Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: December 28th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Dallas Mavericks - 15-20

Pelicans December 28th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Dallas Mavericks - 15-20

Gotta win this one, it's very important for us. Luckily, we're at home, which helps a lot. We're playing the same team we lost to a few nights ago, the Dallas Mavericks, and as a result I'm not going to bother listing all of their stats and doing an analysis, because it's the same team and it hasn't been long enough for those things to have changed appreciably. Instead, I'm going to mention a few things we need to take from last game and change this game.

First: DeAndre Jordan shot 7/7 from the field, had 20 points and 12 rebounds. The good news is that only one of his rebounds was offensive: the bad news is that you can't let DJ drop 20+ on you. He isn't a creative player, he doesn't have dribble moves, he can't take anyone off the dribble, he's not massively fast, and he can't really create for himself. There is no reason for him to be scoring a lot. When he does, it's a sign that he's been let off the hook on the defensive end: that means tonight, someone needs to actually stick to him.

Secondly: AD needs to shoot less threes. I get that he was trying to expand his game over the summer and he was shooting them fairly well over the first 20 games of the season, but he's not shooting them very well anymore. I also understand that part of the reason he's taking them a lot, especially late in games, is because he's tired from playing big minutes earlier in the game, and having to do so much on both ends. I get that: I'm not resenting him. All I'm saying is that if he's about to take a 25 foot three with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, maybe try not doing that.

Thirdly: There needs to be some more scoring from other guys. I get that this is like banging on the same drum every game without Niko and Payton, but we got 39 points total from everyone not names Anthony, Jrue, and Julius. That's just not good enough at all. Outside of the big three active players, we had one player in double digits. Moore didn't hit a single three. Solo had 3 points. That's just not good enough. You cannot win games like that. Dallas, by contrast, had two different players off the bench drop 16+. 6 players in double figures instead of 3.

Fourthly: Rebounding, guys? We got outrebounded 46-39, and that includes being outrebounded on both ends of the floor. No single stat tells you the whole story of a game, sure, but rebounds are a fair way to make a quick and dirty judgement: if you got outrebounded by twenty boards, you almost certainly lost. We have to keep things closer tonight, and preferably take the lead- at least on the offensive boards.

Fifthly: Shot selection. Now, I know every team plays defense differently, and therefore you can't just compare shots taken against one team to another as if it's a one to one comparison, but it can be helpful to see what kind of shots are being taken in wins in comparison to losses. If you look at our last win, a statement game against OKC, we took a total of 9 shots in the midrange (outside of the paint but inside of the arc). Against Dallas last game, we took 15. Just a little something to think about: obviously if you get the open midrange and you know you can hit that, take it, but you shouldn't just settle for it when the alternative of a run to the rim is right there.

Okay so that's about all I have to say in regards to that. Hopefully the team has been thinking about last game as much as I have, and has a few ideas of their own about what to do this time around. We need to get this win tonight, and stop the losing streak. Can't enter January having not won anything since the 12th.

Let's go, #DoItBig.
    Basketball.

***putting my gimp suit on***

Alright. I'm ready.

sixthly: frank jackson and darius miller need to know where the sideline is, and stand inside it.

these look like the same trash refs from last game awesome

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    Bad rebounding already

who is this unit in the tacocat singlet hahaha

dirk v solo on tuuurrible 3's

Shoe-less-ius Randle

seriously???? wth he's leading into Moore and Moores not moving but it's a foul wtf

gotta love gentry and his let's put a sf in the center lol wow great coaching

So. Unbelievably. Trash.

woof! 7% from 3 as a team is just straight trash

I'm really loving ads harden defense lately he doesn't look pathetic at all

Is Gentry going to finish the season at this point?

4-0 start follow up by 11-20... B about TO be 21.

This team is so badly constructed.
    Too many players who can't create for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    This team is so badly constructed.
    Too many players who can't create for themselves.
    No length on the wing and the only guys with a bit of length are too trash to play so Doncic and Barnes just dominate

Benson may have saved the team but he also cursed it with his win now mandate

It's gonna be a long 10 years

Dang.

Never thought I'd be in the "trade AD camp".....but....I may be there. Close to the edge. I could totally waffle if they win some. But I'm in the outskirts.

Yes. I think most of our woes this season are injury related. But this deficit is getting insurmountable. And I do think he's gone anyways if we don't start doing something.

So. Clean house. Fire Demps and Gentry. Demand a king's ransom for AD. And let the new guy use all the ammo to rebuild.

It won't take 10 years. Add Ingram, Kuzma, and Ball to Randle, Jrue, and Niko and that's a better team than any we've had with AD. And young. Get something similar and we will be fine. Let this drag on and get fleeced and we are screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    No length on the wing and the only guys with a bit of length are too trash to play so Doncic and Barnes just dominate

Benson may have saved the team but he also cursed it with his win now mandate

It's gonna be a long 10 years
    It's not just this game, its every team they play.
    They need players who can create.

Guy's like Bazemore, J. Simmons, Justin Holiday all should be attainable.
    But Dell will wait until its too late and try and squeeze into the 8 and be rolled by GS.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    It's not just this game, its every team they play.
    They need players who can create.

Guy's like Bazemore, J. Simmons, Justin Holiday all should be attainable.
    But Dell will wait until its too late and try and squeeze into the 8 and be rolled by GS.
    Yeah I know it's every game, was just making it relevant to this one

Not enough players on the floor to start the game #Pelslife

Man. You listen to these coaches..."we need to take pride in defending"......they come out late and get a tech......they've lost this team.

Any team that insists on starting Tim Frazier and Darius Miller is gonna struggle.

Jrue has to start at PG with Elfid out. Moore needs to start at the 2 or 3, his shooting and creativity are needed.
    2 of three, AD, Randle, or OKofor should almost always be in the game.

A far as the other player on the court, it has to be match ups or if someone gets on a role.
    Hill, Miller, W Johnson, F Jackson, Clark, Frazier, Dialllo, or Harrison have to earn their minutes. None of them have has.

Coincidentally, Good start to the second half, at least the line up, Jrue, Moore, Hill, Randle, and AD
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

.......how are we 1 for 14 from three.....?

Thank God Hill

God Jrue is really dumb sometimes

Luka is insane

Thread Information