Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pels trying to trade for Beal

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Be nice but I’m sure it would take at min 2 first rounders especially without any good players going out.
    After a bit more thought, I would risk a second first in '21 or '22 as long as the players are the same. The reason being if AD is gone regardless young talent and picks will come back anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I dont think we need to take Mahinmi if we're giving up 2 first round picks. We should be taking back Ariza in that deal. Washington should be looking to tank for the next 2 years, with Wall having season ending heel surgery. He may not be back until mid season next year. As long as they are under the tax, Mahinmi on the books doesnt hurt them going forward. Nobody is signing in Washington this summer.
    We would definitely need to take back Mahinmi.. The only reason Washington doesnt have a high tax bill this year is because Wall is still on his previous contract. Next season his figure balloons from 25 million to 40 million, so they will want expirings or cheap contracts and someone to take Mahinmi in any deal for Beal.. Dealing for Porter we may be able to get away without taking Mahinmi, but they would want all expirings (like Niko and Moore)

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    We would definitely need to take back Mahinmi.. The only reason Washington doesnt have a high tax bill this year is because Wall is still on his previous contract. Next season his figure balloons from 25 million to 40 million, so they will want expirings or cheap contracts and someone to take Mahinmi in any deal for Beal.. Dealing for Porter we may be able to get away without taking Mahinmi, but they would want all expirings (like Niko and Moore)
    I say we wait em out. I doubt anybody else will take back Mahinmi in a Beal trade and give them a young piece like Randle, a good role player in Moore and 2 firsts. They need to send us a first if they want us to take back Mahinmi.

I say we wait em out. I doubt anybody else will take back Mahinmi in a Beal trade and give them a young piece like Randle, a good role player in Moore and 2 firsts. They need to send us a first if they want us to take back Mahinmi.
    That's why we need to get a 3rd team involved to take on Mahinmi and Hill

That's why we need to get a 3rd team involved to take on Mahinmi and Hill
    AGAIN, NO WAY, we should not give up Randall or NICO or any usable pieces to get Beal.

Basketball Guru
    the Washington trade talks are crazy...

The way I view the trade, Solo and Mahinmi would just about cancel each other out (Pels taking back $2 mil so slight advantage Pels) so then it's Randle, Moore, Johnson, 2 firsts for Beal. I only said 2 first because I don't know if those players and 1 first are enough for Beal. Also, with Randle, his contract is not advantageous for a team to trade for. He can walk and go get paid somewhere. It's part of the reason I want to trade him and not Niko. I already said, the FO is going to have to decide between Randle and Mirotic. I would much rather the person who compliments AD better on top of having his bird rights. If Randle is traded, that team would only have his non-bird rights.
    Question: Would y'all rather give up Frank than a top 10 protected 2021 first? In that situation you could offload Wes to another team for a fake second so the Wizards could make it work with roster spots.
    Welcome to be here

Basketball Guru
    these Washington trades are giving up randall who AD recruited to play the 5....taking back a center who gentry probably wont play and leaving us short at the 4 with AD,,niko and okafor as our bigs....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    these Washington trades are giving up randall who AD recruited to play the 5....taking back a center who gentry probably wont play and leaving us short at the 4 with AD,,niko and okafor as our bigs....
    Dude, save your breath, these geniuses don't seem able to comprehend that AD don't want to play the 5, or that if we send Randall he will be, shall we say annoyed.

AD is playing the 5 now. Randle ain't going up against any of the big guys. He also did it the entire time after Cousins went down with Niko. He was happy to do it while Winning last year.

I agree with not taking back Mahinmi. Washington can deal with that on their own or they can keep Beal and end up with a pick in the 7-10 range instead of a top 5 pick and pay the luxury tax.

But Beal is a better fit next to Jrue and AD than Randle is. Randle is ball dominant and can't score outside of 10ft. AD and Jrue are like top 5 in the league at getting points in the paint. Just look at how AD dominated in the post against Dallas. They need someone who can spread the floor. Randle makes it easy to defend us as the game goes on. We literally have to win games on the offensive boards.

