Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: November 30th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Miami Heat - 11-11

Moore not looking happy.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Was playing so well. Damn it.

#Pelslife

Hopefully it's just a minor injury.

How do you give Wade a wide open layup there?

Double #Pelslife

So we settle for the three when we didn't need it.

Then give them the FULL shot clock with a foul to give.

And give up the layup.

#Pelslife.

AD needed to grab the rebound there .

Team showed some toughness coming back but still another road loss
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Pelicans don't deserve to win this game

This is what annoys me so much: we have won the second, third, and fourth quarters. The ONLY time when we were beaten was in the first.

It's not that we've been consistently the worse team. It's that when we were the worse team, we were SO MUCH worse that we got outscored by 20.

You can’t go down by 31 points and expect to win a NBA game.

This a veteran team . It’s stunning how bad we start games

Another bad and disappointing loss. #Pelslife

We didn't even need to WIN the first quarter for this to end up a win. We just needed to lose it by something like 10 points. Losing a quarter by 10 is still awful. We just needed to be regular awful in the first, instead of astonishingly awful.

Heartbreaker is right, Joel.

Moore goes down and the rotation is (von) wafer thin

Not good enough. Have to beat these teams

Good comeback effort, but it's still another road loss to a sub .500 team--a sub .500 team missing two of its top players. I'm not here to jump on any one player or coach, but obviously this is a very inconsistent team at the moment playing beneath its potential. We've gone through stretches like this in the past during the Gentry era and we have rebounded and played much better. But while we're in these slumps it can be hard to see how we are going to get better or climb out.

I've written elsewhere that I think this team, starting but not ending with AD, just doesn't burn with a consistent desire to compete hard. They drift, they float along and then try to kick it into high gear. They can play hard. They just don't do it consistently enough to be a top-tier club. I think one reason Davis liked having Cousins on the team was that his natural intensity relieved AD of the burden of being the emotional engine for the team. He's just not built that way and there is no other player currently on the roster who can fill that role--no Draymond, no CP3 or KG who can't stand to lose and sparks the whole team to play hard all the time.

Not sure what the answer is or even if there is one. Sometimes that drive can come from the head coach, but Gentry isn't that guy either. It's possible we turn things around and go on a run. It's possible the return of Payton will make a critical difference. It's possible Demps may swing a big deal and change the composition of the roster. It's also possible that WYSIWYG and we've gone as far as we can go with Davis as the foundation and his inconsistent play during games and over stretches of games is just an early sign that it's time to move on while his value is high.

Funny that while Frazier only played 24 minutes, he was +12.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We didn't even need to WIN the first quarter for this to end up a win. We just needed to lose it by something like 10 points. Losing a quarter by 10 is still awful. We just needed to be regular awful in the first, instead of astonishingly awful.

Heartbreaker is right, Joel.
    We lost it by 20. If we had only lost it by 10 we'd have won the game. I don't know what it is about this team but it absolutely can't get it up before the game on most nights. It takes coming in lackadaisical getting punched in the mouth for an entire qtr then waking up for the game.

This has happened far too often. AD is showing more and more he simply isn't the alpha that is needed to keep his team ready. The team almost likes each other too much. Everyone is too laid back.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 12-01-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We lost it by 20. If we had only lost it by 10 we'd have won the game. I don't know what it is about this team but it absolutely can't get it up before the game on most nights. It takes coming in lackadaisical getting punched in the mouth for an entire qtr then waking up for the game.

This has happened far too often. AD is showing more and more he simply isn't the alpha that is needed to keep his team ready. The team almost likes each other too much. Everyone is too laid back.
    Yeah, that's what I said. We didn't even need to win it, just lose it by ten instead of 20; that is, being regular awful instead of astonishingly awful.

