Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: December 16th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Miami Heat - 15-15

Pelicans December 16th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Miami Heat - 15-15

After the first time in basically a month where the Pels have had more than one night off between games, they are back tonight against the 12-16 Miami Heat. And big news! Our defense is no longer the 24th in the league. After a few decent defensive improvements recently culminating in the big win over OKC, our defense is now ranked 23rd! Okay, I know, not much, but small steps here guys.

Let's take a look at the Heat, since it's been a little while since we played them:

Offensive Rating: 25th
    Defensive Rating: 11th
    Rebounds per game: 15th
    Assists per game: 23rd
    Steals per game: 20th
    Blocks per game: 2nd
    2pt percentage: 30th
    3pt percentage: 7th

Well, they're still not good, and their record reflects that. Their offense is worse than our defense, they don't rack up the assists, they don't get many steals, they aren't a great rebounding team, and they can't score inside the arc. They can, however, shoot threes at a pretty strong clip, so tonight will be a test of our perimeter defense: will it stay from the OKC game, or will we regress?

Further in our favour, Miami is injury riddled: Dragic and Waiters are still out, D Wade is listed as questionable, and Tyler Johnson is listed as probable.

Their threats haven't really changed otherwise: it's still Josh Richardson leading them in scoring, shooting basically 40% from the floor and from three to give them 18.5 points a night, Whiteside is still averaging 13/13 for them and tearing down offensive boards, and D Wade (if he plays) has still got the juice, even if he has no knees.

Meanwhile, we might get Moore back. Niko is listed as doubtful, but Moore is listed only as questionable, and since he was only out for minor strain and we've had three days off, he'll probably end up on the court. That would be huge: as much as the key guys did everything they needed to against OKC, we could have definitely done with a little more help off the bench. Jackson was great, and Miller was pretty good too, but with Diallo almost unplayable at times, we were running what was essentially a 7 man rotation. Need a little help with that tonight.

If we can play like we did against OKC against Miami, we should be sending Wade off to retire with an L in his final career game against the Pelicans, and simultaneously pull ahead of .500 for the first time in weeks!

Let's go, #DoItBig
    Basketball.

someday the refs will be consistent in their calls on both ends..I can dream can't I

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The Heat are making some ridiculously lucky shots.

geezus get diallo out the game

Diallo is so goofy and clumsy. When is Niko coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    geezus get diallo out the game

OKAFOR has to be better

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Getting torched on the offensive glass.

Guys are just watching the Heat go for the loose balls...SMH.

AD could have dunked that

Love to know where the Pels sit on the fastbreak.
    Have to be bottom 5.

Lucky *****

Once again the Heat are hitting some stupid lucky shots.

Solo not looking horrible, But Diallo is lost.

Please Dell, get AD some help

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Please Dell, get AD some help
    John Wall.

40 Points, 14 assists and 6 rebounds against the Lakers.

I love how, despite how bad we've looked so far, we're only down 6 at the half. Jrue is only 3 of 9 from the floor, and you can expect that to change. Hill is playing pretty well, which is good to see carrying over from the OKC game. The real issue here is the bench, which has only contributed 10 points from 5 different players: hopefully Moore and Miller can hit some shots in the second half and start giving some support tothe starters.

Also, 5x5 warning for AD: He has 18/6/3/3/3 after the first 18 minutes of the game. Could easily see him finishing with something like 35/13/7/5/5

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    John Wall.

He's been bad all year, and was bad last year too. Don't be a slave to the moment: he's had something like 3 good games in a row, that doesn't erase the last 18+ months of him being subpar game after game.

I love getting outscored 8-0 over the first 3 minutes of a quarter, it's really fun.

Getting blown out by Miami again. Nice

The Heat are just a bad matchup for the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    John Wall.

Agreed

David Wesley saying that maybe the slow starts here are due to coming off a three day layoff.

Sure, but when we were getting off to slow starts two weeks ago, it was cause we had no time to rest because the games were coming back to back to back to back.

So when we get no time off, we start slow because we're overworked. When we get time off, we start slow because we had too much time off. So I guess we can't win.

Good scoring run to get it back to a manageable deficit.

This still feels gettable

Love that hustle on the play after Randle got the steal. Randle diving for the ball, serious passing, then Randle gets the offensive board and dunks it. Great effort, that's what we need.

Thread Information