Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: January 5th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Cleveland - 17-22

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I don't even count this is an actual game. Cavs are the biggest dumpster fire I've seen since us
    They all count the same in the win column. We get into the playoffs by one or two games, promise you won't be dismissing Cavs wins.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm probably the berjillionth person to say this, but I love our jerseys.
    Facts
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    They all count the same in the win column. We get into the playoffs by one or two games, promise you won't be dismissing Cavs wins.
    We all agree you still count in and are grateful for the win. But what I think he is saying is that you don't use this game as even the slightest bit of evidence that they have fixed anything or figured anything out.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We all agree you still count in and are grateful for the win. But what I think he is saying is that you don't use this game as even the slightest bit of evidence that they have fixed anything or figured anything out.
    Agree. Pretty obvious Cleveland is tanking

Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    Agree. Pretty obvious Cleveland is tanking

Disagree. Beating any NBA team by 35 points on the road is meaningful. Not even awful NBA teams get beat that badly often.

Execpt for Cleveland who have lost nine in a row and the last five at home by more than 20 points each. Cleveland is real bad. But some times a shooter has to see the ball go in to get his confidence going. Hopefully a big win can start something good for the pels.
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Cheaney View Post
    Execpt for Cleveland who have lost nine in a row and the last five at home by more than 20 points each. Cleveland is real bad. But some times a shooter has to see the ball go in to get his confidence going. Hopefully a big win can start something good for the pels.
    Speaking on this, I like that Clark was able to knock down a few at the end of the game. If he can get going again like he did late last year it will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Disagree. Beating any NBA team by 35 points on the road is meaningful. Not even awful NBA teams get beat that badly often.
    Yep. It's pretty obvious Phoenix are tanking too, and we didn't beat them this badly. It doesn't matter how bad your opponent is, sometimes the problem is at least partly within you, and you need to get that definitive win to prove something for yourself. Anyone who's been through rough patches in life knows that. We can build off this win, or let it collapse in on itself, but the potential is there.

Yep. It's pretty obvious Phoenix are tanking too, and we didn't beat them this badly. It doesn't matter how bad your opponent is, sometimes the problem is at least partly within you, and you need to get that definitive win to prove something for yourself. Anyone who's been through rough patches in life knows that. We can build off this win, or let it collapse in on itself, but the potential is there.
    No. If all teams were rated on a scale of 1-100 currently, Phoenix would be a 30, Cleveland would be a 1. There are other teams that are bad right now, sure, but Cleveland has lost 9 in a row, 11 of 12 and they are getting demolished, as they have been outscored by an average of 18 points over those 12 games. They are basically a G League team right now and nobody this season has had a stretch of games half as bad as what Cleveland is doing right now. If the Pels beat Memphis handily, sure, go ahead and take something from that. Then, when they blow out Cleveland again, take nothing.

The real stretch is the next 12 games after that. That stretch will make or break the season. That stretch will let you truly evaluate this team. Last night? Was a glorified exhibition game that you should take absolutely nothing from.

It'll be good to go in to that stretch on 3 game win streak tho. No matter who the three wins are against. Momentum. Memphis has been pretty bad lately also losing last 5 and 10 of last 12. If we beat them and then Cleveland again confidence will be high going into the road trip that looks brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheaney View Post
    It'll be good to go in to that stretch on 3 game win streak tho. No matter who the three wins are against. Momentum. Memphis has been pretty bad lately also losing last 5 and 10 of last 12. If we beat them and then Cleveland again confidence will be high going into the road trip that looks brutal.
    I don't believe in momentum across Games. In fact, I hate when the Pels win a few games against bad teams because they seem to relax a bit and then they get blindsided.

Let's just wait and see. We will know what this team is very clearly in four weeks

No. If all teams were rated on a scale of 1-100 currently, Phoenix would be a 30, Cleveland would be a 1. There are other teams that are bad right now, sure, but Cleveland has lost 9 in a row, 11 of 12 and they are getting demolished, as they have been outscored by an average of 18 points over those 12 games. They are basically a G League team right now and nobody this season has had a stretch of games half as bad as what Cleveland is doing right now. If the Pels beat Memphis handily, sure, go ahead and take something from that. Then, when they blow out Cleveland again, take nothing.

The real stretch is the next 12 games after that. That stretch will make or break the season. That stretch will let you truly evaluate this team. Last night? Was a glorified exhibition game that you should take absolutely nothing from.
    I mean, I did write the OP of this thread in which I detailed how atrociously awful Cleveland are. I'm under no illusions that we beat a good team last night. We didn't. You're being somewhat generous when you say they're a G league team, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be particularly effective down there either. They are bad; I do not disagree.

