Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: December 10th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Boston Celtics - 14-14

Pelicans December 10th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Boston Celtics - 14-14

Yesterday, we smashed the Detroit Pistons on the road, behind a 37 point performance from Jrue ''First Team All Defense'' Holiday, and a double double from Randle. AD went out with a legitimate injury, and even though he came back, he didn't look like himself; looked nothing like how he looked even last game. He's questionable to play for tonight, but given that he played extended minutes after coming back last night, hopefully he'll be ready to go.

However, for the first time in a while, we should be good even if he doesn't play because even though the Celtics are 15-10 and on a 5 game winning streak, the injuries are on our side for once! Kyrie Irving and Aron Baynes are out, Gordon Hayward and Al Horford are questionable, and Boston is calling up two of their G Leaguers to fill gaps. Even without AD, we should be able to finish off a Celtics team that's missing Irving, Baynes, Horford, and Hayward, right?

I'm not going to list the Celtics stats because with half their team out, those stats are not representative of the team we'll be playing. Instead, I'll focus on us.

Right now we stand at:

Offensive Rating: 3rd
    Defensive Rating: 24th
    Rebounds per game: 1st
    Assists per game: 1st
    Steals per game: 16th
    Blocks per game: 3rd
    2pt percentage: 6th
    3pt percentage: 16th

Surprisingly, we look... really good, with one major exception. That defensive rating is trash. The only teams in the league worse on the defensive end are Houston, Phoenix, Washington, the Spurs, the Knicks, and the Cavs. One thing you might realize looking at those teams is that they've almost all stunk, and the two decent teams there (Spurs and Houston) have stunk intermittently, occasionally coming back to look good. Our offensive stats are great, we pass the ball really well (although we make the 4th most turnovers in the league), we rebound well, we get blocks and we're efficient inside the arc. Although we don't shoot the lights out from deep, 16th makes us pretty close to league average, and obviously 16th is pretty decent in steals too.

If our defense right now was ranked somewhere in the middle of the league, maybe 16th as well or thereabouts, we would be 17-11 or something like that. The vast majority of our team, despite the masses of turnovers, the lack of a real lead guard, the injuries that have forced us into playing more than 10 different starting lineups, we are still a strong team in every category except one, and luckily, we've shown the ability off and on to be able to do that too. If our guys can just nail down the defense consistently, even to a mediocre standard, we can look forward to climbing up the rankings in the West pretty quickly.

That is, obviously, a lot easier said than done, and playing against a depleted Celtics team would be a great way to try and set a rhythm. We don't need to hold Kyrie Irving down tonight, we don't need to focus on stopping Baynes getting a billion putbacks, and we might not have to deal with Horford or Hayward either. If we can set a defensive tone playing against a team fielding Jason Taytum and Terry Rozier as its start players, then hopefully that can continue on long after tonight. Only have a few weeks until new year, and we need to be approaching a solid identity by then.

Let's go out there and #DoItBig on the road to pull above .500!
    Basketball.

I appreciate your write ups. I know how much time it takes to do these. Well done!

Me too. Aussies take it to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Me too. Aussies take it to another level.
    I'm from England, but still, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I appreciate your write ups. I know how much time it takes to do these. Well done!
    Thank you, I find it always helps me get a good focus on what I need to pay attention to in any game. If I don't do a little research and a write up, sometimes I can find it difficult to know exactly what specifics I should be paying attention to in-game.

Moore Out.
    AD playing.

Horford, Hayward are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    How do stay up so late to watch games?
    Isn't it like 12am there?

yeah nice job mate. Also, confirmed lineups:

New Orleans
    PG: Frazier
    SG: Holiday
    SF: Hill
    PF: Randle
    C: Davis

Boston
    PG: Rozier
    SG: Smart
    SF: Tatum
    PF: Morris
    C: Theis

Yesterday, we smashed the Detroit Pistons on the road, behind a 37 point performance from Jrue ''First Team All Defense'' Holiday, and a double double from Randle. AD went out with a legitimate injury, and even though he came back, he didn't look like himself; looked nothing like how he looked even last game. He's questionable to play for tonight, but given that he played extended minutes after coming back last night, hopefully he'll be ready to go.

However, for the first time in a while, we should be good even if he doesn't play because even though the Celtics are 15-10 and on a 5 game winning streak, the injuries are on our side for once! Kyrie Irving and Aron Baynes are out, Gordon Hayward and Al Horford are questionable, and Boston is calling up two of their G Leaguers to fill gaps. Even without AD, we should be able to finish off a Celtics team that's missing Irving, Baynes, Horford, and Hayward, right?

