Pelicans Report

Thread: Was last year worth it?

Was last year worth it?

I haven't posted here for awhile, but I want to get the pulse of this board. Was last year worth the price of another year (possibly longer) of Dell and Alvin?

I'll go first. To me, absolutely not.

It wasn’t. We are the same suckers who sucked two years ago.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Absolutely not! It prolonged our suffering. The wrong person got credit for the success. Rondo coached the team to the playoffs. Alvin is absolutely clueless. He is the worst coach in the league considering the talent. The team may not be 10 deep but they are 7 deep and those 7 should be able to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Absolutely not! It prolonged our suffering. The wrong person got credit for the success. Rondo coached the team to the playoffs. Alvin is absolutely clueless. He is the worst coach in the league considering the talent. The team may not be 10 deep but they are 7 deep and those 7 should be able to win.
    This team definitely appears to miss Rondo’s leadership, basketball IQ, and attitude. Guys just look lifeless out there. No one is holding them accountable. No one is firing them up. Unfortunately, AD and Jrue don’t seem capable of inspiring and elevating the play of their teammates.
    Last edited by lawless522; 12-27-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Missing on Jimmy Butler really coming back to haunt us. Whatever we offered we should have offered more. AD is not a leader. They lose enough games to be second worst in the West and he has the nerve to suggest he doesn’t get enough help. He doesn’t get enough help to win a title yes. But he has more than enough help for this to be a playoff team. He needs to take a long look in the mirror before he becomes the Aaron Rodgers of the NBA. Rodgers at least waited until he won a trophy to start blaming his teammates. 1/5 from 3 tonight. 32.6% on the year. He has no business taking 3s. Maybe the already fired coaches should man up and say something about it. “Hey AD, you’re one of the worst all star caliber clutch players in the league, how about NOT chucking up two 3s in the last ten seconds of the game? Thx” -Management

He thinks he’s a guard. And it probably has everything to do with playing guard in high school. He wants to be KD. He is not. He needs to get in the weight room and turn himself into Giannis with a 3 point shot. Because Giannis without 3 point shot >>> AD with guard mentality and 32.6% from 3. When the game is on the line do any of you ever think to yourselves “you know what we’ll be fine we have AD.” Be honest. Nope. You don’t. And if you’re really watching you cringe when he shoots 15+ ft shots in the last 5 minutes. The reason you draft a guy like this is to go back to the well in the last 5 minutes. You bang all game and get at least one of their big men in foul trouble so that you can feed AD down below in the clutch. But noooo, backing them down into a layup off the glass doesn’t make sportscenter. 3 point shots from 6’11 forwards do. If he got this from watching Kyrie yesterday I would hope that he also noticed Kyrie’s first half hustle and his drive to involve his teammates in that game.

Rant over.
    Last edited by RhythmNathan; 12-27-2018 at 05:44 AM.

I think Boogie going down injured and Mirotic being the perfect fit saved his job. Dell probably thought that it wasn’t Gentry’s fault as much as it was the personnel. Any decent coach can make a core of AD, Boogie, Jrue and Niko work. Veterans would be frothing at the mouth to play for us on cheap contracts. Rondo might have stayed. Things just didn’t work out and we made the mistake of extending Gentry on a mirage.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNathan View Post
    Missing on Jimmy Butler really coming back to haunt us. Whatever we offered we should have offered more. AD is not a leader. They lose enough games to be second worst in the West and he has the nerve to suggest he doesn’t get enough help. He doesn’t get enough help to win a title yes. But he has more than enough help for this to be a playoff team. He needs to take a long look in the mirror before he becomes the Aaron Rodgers of the NBA. Rodgers at least waited until he won a trophy to start blaming his teammates. 1/5 from 3 tonight. 32.6% on the year. He has no business taking 3s. Maybe the already fired coaches should man up and say something about it. “Hey AD, you’re one of the worst all star caliber clutch players in the league, how about NOT chucking up two 3s in the last ten seconds of the game? Thx” -Management

He thinks he’s a guard. And it probably has everything to do with playing guard in high school. He wants to be KD. He is not. He needs to get in the weight room and turn himself into Giannis with a 3 point shot. Because Giannis without 3 point shot >>> AD with guard mentality and 32.6% from 3. When the game is on the line do any of you ever think to yourselves “you know what we’ll be fine we have AD.” Be honest. Nope. You don’t. And if you’re really watching you cringe when he shoots 15+ ft shots in the last 5 minutes. The reason you draft a guy like this is to go back to the well in the last 5 minutes. You bang all game and get at least one of their big men in foul trouble so that you can feed AD down below in the clutch. But noooo, backing them down into a layup off the glass doesn’t make sportscenter. 3 point shots from 6’11 forwards do. If he got this from watching Kyrie yesterday I would hope that he also noticed Kyrie’s first half hustle and his drive to involve his teammates in that game.

