Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: December 29th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Houston Rockets - 16-20

Pelicans December 29th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Houston Rockets - 16-20

Tonight we take on the 19-15 Houston Rockets, fresh off of winning 8 of their last 9, led by perennial foul-getter James Harden. Let's take a look at their team:

Offensive Rating: 2nd
    Defensive Rating: 26th
    Rebounds per game: 29th
    Assists per game: 28th
    Steals per game: 16th
    Blocks per game: 17th
    2pt percentage: 3rd
    3pt percentage: 20th (but first in attempts and makes)

Okay, so Houston's recent success is a little bit of a mystery based on those stats. They're a worse defensive team than us, they're almost the worst rebounding and playmaking team in the league, they aren't particularly good at getting steals or blocks, and they aren't shooting particularly well from 3. Heck, they're not even shooting massively well at the FT line, 17th in the league in percentage. So, how are they winning? Simple: James Harden is doing the one-man-band thing, and the refs are giving him 14 free throws a game for it. Across their last 9 games*, Harden is averaging a (frankly absurd) 39ppg, and is banging hard on the 50/40/90 splits (45/41/89). Combine that with Clint Capela's synergy with him in the pick and roll and the fact that they don't turn the ball over, that'll just about do it.

*Just for comparison, over our last 9 games, AD has averaged 34/15/3.6 on 52% from the floor and has received only 8.5 FTAs per game, almost 5.5 less than Harden. I do not want you to think of how many of our last few losses might have been wins if AD got to the line for 6 more shots shooting his 80%.

Their number one guy is James Harden, and there's really no contesting that. He's putting up 33/5/8 on the season so far, which is ludicrous. By comparison, AD is averaging 29/13/4.7, and he's not getting anywhere near the victories that Harden is. Part of that is the foul's issue, and part of it is the fact that Harden will force the offense (made of course easier by the fact that he knows he'll get fouls called if he does). When AD forces the offence in a similar way, he can sometimes have this effect too: for a good example, see last game.

AD and Harden can basically neutralise each other in terms of scoring. Harden's averaging 39ppg in this run, AD is averaging 34.4, so it's not too different. So who's second banana? For them, without CP3, it's Capela: he's averaging 17/12 on 64% from the floor. He's also setting good screens and defending well, especially when it comes to lateral movement, which is allowing Harden to slack somewhat when defending the PnR. For us, that second guy is Jrue, who is averaging 21/4.5/9 and shooting 47% from the floor, while guarding the other teams best ball handler. I think we actually win this battle.

After that, honestly there isn't much in it. We have Randle, and he's definitely the better third option against an Eric Gordon who's shooting 30% from 3, but Houston has the bench advantage with multiple players who are able to come in and provide at least temporary support whereas our bench doesn't seem to exist. Despite how much better Houston has performed in comparison to us, I honestly see this game being fairly close, especially at home.

Let's go out there and put our stamp on it: 2-0 against Houston after tonight. #DoItBig
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    houston pick n roll will hurt us is they dont go away from it.....

if i see rivers,,gordon,,harden or any small guard switch and guard AD in the paint and he dont punish them,,,im going to loose it tonight.......i know randall will punish the small guards tonight but i need to see AD do it...i think okafor will destroy the small guards.....im tired of seeing houston play defense like that on our bigs and we dont destroy them and get them into foul trouble smdh....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    houston pick n roll will hurt us is they dont go away from it.....

if i see rivers,,gordon,,harden or any small guard switch and guard AD in the paint and he dont punish them,,,im going to loose it tonight.......i know randall will punish the small guards tonight but i need to see AD do it...i think okafor will destroy the small guards.....im tired of seeing houston play defense like that on our bigs and we dont destroy them and get them into foul trouble smdh....
    If AD plays the way he did yesterday today, with that dedication to the paint, with that level of integrity in the post (which he's always been able to do but just doesn't prefer for some reason), I don't see any reason why he can't provide 40+ again tonight on high efficiency. Only really Capela is an obstacle as a defender for AD. Nene is just too old and doesn't have the lift or the legs anymore (if he's even playing much this year, can't remember). If Capela really guards AD hard all night, AD should be able to pass out of that from the post to cause havoc, and other bigs like Randle and Okafor should be able to feast. If Capela decides to hedge out on AD and give him room in order to stop guards driving in, then AD should have ample room to do whatever he wants. Aggressive AD should be able to do anything tonight, if he wants to.

