Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: December 2nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Charlotte Hornets - 11-12

Pelicans December 2nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Charlotte Hornets - 11-12

Under .500 again, this time trying to get level against Charlotte. So, what's the task, who's the opposition, what do we need to do?

Opponent's Stats
    Offensive Rating: 6th
    Defensive Rating: 13th
    Rebounds per game: 23rd
    Assists per game: 15th
    Steals per game: 19th
    Blocks per game: 16th
    2pt percentage: 13th
    3pt percentage: 8th
    Turnovers: First in the league with only 12 per game

That doesn't tell us too much. They have an 11-11 record, and are roughly middle of the pack in almost all statistics. They have a good offensive rating, and a lot of that comes from their above average three point shooting, but they aren't particularly exceptional at anything else. They aren't good at rebounding at all, either offensive or defensive. In one way, that should be a good thing: they don't have any specific thing they do to kill us. On the other hand, it makes game planning somewhat more difficult: they don't have any overwhelming tendencies or traits to plan against.

Well, aside from one thing. They do everything through Kemba Walker. It's always been true to say that he's been the driving force of their offense. This season, he just IS their offense. Averaging a career high 27 points per game, and a combined usage and assist percentage of basically 61%, Kemba is everything to their system. He is 2 thirds of all of their scoring when he's on the court, either directly or by setting up the play. Which means that if Jrue can do to him what he's been able to do to Russell Westbrook, Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Lowry, and others, the Charlotte offense could be significantly downgraded tonight.

Similarly, Charlotte don't defend the paint particularly well. Only 16th in blocks, opponents shoot 54% from two point range against Charlotte, and they don't really have any serious rim protectors. MKG is their leading shot blocker, and he gets around 20 minutes per game. He's also their leading rebounder, averaging a little under 6 a game.

What should this mean? Simple.

1) Please for the love of God take care of the turnovers.
    2) Rebound, hard. They have nobody that you can expect to really put up monster figures, and we should be able to get offense boards all night.
    3) Attack the paint. They don't have a bevy of rim protectors or an incredibly robust defense, so go inside.
    4) No settling. With Moore out, we've lost a big three point threat. That doesn't mean AD has to try and make up for it beyond the arc or anything.
    5) Defensive consistency. I don't want to see us down by 15 after the first quarter. Charlotte averages 27 points in first quarters. Hold them to that.

If we can do that, then we should be able to win this, even on the road. Let's get our game together and #DoItBig
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Gentry three weeks ago: "Alright guys. We had an awful first quarter. Down double digits. Insanely bad. Then we fought back and took the lead in the fourth. Two and a half quarters of come back work. But then we barely lost in the end. I hate that we didn't complete that come back. So we will let every team get like a 20 point lead on us in the 1st until we are able to complete a come back."
    Change my mind.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Change my mind.

you got what you call for lol...

I hope we can some how some way land kemba at the trade deadline

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Well look at us.

MUCH better start here so far.

Kemba looks hurt.

Ad seriously need to work on his D bc he is looking bad on that end

AD is hot early, has 15/4 in this first quarter so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Ad seriously need to work on his D bc he is looking bad on that end

Easier said than done when you're the only one scoring. The rest of the team is shooting something like 30% from the field. Without AD going off offensively here, this is Miami 2.0

Can we not do those bloody full court passes? Turnover 99 times out of 100

Okay, I bag on Solo as much as anyone, but he did not foul Parker there. Total ref save on a pathetic shot from TP9.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Easier said than done when you're the only one scoring. The rest of the team is shooting something like 30% from the field. Without AD going off offensively here, this is Miami 2.0
    Are you watching him? He looks like he doesn't knw who he's guarding he's just walking on that end.

Watching the young Hornets makes me wish Demps never traded some of our 1st round picks. This team lacks so much quality depth in the backcourt and wing positions.

End of the first, we are down...

ONLY ONE! ONLY. ONE. HOORAH!

Are you watching him? He looks like he doesn't knw who he's guarding he's just walking on that end.

Yeah, I'm watching the game. Which is why I can see that while his defense has only been on 25%, his offense has been on 150% because he has 17 of our 29 first quarter points and without him we're currently in a hole as big as in Miami because nobody else could hit a shot to save their lives (Jrue 1 for 4, Mirotic 1 for 3, Randle 0 for 4)

Miller hit a shot! Seems like forever, glad to see it go in. Need more bench help.

End of the first, we are down...

ONLY ONE! ONLY. ONE. HOORAH!
    So that means we are up by nineteen.

Yeah, I'm watching the game. Which is why I can see that while his defense has only been on 25%, his offense has been on 150% because he has 17 of our 29 first quarter points and without him we're currently in a hole as big as in Miami because nobody else could hit a shot to save their lives (Jrue 1 for 4, Mirotic 1 for 3, Randle 0 for 4)
    What exactly does any of that have to do with playing harden level defense? Yeah he's playing great on on except for tht long pass but he's also giving up points on the other end not boxing out. It's a little frustrating to watch when you know how good he is on defense just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    So that means we are up by nineteen.
    Basically.

What exactly does any of that have to do with playing harden level defense? Yeah he's playing great on on except for tht long pass but he's also giving up points on the other end not boxing out. It's a little frustrating to watch when you know how good he is on defense just saying

Yeah, it's just I know there's only so much energy you can give, and if you're being asked to do everything on one end, it almost always means less effort on the other end.

For proof of that, see: the last four years of Lebron's career.

Yeah, it's just I know there's only so much energy you can give, and if you're being asked to do everything on one end, it almost always means less effort on the other end.

No I get that but we've seen him be the only scoring option and still play insane defense like okay I'd get it if it was just this game but he's not been playing great defense alot of the year

We have a lead in the first half. Incredible.

No I get that but we've seen him be the only scoring option and still play insane defense like okay I'd get it if it was just this game but he's not been playing great defense alot of the year

You're right on that. His defense has been very inconsistent, and I would like to see his defense a little more regular this year. No disagreement there. Just disagreeing in the case of this specific first quarter.

Maaaan miller looking good out there he needs to be more aggressive he's not bad when he is

Thread Information