My disagreement is one that's not exactly quantifiable, so I understand if you don't agree, but I just want to make sure we're on the same page: we should not be happy because we beat Cleveland. We shouldn't even be happy because we blew Cleveland out. We shouldn't be happy at all, in fact. We should, however, not dismiss the psychological effects that having a big win can have. I don't know about you, but whenever I'm playing a game, or pursuing a goal, and everything is going wrong for me, it can be very difficult to fix those problems. You see them happening in front of you, and it's almost like you're watching your body on autopilot and can't stop yourself from bungling it.

Sometimes you just need that game or match or milestone where everything goes right, to let you realign yourself. The form of winning can be as much a catalyst as the act of getting a win, in the same way that the abstract concept of speech can be as powerful as any actual example of speech. I admit that this is a fairly wooly and vague semi-motivational way of looking at it, so I don't mind if you disagree, but that's my standpoint.

Does this reflect reality? No idea, we'll have to see how we handle Memphis next game before we can speculate on whether the form of winning has helped anyone turn any corners internally.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Zion is a once in a generation talent. So is RJ. You really should watch Duke basketball right now.

MM only comes around if we're not doing well. String a few wins together and he'll go away.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    MM only comes around if we're not doing well. String a few wins together and he'll go away.
    If that were true, I'd be here all the time

I don't believe in momentum across Games. In fact, I hate when the Pels win a few games against bad teams because they seem to relax a bit and then they get blindsided.

Let's just wait and see. We will know what this team is very clearly in four weeks
    I hate it when the Pels when against bad teams because then you have posters here bragging about “where are the haters now?” Getting some false sense of accomplishment, thinking that Gentry has somehow righted the ship, and that AD won’t leave now.

It’s such a vicious cycle.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I hate it when the Pels when against bad teams because then you have posters here bragging about “where are the haters now?” Getting some false sense of accomplishment, thinking that Gentry has somehow righted the ship, and that AD won’t leave now.

It’s such a vicious cycle.
    Would you rather we lose against bad teams?

Actually Cleveland is doing it right with the blow up. Look at Boston now after blowing it several years ago.

Would you rather we lose against bad teams?
    Of course not. Try to pay attention to what we are saying and not creating a strawman

All we are saying is that nothing should be taken from this wim when projecting forward. Glad they won but literally nothing should be taken from that game

Of course not. Try to pay attention to what we are saying and not creating a strawman

All we are saying is that nothing should be taken from this wim when projecting forward. Glad they won but literally nothing should be taken from that game
    I'm not creating a strawman I'm literally asking a straightforward question. I'm not trying to snooker anyone. There are some people who genuinely think we should abandon the season and tank as hard as possible, and they would indeed prefer we lose to bad teams.

Calm the paranoia, not everyone is out to get you. Sometimes a question is just a question.

The guy never made even the smallest implication that he would prefer a loss. Then, your question back was, "Would you prefer we lose?"

Essentially taking his argument and leading it somewhere else entirely. That's pretty much the definition of a strawman. Creating an argument that is easy to defeat, but an argument that your opponent didn't even imply, let alone say.

The guy never made even the smallest implication that he would prefer a loss. Then, your question back was, "Would you prefer we lose?"

Essentially taking his argument and leading it somewhere else entirely. That's pretty much the definition of a strawman. Creating an argument that is easy to defeat, but an argument that your opponent didn't even imply, let alone say.
    He literally said ''I hate it when the Pels win against bad teams'', and then said some things which clearly imply a dissatisfaction with the trajectory of the season (which I am not saying is unreasonable).

There are two options when we play a team, either we win, or we lose. If you said ''I hate when we win'', and you profess the sentiments commonly professed by those who think we should tank the season, it's not at all a leap to wonder whether they would prefer us to lose: the only other possible outcome, other than victory, which they have said they hate. To ask whether that alternative is true or not is not creating a strawman, especially when their position is not made clear and the alternative is an actual view some people hold. I also didn't attempt to ''defeat'' anything, so the teleological motive of a strawman was also absent.

If you can't pick up basic context cues, that's your problem, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    Zion is a once in a generation talent. So is RJ. You really should watch Duke basketball right now.
    I really don't care. I'll say it one more time. Losing by 10 or even 20 is not that uncommon. Losing by 35 is. Not even Cleveland loses that badly. The team obviously was highly dispappointed in that Brooklyn game.

Beating a bad Cleveland team by 35 exceeds expectations and is progress.

He said he hates when we win against bad teams because dumb people attribute meaning to something meaningless (basically). But whatever. The point remains, people will get excited about 3 straight wins despite who they are against and will get all optimistic. Then, will get brought back down to earth when the schedule gets real. You guys do it to yourselves. Get all excited now and then melt in two weeks. See if I care.

I hate the Cavaliers and Dan Gilbert so much. The fact that Lebron came back and handed them a title before leaving them again so they can tank with their “lottery luck” really ticks me off. Abysmal organization that doesn’t deserve to exist. That is coming from a fan of another awful organization.

Thread Information