Pelicans Report

Thread: Report: "Football Guys" Have Broken The Pelicans And May Scare Anthony Davis Away

Report: "Football Guys" Have Broken The Pelicans And May Scare Anthony Davis Away

Possibly some truth into the report? I honestly thought I was reading gossip too!!! But it is actually happening.

https://deadspin.com/report-football...-ma-1831475626

This pattern isn’t a total anomaly if you ask rival team executives, who have long chided the Pelicans’ medical team for being run by “football guys” instead of those who have experience in the NBA. Fair or not, the Pelicans are fighting against a league-wide perception.

“The organization only cares about the Saints,” one league exec told NBC Sports.
    The collection of staff members only hired on the basis of their football experience is kind of wild. The team’s head trainer hired in 2010 came from the Texans, and his successor was an assistant trainer for the Saints. In 2012, the team hired Mickey Loomis to be president of basketball operations for the Pelicans while also being general manager of the Saints. The organization even kept on Dr. Misty Suri, a Saints orthopedist who was fired in 2017 after misdiagnosing cornerback Delvin Breaux’s broken leg, as Director of Medical Services and Head Team Physician.

Even more eye-opening is the injury list that’s followed these hiring practices to the training and medical staff. Tyreke Evans, Quincy Pondexter, Frank Jackson and Alexis Ajinca are all New Orleans players who have had to go through multiple surgeries over a short period of time. Eric Gordon had to go to the media himself and set his timetable to return from injury in 2012. Then, there’s DeMarcus Cousins, the first true superstar to play with Davis, whose tenure with the Pelicans was wasted because of terrible minutes management.

Last season, Cousins ruptured his Achilles tendon after an excessive workload just before the All-Star break. Playing on the fastest team in the NBA, Cousins also endured the most taxing month of his career from a minutes perspective, which included playing four overtimes in nine days and one game in which he played a career-high 52 minutes. His Achilles tendon snapped in the fourth quarter, his fourth game in seven days.

Forget the (unfair) label as “injury-prone” throughout his career—if you’re Anthony Davis, why would you stick around with a team that not only can’t keep anyone who could help during a championship run healthy, but also has owners who couldn’t be bothered to hire the right people to protect those players in the first place?

The Benson family probably thought they were smart to cut costs while owning two professional sports teams by committing to these “crossover” hires. But, like every half-baked idea from bumbling rich airheads, it backfired. Sure, the Bensons will definitely be saving plenty of money pretty soon, but only because their most expensive asset likely won’t be there.

So this is what it is all about! Money! Gayle may not even offer Davis a Supermax Contract as far as we know because wait for it, Trying to save money! Not trolling here just agitated!

Sorry I had to post again this is starting to make my blood boil. We can't be this stupid? Can we? Get it together front office!

Seriously. It was Gayle that convinced Tom to buy the Pels. "The Benson" family...'bumbling rich airheads". As far as I can tell, there is only one Benson these days...Gayle. One point we should be thankful for...the cross-over ownership has resulted in plenty of season tickets and revenue that might not be there for the Pelicans.

Gayle will make the offer available. It's who presents it to AD that will tell the tale of the tape.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

IIRC the training staff was changed this past season, and they brought in "basketball guys"..

The injuries this year have been freak things, sprained ankles and a broken pinkie.. That's stuff that's unavoidable no matter who you have as a trainer.. If we were have muscle/tendon injuries, then I could see a reason to complain.
    Last edited by soggymoss; 01-04-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Seriously. It was Gayle that convinced Tom to buy the Pels. "The Benson" family...'bumbling rich airheads". As far as I can tell, there is only one Benson these days...Gayle. One point we should be thankful for...the cross-over ownership has resulted in plenty of season tickets and revenue that might not be there for the Pelicans.

Gayle will make the offer available. It's who presents it to AD that will tell the tale of the tape.
    Just FYI we are 25 out of 30

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

I do agree this will improve once Davis signs that long term deal. If not we continue to sink. As for the training staff it is Jon Ishop From the Shinn era. Also spent time with Houston Texans

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/801268/

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/jon_ishop/?nav=page
    Last edited by AstroFire; 01-03-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    Just FYI we are 25 out of 30

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

I do agree this will improve once Davis signs that long term deal. If not we continue to sink. As for the training staff it is Jon Ishop From the Shinn era. Also spent time with Houston Texans

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/801268/

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/jon_ishop/?nav=page
    If I remember, if the Pels were to sell-out EVERY home game, we would still be in the middle of the pack somewhere. And those numbers are for actual attendance too.

Is the solution simply to get Loomis out of basketball and keep him on the football side?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I’m sorry, but Cousins having four games in 7 days, and a stretch of multiple overtime’s is because we had football people? Frank Jackson breaking his already broken foot is because we have football people? Eric Gordon and his laundry list of pre injuries is also because of football?

This is a mantra that has been spewed the second Loomis got involved. Before one single game tipped off. And it’s idiotic IMO.

Loomis is a businessman, not a football guy. He oversees virtually everything for the Bensons and has been pretty successful doing it.

Now if you want to question the competency of our medical staff, have at it. There is obviously something there, and I believe much of it comes from outside pressures of sponsorships etc and who they choose to do business with.

But man that article reached so bad lol

Loomis being POBO is somewhat overblown. It is a higher administrative position that is typically not involved in making personnel decisions, but more business decisions. It is a very poorly researched article. Where does it state that Cousins came to the Pelicans with Achilles issues (before ever being exposed to our training staff)? They seem to assume that if a player plays a lot of minutes over a few days, that their achilles is sure to snap. However, the title meets the agenda intended.

Anytime you have to add "not trolling" to your post... It probably indicates that deep down even you know that you're post is full of nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Anytime you have to add "not trolling" to your post... It probably indicates that deep down even you know that you're post is full of nonsense.
    If I’m a troll then what is Lebron James and the fact the NBA is seems to be endorsing what he is doing. The NBA retweeting the articles sure is not helping our situation.

It is what it is what you are telling me?

Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    If I’m a troll then what is Lebron James and the fact the NBA is seems to be endorsing what he is doing. The NBA retweeting the articles sure is not helping our situation.

It is what it is what you are telling me?
    It's not the article that is trolling. It's your interpretation of the article.

I thought Swimmer talked to you about how to posts in forms?

Thread Information