I don't get why AD mostly chooses to play on the perimeter at times. Because it seems like he could just go inside and dominate every single game, if he wanted too. If he wants to be the best player in the league he should just sit on the block all night and dare other teams to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I don't get why AD mostly chooses to play on the perimeter at times. Because it seems like he could just go inside and dominate every single game, if he wanted too. If he wants to be the best player in the league he should just sit on the block all night and dare other teams to stop him.
    Easier on the body, less tiring. Several early career injuries discourage throwing yourself into the teeth of the defense frequently, and having to carry the team on both ends for 40 minutes a night makes you want to reserve your energy.

Let’s go on a streak to welcome back Elfrid

Also, can't remember who I saw posting this stat, but a note about AD: last night was his 9th career 45/15 game. That's the most in the league since the NBA/ABA merger. Second place goes to Shaq, who had 7. No other active player has had more than 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Also, can't remember who I saw posting this stat, but a note about AD: last night was his 9th career 45/15 game. That's the most in the league since the NBA/ABA merger. Second place goes to Shaq, who had 7. No other active player has had more than 3.
    He's a decent player. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That’s one hell of a stat!
    RIP FlyGirl

Miller is out with an illness

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Miller is out with an illness
    That's fine we have so much depth to replace him with it'll be great.

Moore and Hill moved into the starting lineup, starters for the teams:

Pelicans
    pg: holiday
    sg: moore
    sf: hill
    pf: randle
    c: davis

Rockets
    pg: harden
    sg: gordon
    sf: house
    pf: tucker
    c: capela

Also worth noting, the Pels will be wearing the earned jersey edition for the first time tonight. Schedule for this jersey is:

Saturday, December 29 vs. Houston
    Monday, December 31 vs. Minnesota
    Saturday, January 5 at Cleveland
    Monday, January 7 vs. Memphis
    Wednesday, January 9 vs. Cleveland
    Wednesday, January 16 at Golden State
    Friday, January 18 at Portland
    Monday, January 21 at Memphis
    Wednesday, January 23 vs. Detroit
    Saturday, January 26 vs. San Antonio
    Wednesday, January 30 vs. Denver
    Saturday, March 16 vs. Phoenix
    Sunday, March 24 vs. Houston
    Sunday, March 31 vs. Los Angeles Lakers
    Tuesday, April 9 vs. Golden State
    Last edited by billfromfinance; 12-29-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Earned Jerseys're looking good

I'm digging these jerseys!

Both teams are seeing who can throw it away in the stupidest fashion right now.

Not only are we not looking to AD inside, we aren't looking to AD at all.

great fightback, dumb foul by e'twaun but team is playing better as a whole, and nice finish there with jrue and tim

What kind of coach let the other team's best iso player handle the ball? As soon as he comes to half court the primary and secondary defender should be there

Do to Harden what everyone does AD, double him

assistant coach said at halftime with david (paraphrasing here) "he's (harden) doing everything but no one else is really getting the ball much and no rhythm for them". so seems like a bit of a game plan to me.

ahh the nba refs where the jump shooting team gets more fts than the team going to the basket lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

looked like Finch was asking randle there "why didn't you pass the ball out to e'twaun". was wide open behind him, chose to bully ball it into a turnover instead.

With Janes Harden you have to ask if you want it wet or dry, because he and the refs are going to give you the business all night long.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Ad is such a weirdo you go from playing with purpose to not taking shots

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

THERE IT IS

Thread Information