Beal is a superior scorer to Randle and can stretch the floor. He would relieve stress on Jrue from the perimeter because he can create for others as well.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    AD is playing the 5 now. Randle ain't going up against any of the big guys. He also did it the entire time after Cousins went down with Niko. He was happy to do it while Winning last year.

do you think AD will the starting 5 in LA?...or will he be the starting 4?....he will be winning in LA also with lebron but will the coach force him to play the 5 like gentry does?..

Basketball Guru
    I agree with not taking back Mahinmi. Washington can deal with that on their own or they can keep Beal and end up with a pick in the 7-10 range instead of a top 5 pick and pay the luxury tax.

But Beal is a better fit next to Jrue and AD than Randle is. Randle is ball dominant and can't score outside of 10ft. AD and Jrue are like top 5 in the league at getting points in the paint. Just look at how AD dominated in the post against Dallas. They need someone who can spread the floor. Randle makes it easy to defend us as the game goes on. We literally have to win games on the offensive boards.

Beal is a superior scorer to Randle and can stretch the floor. He would relieve stress on Jrue from the perimeter because he can create for others as well.

i hear what you are saying but if you play niko with randall then you will have the spacing for randall to go one on one in the paint....we are playing randall with AD and missing niko and as a group they are good together...

this season i want to trade hill,,diallo,,clark,,johnson,,frazier,, for a playable PG and a SF/SG....maybe frank if he can bring someone that can produce......or niko for harrison barnes...

this team is good and can compete with majority of the league when healthy so im holding out hope that we can make a good trade for a couple of players that can contribute and get healthy soon so we can make our run and upset teams in the playoffs....

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Are you forgetting AD's comment in the beginning of the year when he said that he saw where Randall had lost weight and said with a sigh "I guess I have to play the 5 again". Not to mention how passive he becomes against most other bigs. You can say he was happy just because he was winning last year. I say he tolerated it. Big difference!!!

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Are you forgetting AD's comment in the beginning of the year when he said that he saw where Randall had lost weight and said with a sigh "I guess I have to play the 5 again". Not to mention how passive he becomes against most other bigs. You can say he was happy just because he was winning last year. I say he tolerated it. Big difference!!!
    We know he doesn’t want to play the 5 but a few things. 1 - the only 5 we have is Okafor, 2 - he may not like it but he is really good at it, and 3 - It lets him help defend in the paint which is what he’s great at. As far as I’m concerned call Davis a PF and in today’s basketball it’s moving to position less.

A question. Do you think him wanting to be classified as a PF is because if he does really well he could be the greatest PF? At center it’d be hard to beat wilt and Russell. At PF he has to beat Duncan and Malone.

The Franchise
    Another point on Beal. If we did trade for him and didn’t do well we could do a full rebuild by trading him. He could still return at least 2 picks we’d have to give up because his contract has 2 years left.

People saying we have a great offense are crazy. Yes we score points but that I think is because of pace not from great shooting. We have 2 three point shooters (Moore and Niko) and they are both spot up shooters. Beal can at least create his own and isn’t afraid of the moment.

I’d try to trade Moore and some scraps but if they said Randle has to be included then later dude. What we could get back for him far outweighs keeping Randle who will opt out and we could lose him for nothing.

We know he doesn’t want to play the 5 but a few things. 1 - the only 5 we have is Okafor, 2 - he may not like it but he is really good at it, and 3 - It lets him help defend in the paint which is what he’s great at. As far as I’m concerned call Davis a PF and in today’s basketball it’s moving to position less.

A question. Do you think him wanting to be classified as a PF is because if he does really well he could be the greatest PF? At center it’d be hard to beat wilt and Russell. At PF he has to beat Duncan and Malone.
    I agree completely with all 3 points, however he still protected the paint with great efficiency when we had DMC, ASIK and others here. Also agree that today's game is somewhat position-less. NO ONE, not you, me or even Mythrol can really know what is in AD's mind and thoughts, we can only make assumptions based on his words and actions. But to answer your question, I think he wants to actually be more of a three like LBJ and Durant

Another point on Beal. If we did trade for him and didn’t do well we could do a full rebuild by trading him. He could still return at least 2 picks we’d have to give up because his contract has 2 years left.