Honestly, I think we need three things (well, three realistic thing)

1) A real PG. Tim is doing admirably but he can't guard anyone still and he is not any threat to score still. I want Satoransky from Washington.
    2) Jrue needs to get that fire in his belly again. He had it last season, during the playoffs, and early this season, but he's been just as inconsistent as AD recently.
    3) AD needs to be more consistent. Last game he hit three jumpers in Whiteside's face early and then didn't take another until the second half. His first half was 13 points and 0 rebounds. His second was 29 points and 9 rebounds. He could have gone for 60 if he was consistently taking his shots. I don't know why he has 4 or 5 minute stretches on the floor without taking a shot: that didn't happen when Payton was on court.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, that's what I said. We didn't even need to win it, just lose it by ten instead of 20; that is, being regular awful instead of astonishingly awful.

Honestly, I think we need three things (well, three realistic thing)

1) A real PG. Tim is doing admirably but he can't guard anyone still and he is not any threat to score still. I want Satoransky from Washington.
    2) Jrue needs to get that fire in his belly again. He had it last season, during the playoffs, and early this season, but he's been just as inconsistent as AD recently.
    3) AD needs to be more consistent. Last game he hit three jumpers in Whiteside's face early and then didn't take another until the second half. His first half was 13 points and 0 rebounds. His second was 29 points and 9 rebounds. He could have gone for 60 if he was consistently taking his shots. I don't know why he has 4 or 5 minute stretches on the floor without taking a shot: that didn't happen when Payton was on court.
    Ah yes, rereading your post I see that now. My mistake.

What this team needs as a whole is fire in its belly. That starts with your superstar. AD is simply too laid back and everyone overlooks teams because he is.

This is one area that Gentry simply isn't the type of coach to be able to fix it. Nor do I think he necessarily should need to. This isn't some rookie team who needs a coach to keep them in line. AD should be the one that keeps the players engaged every game. He's the leader and supposedly the best player in the league.

This team is playing like a bunch of high school players who are at some homecoming game in a blowout. Everyone single person on this forum cares more than what anyone on that team has shown.

To be quite honest I'm pretty sick of the entire team right now. They've been talking about this same issue for a month, they themselves are a sub 500 team and they can't shake the "we are better than these loser teams" attitude.

AD is a huge freaking liar if he ever uses the "I wanna win so I'm leaving" BS excuse because of he wanted to win so bad he'd be out there every game and have the entire team ready to play.

Elfrid to me is fine as a cost controlled game manager. We're 4-1 with him and his skillset and abilities unlock a lot of what this team is designed to do.

What we honestly need is depth behind Elfrid and another star punch that has some fiery leadership. As others have echoed.

I honestly wanted to push ahead with a Jimmy Butler trade but unfortunately it would of cost us Jrue. But as of this moment Washington seems like the only true announced major seller in the market. And I am not sure how any of their best assets make a ton of sense for us from a fit and contender building perspective. With the exception of maybe Beal.

Don't get me wrong, I would gladly take a flyer on Wall or Porter if they didn't come with financial anchors and in Wall's case, fit issues, but those anchors all but guarantee acquiring either of them depletes our future flexibility. Unfortunately Kemba is probably having too much success to be realistically available, but he is probably an example of someone that strikes off most of that checklist.

Why are we all so keen on keeping Jrue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoseph View Post

I think he has grown into a top 5 all around SG in this league for one. Is playing like an all star.

But personally I have always been open to moving him. Heck, I'm on the cusp of being open to moving AD depending on how this season and inevitable roster change via trade works out in fixing the problems around AD. Though in terms of moving AD, it is on the condition it is not done by the current regime. It would be a farce to barrel ahead with the regime that may have failed the AD era and previously tried to mismanage the CP3 transition, by allowing them to lead the post-AD era.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-01-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoseph View Post

Probably cause he's one of the best defensive players in the league, can guard three positions without too much issue, is basically 20ppg with some of the most elite finishing in the league, and despite the turnover issues, he's also capable of dropping 10 dimes in any game. Top five 2 way players don't fall out of the sky, and when they do, they usually aren't willing to sign long term contracts for teams like us.

Again, making it clear: I'm not calling for any big trades, I don't think we need to trade Jrue or AD, I'm not panicking. It's December first. But the change has to come soon: my cutoff date is January 7th. I pick that date because it's in January, and it's basically one full week in so Payton should be a handful of games back. If we aren't back at an above .500 pace by then, I think it's fair to start having serious, serious concerns.

Thread Information