Pelicans Report

Thread: Getting AD to sign the Super Max next Summer

Getting AD to sign the Super Max next Summer

I think we should all seriously consider the possibility that AD will turn down his extension next summer. And I wouldn't be mad at him at all. Everyone has settled on the fact that we're not moving AD. Yet. But the question of whether AD will be a Pel for the foreseeable future will be answered in the coming summer.

AD is eligible for the super max, and he can either sign it and stay... or turn it down. Turning that down will pretty much give us the answer to whether he' staying or leaving.

If he decides to refuse the contract, then we'll need to do what we can to make sure we get the best return for him, because he's not gonna stay if he turns down that contract. We can wish real hard that he'll eventually accept the offer later in the year, but we'd be fooling ourselves to think it'll happen.

So with that said... what could this front office reasonably do with this roster to make AD say... yeah I'll extend?

Here's a look at our 2020 roster (Okafor Team option)

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orle...cans/cap/2019/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_743 Jan. 03 13.30.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	6375

Here are the cap holds:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_744 Jan. 03 13.31.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	6376

We also have about 5 mil in trade exceptions. Here's a list of free agents.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/11/27/nba...e-top-players/

What can we do to keep the guy?

That Hill contract looks worse and worse every time I see it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Get AD drunk at a restaurant . Then get him to sign it. “Just sign here.” Loomis is good at this kind of stuff.

Seriously there is not much more we can do. Either he wants to be here or does not. At least we get an idea this summer.

Basketball Guru
    if i was the GM,,i would wait to see if the lakers sign any of the top 6 FA....if none of them sign with the lakers then thats good for me because its showing me that the top players dont want to help lebron win another title....

if AD dont sign the max,,ill ask him in private if he is staying or leaving...after our talk,,i would start looking for trades....my trading team would be the lakers and im taking everybody..im betting on lebron being mad that no one does not want to join him so he will be desperate to get AD now then wait and blow that season away.....so im trading AD before the new year...

im asking for kuzma,,,ingram,,,ball,,hart,,hope they re sign zubac and im taking him also....they will need a 3rd or 4th team to trade with and im getting something from those teams also....hell and i would take luke walton as my coach because luke is not going to last with lebron and magic lol....

the team i hope i would have to start the 2020 year would be

payton.....ball.......
    jrue.........hart......jackson
    ingram.....moore.......miller
    kuzma......player in trade.....
    randall......zubac.....okafor

young and fun team...can run,,,inside scoring,,,shooting,,,rebounding,,,players that can attack the rim,,,players who can create their own shot,,,hope jrue can instill the defensive mindset in the younguns....hungry they got traded for AD and have a chip on their shoulders.....team should make the playoffs also.....and we would have alot of assets to trade to get better....and the team is deep....

my main thing in the trade is young players who could turn into stars or superstars and assets to get better....

so i guess im on the trade AD team because i just dont see us putting a good team around him at the money he will be making to get better in the future.....my lakers trade has me in good money and cap wise...assets to be able to make good moves to better my team....

1st, I try to work a 3 team trade with Boston and Chicago

Boston gets : Niko, Moore, Frank 2021 1st
    Chicago gets: Hill, Johnson, Diallo 2019 1st (pels)
    NOP gets: Hayward, Rozier, Lopez, Justin Holiday

Leaves us with:
    Payton/Rozier/Frazier
    Jrue/Miller/Clark
    Hayward/Holiday
    AD/Randle
    Lopez/Okafor

We wait for the buyout market and add 2 bigs (one 4 and one 5)

Then, I fire Gentry, and throw the horses farm at trying to bring Calipri in here..

And, Memphis just ********ed my who thing up since they trading for Justin Holiday

Whatever happens, it won't be on Demps/Gentry's watch. Especially Demps, he has had eight years to figure it out. I've opined ad nausea about making a run at John Calipari.

Some of y'all have frowned upon that idea, but he would change the narrative from the Pelicans can never win, to the Pelicans are doing everything possible to win. That at least gives us a shot at AD and plenty of others. The Kentucky kids seem to love the guy and I could care less if every person on our roster played at UK. The dynamic between him and Sean Payton would be pretty large and the fans would get excited too. Right now, there is little excitement or interest in this franchise.

Letting Dell blow it up and then firing him would be negligent. Giving him another year to sign players to bad contracts and trade away draft picks for marginal players would be borderline insane.
    Last edited by WildlifeAirGrp; 01-03-2019 at 07:25 PM.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Thread Information