Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: November 30th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Miami Heat - 11-11

Pelicans November 30th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Miami Heat - 11-11

On the road again! This time, in Miami, where there are beaches, palm trees, and for the last year of his career, Dwyane Wade! With a 7-13 record, the Heat aren't looking too hot, and have lost 5 of their last six, and haven't won a home game since November 7th.

So, what's the team evaluation?

Offensive Rating: 25th
    Defensive Rating: 13th
    Rebounds per game: 17th
    Assists per game: 24th
    Steals per game: 23rd
    Blocks per game: 5th
    2pt percentage: 29th
    3pt percentage: 10th

The numbers are fairly clear then: this is a pretty good defensive team, that's top tier at defending at the rim, but doesn't force a ton of turnovers and doesn't feature a particularly dynamic offense. They rebound pretty well, but aren't elite at it, and they can't score particularly well inside, being more reliable from behind the arc.

Miami's key players this season are pretty clear: Josh Richardson is their leading scorer, averaging a little over 20 points a game, but his net rating is +0 overall and he only shoots 43% from the floor. Being only 2 inches taller than Jrue, this should be a matchup where Jrue can really put the lockdown on a leading scorer, as long as he's not forced to do too much playmaking.

After that, Hassan Whiteside has apparently returned from wherever he went during last year's playoffs and is averaging 13pts and 14rbs a game, and is one of only two players in the league averaging more blocks per game than AD, with 2.9 per contest. Shooting only 51% from the FT line is a problem for them though, and it shows as Whiteside is barely getting 27 minutes per game: he shouldn't be too much a threat at the end of the game as long as we can play hack-a-Whiteside, and should open up the paint for our own offensive rebounds.

Finally, it's old man Wade. Still averaging 15/4/3 at the age of 36 and shooting a career high 39% from 3, Wade is still dangerous. Unfortunately for him though, his ability to defend has largely gone with his knees, and his net rating of -8 reflects that: he can still be dangerous, but he can also be exploited on defense by bigger and faster guards. That's where someone like Jrue could really cause some damage, and E'twaun can too.

Goran Dragic is also noteworthy, but he didn't play last game and I'm not certain if he will this game.

Reflecting on that, their major players and their team tendencies, it's pretty clear what we need to do: get Whiteside in foul trouble, hack him if necessary to get him off the court in crunch time (if it comes down to crunch time), defend the perimeter well but rely on our rim protector and help defense on the inside, out-rebound the team especially when Whiteside is off the floor, and exploit old man Wade on defense. This could be a big game for Jrue.

We need this road win; we're still great at home, but you can't make the playoffs in the west without being at least acceptable on the road. Let's fix that tonight! #DoItBig
    Basketball.

No Dragic

Feeling pretty optimistic. It's hard to really gauge basketball this year with so much scoring. I'm just waiting for January when the teams are going into full gear.

Joel in the intros just called Wade a ''4x allstar''

I think you mean 12x allstar.

Wow that is a bold suit from Spoelstra

Whiteside is a big body for AD to guard down low anyway, but when the refs just allow him to walk and use the off arm to push, there's no chance.

Our defence is So weak and soft. Man ow Man

Whiteside just got space under the basket by elbowing AD in the face no call.

AD can hit from 10 feet and out all night. Whiteside cannot guard distance.

Same ********** ****** ref

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Luke do they not practice passes or are our guys just idiots

We are TERRIBLE on the road. This is depressing to watch.

Jesus Miller

I don't mind the turnover too much where AD is driving and gets it stolen. That sucks, but you understand that when you move to the basket fighting through the defense it might happen. You accept that.

You hate the turnover where Darius Miller just throws the ball half-heartedly rather than passing with purpose and gets it taken.

Apparently the Heat have fouled only one (1) time this quarter. Watching the game, I wouldn't believe it, but the refs say it's true.

Another big hole in first quarter. Jesus Christ

Eating dirt in yet another first quarter.

6 turnovers.

0 three pointers made.

This team is all kinds of wrong

This is beyond any comments. We have no defence, no heart and tone off turnovers. 20-4 for Heat. Pathetic!

Turn on game.....

..........how?

Down 19 after the first.

Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Turn on game.....

..........how?
    Heat apparently cannot foul, at all, according to the refs.

Every foul we make is getting called.

Also, turnovers. So many turnovers. Every game. Back again tonight. It's like our players have some kind of abject hatred for possessing the ball.

I'd put in the entire bench, this is sinful.

Lol hopefully we lose by 50 then maybe something will be done

Thread Information