Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: January 5th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Cleveland - 17-22

Pelicans January 5th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Cleveland - 17-22

Second game of the year, gotta get a win. Tonight we're coming off the back of a night where all five starters scored at least 15 points, Davis had a 34/26 game, and we lost. We are coming back tonight against the Cleveland Cavaliers, the league's worst team, who have a record of 8-31, and possess the league's worst defense. Yes, worse than ours. Yes, significantly worse than ours. Yes, worse than Phoenix. I'm talking 30th in the league, dead last, bottom rung, the worst. They have lost 8 straight, and were blown out in 5 of them. They are trash. We must beat them, and it's not really forgivable if we don't. You never want to lose, but if you lose to Minnesota, you can kinda see why. If you lose to Brooklyn, it's never good but they play hard and are decent this year, you can kinda see why. You cannot see why we should lose to Cleveland, it's just unthinkable if we even have a mediocre game. Let's look at them.

Offensive Rating: 25th
    Defensive Rating: 30th
    Rebounds per game: 22nd
    Assists per game: 30th
    Steals per game: 25th
    Blocks per game: 30th
    2pt percentage: 29th
    3pt percentage: 12th

Look at that. Look at those statistics. This team is woeful. The only skill they are decent in is 3pt shooting, and they're not even great at that, just a little above average. Also, consider this: No Kevin Love, no John Henson. Dellevadova, Nwaba, and Zizic all missed their last game, which was yesterday, and so they probably won't play tonight on this, the second night of a back to back.

So what do we worry about? Well, three things:

Our defense: we are not a good defensive team. Sure, Cleveland is worse, but we're still bottom 6. Our offense is fire, and theirs is very much not, but bad offenses can look spectacular when they're playing teams that don't even try to stop them. So we must play defense, and a large part of that is keeping them off the offensive glass: while Cleveland is not a good rebounding team by any measure, Tristan Thompson is currently averaging 5 offensive boards per game and gives them a lot of opportunities that we need to cut off. Thompson is a liability on offense, and he's not great at defending in space, so he can be exploited as long as we neutralise his only real elite skill.

After that, it's just a case of sticking Jrue on whichever guard they try and run through at any given moment. Of course, they don't have an elite guard, but Colin Sexton is fast and is shooting 39% from three for the Cavs, and as much as Jordan Clarkson is a moron, he can have a big game if we allow him to get going. It's going to take a combined team effort on the perimeter to try and keep all of their shooting threats down.

We need this win. The team needs to play like it. I want big games from someone not named Jrue or AD. I'd prefer 20 points and defense out of Randle over 30 points and none. I'd like some bench scoring please: if Miller can hit some shots and Okafor can get some minutes, I'd love that. If we can play even middle of the road defense, along with playing our usual offense and getting a little help from the bench (I'll take 25 points by now, even that will do), we could see Jrue and AD both drop 30 along the way to a blowout victory: and lord knows we need one.

Let's go, #DoItBig.
    Basketball.

Go team

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    If this ends up in an L, blow it up.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    If this ends up in an L, blow it up.
    Exactly. After this game our season can be done.

Cavs pre-game intro music is O Fortuna

lol

AD's midrange shot has looked great for about four games now.

Randle should be benched for that. That's the most egregious no pass I've ever seen. Wow. Just stunning idiocy.

Edit: for clarity, I'm talking about the play where AD was literally under the basket, wide open, with only Cedi Osman guarding him from behind. Absolutely perfect position, no help defense being played. Randle was 10 feet away, unobstructed view. Looked directly at AD, passed to Elfrid on the wing. Horrid horrid offense.

We are the worst team defending the 3 point Line. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    We are the worst team defending the 3 point Line. Pathetic.
    Perhaps unbelievably, we are not.

Great to see Miller actually taking shots, more of that please. He hits them when he takes them, he's just gun-shy for some reason.

AD has drawn 5 fouls on other bigs so far. Remember when he fouled out every Phoenix centre last season on the way to 53 points?

Getting flashbacks.

lol, Frazier thinking he's the main focal point of every team he's ever been on lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Never, ever, ever want to see Frazier taking off-the-dribble contest threes. Ever.

Ended the end of the first badly with Frazier and Hill both committing dumb plays.

But we won the first quarter, 28-26. I'll take it. I will take it.

Okafor is on the floor.

Frank Jackson played solid defense on Channing Frye in the post...

FRANK ON THE BLOCK LIKE OLAJUWON

The bench has given us 14 points so far this game.

They gave us 5 all last game.

Bench has done well keeping us up, but we need the starters coming back in soon.

Pels really playing with a confidence right now, not everything is going our way and the refs are refusing to call Thompson for using the off-arm and charging, but we're still looking to go into the half around double digits lead.

Basketball Guru
    we are 2nd in scoring and 29th in points allowed....what would our record be if we played a lil better defense?...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    we are 2nd in scoring and 29th in points allowed....what would our record be if we played a lil better defense?...
    If we were even a mediocre defensive team, we'd be 24-15 or something.

Nice way to start a second half.

Outscoring the other team 30-12 in the third quarter?

I'll take that every day.

Lol, that was not a foul. AD didn't touch Nance.

AD with a FILTHY DUNK

Thread Information