Rant over.
    I just had the same conversation with a friend in regards to AD. He really needs to look in the mirror and ask some questions of himself. We should have 5 or 6 more wins, even with our current injury situation. He needs to demand the ball and go down low, rather than chucking 18 ft jumpers, or 3's at the end of games. I have yet to see him just put the team on his shoulders in the last 5 minutes, which is whats needed from him. If he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Lebron, then he needs to figure that out

I don't understand how anyone got fooled last year. Just look at those crazy 50/50wins against junk teams. The freshness at AD playing more 5. Teams where gonna figure out to attack that and Gentry is too stubborn to admit that he is wrong. Losing Rondo was the biggest issue. He filter out bad Gentry.

On too of that... Our FO making an ****** out of themselves over the Boogie fiasco really came back to haunt them. The level of unprofessionalim on our side was a bunch of bad karma and made us... A small market that desperately has to overpay for FA look bad and made things much worse.

Also, let's not forget how ********** the FO was when they refuse to be a tax team in a pivotal moment for AD. Trash from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I don't understand how anyone got fooled last year. Just look at those crazy 50/50wins against junk teams. The freshness at AD playing more 5. Teams where gonna figure out to attack that and Gentry is too stubborn to admit that he is wrong. Losing Rondo was the biggest issue. He filter out bad Gentry.

On too of that... Our FO making an ****** out of themselves over the Boogie fiasco really came back to haunt them. The level of unprofessionalim on our side was a bunch of bad karma and made us... A small market that desperately has to overpay for FA look bad and made things much worse.

Also, let's not forget how ********** the FO was when they refuse to be a tax team in a pivotal moment for AD. Trash from top to bottom.
    I’d wager most weren’t ecstatic about Gentry being extended- me included. Hilariously enough, I think the longevity of Seán Payton has clouded the judgement of our owners. In that case their patience has paid off, but we have never had a winning mentality with Gentry. Basketball is a much different beast than the NFL where anyone can sneak their way into the Super Bowl. AD is an advertising tool to the franchise and not much else.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that the Pels handled Cousins unprofessionally. They offered him $40 million when no other NBA team offered him more than the minimum.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    I just had the same conversation with a friend in regards to AD. He really needs to look in the mirror and ask some questions of himself. We should have 5 or 6 more wins, even with our current injury situation. He needs to demand the ball and go down low, rather than chucking 18 ft jumpers, or 3's at the end of games. I have yet to see him just put the team on his shoulders in the last 5 minutes, which is whats needed from him. If he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Lebron, then he needs to figure that out

to be fair..after boogie went down and we had those bad games where AD look like he was out of it,,,after boogie called him and had that talk with him,,AD did put the team on his shoulders and played like a superstar putting up crazy numbers and carrying us to wins.......

i dont know how you forgot about that....

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure how you came to the conclusion that the Pels handled Cousins unprofessionally. They offered him $40 million when no other NBA team offered him more than the minimum.
    They offered him one offer in April. Boogie wanted to wait till free agency to decide with him doing extensive rehab. Then, Pels pulled the offer without telling him and ghosted him. I'm sorry, but that is gonna be looked down by a lot of players. That is just unnecessary bad karma and poorly handled situation.

Whether Boogie was a bad egg or not. The organization should of handled it better for free agency preception. We just look like an amateur organization begging to be sold to Seattle.
    Last edited by Taker597; 12-27-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    to be fair..after boogie went down and we had those bad games where AD look like he was out of it,,,after boogie called him and had that talk with him,,AD did put the team on his shoulders and played like a superstar putting up crazy numbers and carrying us to wins.......

i dont know how you forgot about that....
    I'm talking about this season

They offered him one offer in April. Boogie wanted to wait till free agency to decide with him doing extensive rehab. Then, Pels pulled the offer without telling him and ghosted him. I'm sorry, but that is gonna be looked down by a lot of players. That is just unnecessary bad karma and poorly handled situation.

Whether Boogie was a bad egg or not. The organization should of handled it better for free agency preception. We just look like an amateur organization begging to be sold to Seattle.
    Lease for the SKC goes until 2024 if I’m right. Something to keep an eye on in 3-5 years if Gayle does not negotiate a new deal. Vegas wants an NBA team now to complete trifecta.

Let that sink in

https://www.givemesport.com/1312298-...next-few-years

As of right now there is nothing to be worried about for now.
    Last edited by AstroFire; 12-27-2018 at 04:25 PM.

I think you are cherry picking the facts. He was offered the $40 million and left in a tantrum (turning his back on his team in the playoffs). It was he who distanced himself. His offer was pulled after he failed to accept it and the team had to prepare for free agency.

Wait, so players are gonna look down on the Pelicans for offering him 40 mil, while completely aware that Boogie may never come back as good as before, who is still going through rehab!? Nah! Boogie not being back is all on Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Wait, so players are gonna look down on the Pelicans for offering him 40 mil, while completely aware that Boogie may never come back as good as before, who is still going through rehab!? Nah! Boogie not being back is all on Boogie
    Boogie can come back if he wants too. GS will not re-sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    Boogie can come back if he wants too. GS will not re-sign him.
    No bird rights. Would make it very difficult to sign him as a free agent unless he comes in for a smaller contract (which he has shown he would not want).

Thread Information