randle, and Moore should return a player or first from any playoff teams.

4. In the off season if Davis signs, make a run at Kawhi or Irving which will be tough because of our market but either would be nice fits with what we have. If Davis doesn’t sign then work to trade him.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    This team has hit a wall. The pieces we have tried to put around Davis don't work. Lets blow it up now and start the rebuild. I'm ready to move on from the Davis era. Not his fault just the way it is right now. We aren't getting anybody of significance that will make us contenders so what are we waiting for? Truthfully. Lets acquire draft picks and young players, build around them and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    This team has hit a wall. The pieces we have tried to put around Davis don't work. Lets blow it up now and start the rebuild. I'm ready to move on from the Davis era. Not his fault just the way it is right now. We aren't getting anybody of significance that will make us contenders so what are we waiting for? Truthfully. Lets acquire draft picks and young players, build around them and start over.
    I am not willing to blow it up unless AD says he is not staying. In a rebuild, our goal would be to acquire a star in the mold of AD. However, there are no guarantees. We should not assume we can just go out and get another AD so easily.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    The Wizards waived Ron Baker.

Got to get a star wing. Develop Okafor more. We need a true 5 that forces teams to not double AD or put 5s on him. Depth and a bench. More consistent 3pt shooters.
    Last edited by Taker597; 01-07-2019 at 01:44 PM.

It's hard to answer this question because we don't know what the market looks like and what the options are?

If there is some all star out there that is imminently attainable(think Beal, Kemba) with the assets we have, then I would say you go that route.

I think there is maybe the in-between route of a player like Jimmy Butler. Who once again is not endearing himself to his newest team. Who is basically a risky homerun swing while you are down 2 strikes and in the bottom of the 9th, down 3. It's a risky choice and if you miss your team's screwed. Since he can quickly be a malcontent and he is also going to be very prone to bolting in the offseason.

If it looks like that is not possible(or if you vote against bringing on a guy with a reputation as a cancer), it is probably better to start positioning for a rebuild. Including the beginning of a search for new front office management and testing the waters for what the AD market is going to look like. Perhaps selling off high on players like Mirotic and Randle before they walk for nothing and getting something back for Jrue, who is at his peak value. Hope you can tank out the season and maybe get into the top 5, then have a stable of assets in the following seasons to allow whoever you bring in to replace Demps to utilize.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    It's hard to answer this question because we don't know what the market looks like and what the options are?

If there is some all star out there that is imminently attainable(think Beal, Kemba) with the assets we have, then I would say you go that route.

I think there is maybe the in-between route of a player like Jimmy Butler. Who once again is not endearing himself to his newest team. Who is basically a risky homerun swing while you are down 2 strikes and in the bottom of the 9th, down 3. It's a risky choice and if you miss your team's screwed. Since he can quickly be a malcontent and he is also going to be very prone to bolting in the offseason.

If it looks like that is not possible(or if you vote against bringing on a guy with a reputation as a cancer), it is probably better to start positioning for a rebuild. Including the beginning of a search for new front office management and testing the waters for what the AD market is going to look like. Perhaps selling off high on players like Mirotic and Randle before they walk for nothing and getting something back for Jrue, who is at his peak value. Hope you can tank out the season and maybe get into the top 5, then have a stable of assets in the following seasons to allow whoever you bring in to replace Demps to utilize.
    If Butler were made available, he would come cheap.. Like Moore, wes and a 2nd cheap, so the reward would outweigh the risk as nobody will give up anything of real value for him

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    If Butler were made available, he would come cheap.. Like Moore, wes and a 2nd cheap, so the reward would outweigh the risk as nobody will give up anything of real value for him
    Wouldn't you think that Philly take their chances on re-signing him for that?
    Unless of course they already know they don't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Wouldn't you think that Philly take their chances on re-signing him for that?
    Unless of course they already know they don't want him.
    At the rate they are headed, Butler will undo that team.. If it gets any worse they will be forced to trade him, or Embiid and Simmons will start to become malcontents

Thread Information