People saying we have a great offense are crazy. Yes we score points but that I think is because of pace not from great shooting. We have 2 three point shooters (Moore and Niko) and they are both spot up shooters. Beal can at least create his own and isn’t afraid of the moment.

I’d try to trade Moore and some scraps but if they said Randle has to be included then later dude. What we could get back for him far outweighs keeping Randle who will opt out and we could lose him for nothing.
    This plan works for you, so be it. I just think retaining usable pieces and getting help where needed now is, with a clean slate come supermax time, the better route. POST 33 THIS THREAD

If Washington doesnt want to move Beal, we could also work another route with them and get them out the tax for Porter:

Pels recieve: Porter, Satoransky, Rodney Hood
    Wiz recieve: JR Smith, Wes Johnson
    Cavs recieve: Soloman Hill, Etwaun Moore, 2019 Pels Lottery protected 1st

I think right now the main goal for Washington will be getting out of the tax, and they wont dump their 1st to get out of Mahinmi's deal, so something like this gets them out the tax, saves them around 24 million next year (to absorb Walls increase and Re-sign Ariza)

Basketball Guru

this is all good with you and some others....when you hear it straight from the horse mouth then you need to listen and adjust your roster or get a coach who run a different style of system and not force someone to play where they told you they dont want to be....

this is all good with you and some others....when you hear it straight from the horse mouth then you need to listen and adjust your roster or get a coach who run a different style of system and not force someone to play where they told you they dont want to be....
    To be fair, when both Randle and Mirotic were available and injury free Davis didn't guard the bruising C's.

If Washington doesnt want to move Beal, we could also work another route with them and get them out the tax for Porter:

Pels recieve: Porter, Satoransky, Rodney Hood
    Wiz recieve: JR Smith, Wes Johnson
    Cavs recieve: Soloman Hill, Etwaun Moore, 2019 Pels Lottery protected 1st

I think right now the main goal for Washington will be getting out of the tax, and they wont dump their 1st to get out of Mahinmi's deal, so something like this gets them out the tax, saves them around 24 million next year (to absorb Walls increase and Re-sign Ariza)
    Why are you concerned with them being in the tax? Are you capable of making a Pel's favored trade suggestion? I think NOT.

Here is one: Solo and 1st for Ariza. Done.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 12-31-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Why are you concerned with them being in the tax? Are you capable of making a Pel's favored trade suggestion? I think NOT.

Because that is a huge incentive for Washington to do a trade. As far as trading Solo and a 1st for Ariza? Pass. A half a season of Ariza is not worth a 1st and he is not the player that will magically get AD to re-sign.

Well, Washington will be looking to get out of that tax, so that's their highest incentive to move someone, and a reason they would probably take a little less to do it..

I believe dumping Hill, Johnson and sending out Moore, and bringing in Porter, Satoransky and Hood is highly favored to the Pels, and only costs us a 1st round pick..

Next season we would have bird rights for both Hood and Satoransky, so we could keep them together for awhile for around the cost of Moore.. Another Pels advantage is it saves our MLE to use on another player (like a Marcus Morris, Robin Lopez etc), or even use it to bring back Payton if he gets a big offer... With that trade we could go into next season with:

Payton/Satoransky/Frazier
    Jrue/Hood/Frank
    Porter/Miller (Hood also plays the 3)
    AD/Niko
    Randle/Okafor

I'm going to throw realistic deals out there, not dump Hill for a 1/4 year rental of a guy that didnt want to be here before

The Franchise

This is a short sighted move to me. Not horrible but trading a guy that most likely leaves after this year, no thanks. If it was a rental for a bigger/younger name with a chance to bring him back then maybe (like butler or George). Too many teams are gonna have a lot of money this year and we’re gonna have to overpay to get anyone to come or stay. I’d rather trade a little more for a guy on a longer contract Plus I’m trying to keep Davis. I want players that can fit any system just in case Davis does ask to leave because if he does leave I’d clean house and start over with Jrue and who we trade for.

Question, if we keep Randle and trade Davis or not this summer, how much do you think Randle will ask to get paid? You can ask the same of Mirotic. If Davis leaves, randles gonna want major money and even if Davis stays he’s gonna want more than we can give.

Thread Information