I'm not going to list the Celtics stats because with half their team out, those stats are not representative of the team we'll be playing. Instead, I'll focus on us.

Right now we stand at:

Offensive Rating: 3rd
    Defensive Rating: 24th
    Rebounds per game: 1st
    Assists per game: 1st
    Steals per game: 16th
    Blocks per game: 3rd
    2pt percentage: 6th
    3pt percentage: 16th

Surprisingly, we look... really good, with one major exception. That defensive rating is trash. The only teams in the league worse on the defensive end are Houston, Phoenix, Washington, the Spurs, the Knicks, and the Cavs. One thing you might realize looking at those teams is that they've almost all stunk, and the two decent teams there (Spurs and Houston) have stunk intermittently, occasionally coming back to look good. Our offensive stats are great, we pass the ball really well (although we make the 4th most turnovers in the league), we rebound well, we get blocks and we're efficient inside the arc. Although we don't shoot the lights out from deep, 16th makes us pretty close to league average, and obviously 16th is pretty decent in steals too.

If our defense right now was ranked somewhere in the middle of the league, maybe 16th as well or thereabouts, we would be 17-11 or something like that. The vast majority of our team, despite the masses of turnovers, the lack of a real lead guard, the injuries that have forced us into playing more than 10 different starting lineups, we are still a strong team in every category except one, and luckily, we've shown the ability off and on to be able to do that too. If our guys can just nail down the defense consistently, even to a mediocre standard, we can look forward to climbing up the rankings in the West pretty quickly.

That is, obviously, a lot easier said than done, and playing against a depleted Celtics team would be a great way to try and set a rhythm. We don't need to hold Kyrie Irving down tonight, we don't need to focus on stopping Baynes getting a billion putbacks, and we might not have to deal with Horford or Hayward either. If we can set a defensive tone playing against a team fielding Jason Taytum and Terry Rozier as its start players, then hopefully that can continue on long after tonight. Only have a few weeks until new year, and we need to be approaching a solid identity by then.

Let's go out there and #DoItBig on the road to pull above .500!
    Where do you get your data?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    How do stay up so late to watch games?
    Isn't it like 12am there?
    Tonight's game starts at 1am here, that's pretty average for a Pels game. Sometimes they start as late as 3:30am, and very, very rarely, as early as 8:30pm (like yesterday). I always have to check the date when I make the game threads because whilst this game happens on December 10th local time, it's actually already the 11th here, and I always have to make sure I'm putting the right day.

I've never really slept much anyway, and right now I'm not working and am at university full time, so my actual timetable is pretty easy to work around. Usually when a game finishes, it's around 4am, and then I study for a while and go catch the train to go to class.

Where do you get your data?
    Basketball Reference

Tonight's game starts at 1am here, that's pretty average for a Pels game. Sometimes they start as late as 3:30am, and very, very rarely, as early as 8:30pm (like yesterday). I always have to check the date when I make the game threads because whilst this game happens on December 10th local time, it's actually already the 11th here, and I always have to make sure I'm putting the right day.

I've never really slept much anyway, and right now I'm not working and am at university full time, so my actual timetable is pretty easy to work around. Usually when a game finishes, it's around 4am, and then I study for a while and go catch the train to go to class.

Basketball Reference
    So when do you sleep?
    Study and sleep dude, it's more important than the Pelicans. You can catch a replay.

So when do you sleep?
    Study and sleep dude, it's more important than the Pelicans. You can catch a replay.
    I sleep around my classes, don't worry I definitely get enough sleep, and I keep up with my studies. Pels aren't my number one priority, even though I love the team.

Hahaha sorry man I thought you were from the down under mafia

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Hahaha sorry man I thought you were from the down under mafia
    That's cool, I guess there's still a Commonwealth connection

Pretty good balanced scoring so far, disheartening to see that we're being outscored though, despite us obviously having the better lineup.

Celtics getting away with holding and grabbing? Must be a day that ends in Y.

They have the advantage in the paint so they shoot jump shots.

That's twice now that AD has got a tip out and absolutely no Pels have been within 20 feet to try and get it.

Celtics literally just walking out of bounds with the ball and no call. Just totally carte blanche from the refs.

I'm sorry, we suck on defense, but we don't suck that bad. 3 fouls in 61 seconds called by the refs. That's just absurd. Awful officiating.

Mirotic's defense has developed into Ryan Anderson.

Basketball Guru
    we are giving up too many rim shots...we need a rim protector bad....

According to the refs, we're the Bad Boy Pistons, just smashing the Celtics around. Better call some more fouls to teach us a lesson.

Great foul in the bonus with 9 mins

randle in the lane, why are the other pels sagging into the paint and allowing their defenders to clog it up?

Thread Information