Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anthony Davis wants trade with FOUR teams on list

If AD doesn't care about being the highest paid player ever and wants to win, fine, let him go the Durant route.

The only thing is make sure and trade him for a butt load of assets. By the time Durant left that team had been to the Finals and was a contender.

If we lose AD we are losing 2 playoff appearances in what 8 years? Yes he is an amazing player and maybe he goes on to win a ton of rings but he's basically Garnett for us so far. Great but underachieving.

I promise you this though, we aren't losing because of not having a wing. We are losing because we don't have a PG to run the offense. If I'm Dell I sell the farm for Kemba, not Barnes. Jrue needs to spend 90% of his time off ball.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If AD doesn't care about being the highest paid player ever and wants to win, fine, let him go the Durant route.

The only thing is make sure and trade him for a butt load of assets. By the time Durant left that team had been to the Finals and was a contender.

If we lose AD we are losing 2 playoff appearances in what 8 years? Yes he is an amazing player and maybe he goes on to win a ton of rings but he's basically Garnett for us so far. Great but underachieving.

I promise you this though, we aren't losing because of not having a wing. We are losing because we don't have a PG to run the offense. If I'm Dell I sell the farm for Kemba, not Barnes. Jrue needs to spend 90% of his time off ball.

gentry had nash and curry at PG and we all know what the offensive results were....GS have curry,livingston,,cook and green and all 4 run the point and make the offense go..curry and green are out and they have the depth at PG where the offense still run right....

gentry get here and the PG success that he had in his offenses in the past,,he or the GM didnt set this team up for that same outcome....we had rondo but jrue was the backup.....we have payton but jrue is the backup......we signed frazier as backup but he not working out.......there has to be one PG out here that we can get to step in and run the offense and play the backup role and the ship rolling.....jrue and frank should be off the ball to just focus on scoring on offense.......i hope last night open some eyes up in the front office...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    some of yall may be better off just cheering for the name on the front of the jersey....team go 10-72 im still a pelican fan....AD stay or leave,,im still a pelican fan...im happy if we are the 8th seed every year because we are in the playoffs and anything can happen.....im happy my city has a team that i can go to and enjoy.....yes, i get mad and vent sometimes but players coming and going dont stress me out at all because im all about the team....
    Facts. The only reason that I root for AD is because he's a Pelican. The minute he's in another jersey, I wish him no success. For me it's all about the city and the team. It's about the people that want to be here. If AD feels like he can't win here, he should look in the mirror because he should be elevating his and others games. That's what LBJ and Curry do. Nobody wants to compete. They all want to stack the deck and create super teams. The bs going on in Oakland is an anomaly. As long as I'm on a tangent, you can't be considered the greatest team of all time if you don't beat teams of equal caliber. GSW is the varsity team. Everyone else is JV. Lastly, if AD wants to leave beaucoup money on the table to go and play with somebody who's getting all of his money, more power to him. He should be asking dudes to take less money to play with him not vice versa.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Agree with you on this. I've said this in the past and got flamed to the depths of hell. If AD is your best player, you will never win a championship. He doesn't make his teammates better. He's phenomenal at what he does but it doesn't transfer to his teammates being successful. This team needs a Kemba/Lillard type of player to go with AD.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I disagree that you can't win with AD as your best player. Your 2nd best player needs to be someone who facilitates him and puts him in even better position.

Imagine Anthony Davis with Steve Nash or Chris Paul in their primes. I'd argue AD is the better player overall...but someone with such a complimentary skillset would make AD unstoppable. Because if you for a moment assume that the ball handler on the pick and roll isn't a threat, they burn you.

Jrue can almost do that. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I disagree that you can't win with AD as your best player. Your 2nd best player needs to be someone who facilitates him and puts him in even better position.

Imagine Anthony Davis with Steve Nash or Chris Paul in their primes. I'd argue AD is the better player overall...but someone with such a complimentary skillset would make AD unstoppable. Because if you for a moment assume that the ball handler on the pick and roll isn't a threat, they burn you.

Maybe I should have said most important idk. IMO, last year Rondo was the most important Pel

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Well if we want to test that theory we could certainly tie up 90 million of our cap in three players next year and bring in John Wall.

He is imminently gettable and still amongst the most elite passers in this league.

Though this does all bring up a larger question of what is exactly the ideal roster to build around AD?

To this day I am not sure I know?

I think the easy answer is one with a load of superstar talent, as that really overpowers any fit issues, but in terms of ideal archetypes? I'm curious peoples thoughts? Applying the "can it beat a healthy Warriors in a 7 game series test?"

There are a lot of combos that i think can be successful, as AD is a dynamic player in so many ways, but as to the most ideal? IDK.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Maybe I should have said most important idk. IMO, last year Rondo was the most important Pel
    and now this season it seems that payton is the most important player because its showing that he makes everyone better...

AD and Jrue are still 1 and 2 most important, I hope that goes without saying.

In terms of glue guys Payton may surprisingly be next, but take away Jrue's vast body of contributions and AD's superstar performances night in and night out and Payton is just Orlando Payton in a new uniform with a closer drive for family get togethers playing for a team competing with the Suns for the worst record in the league.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Well if we want to test that theory we could certainly tie up 90 million of our cap in three players next year and bring in John Wall.

He is imminently gettable and still amongst the most elite passers in this league.

Though this does all bring up a larger question of what is exactly the ideal roster to build around AD?

To this day I am not sure I know?

I think the easy answer is one with a load of superstar talent, as that really overpowers any fit issues, but in terms of ideal archetypes? I'm curious peoples thoughts? Applying the "can it beat a healthy Warriors in a 7 game series test?"

There are a lot of combos that i think can be successful, as AD is a dynamic player in so many ways, but as to the most ideal? IDK.

its been 6 years and we still dont know how to build a team around AD lol......right now i think we all know that a good real PG is a main piece to fit with AD.....

man, i want to see this starting lineup go up against GS because i believe we can take them out...payton,,jrue,,barnes,,AD,,randall......i used niko to trade for barnes..now if a barnes trade can be done without giving up niko then thats even better for us.....i just love the jrue,,barnes,,AD offense and defense at those positions...

Basketball Guru
    AD and Jrue are still 1 and 2 most important, I hope that goes without saying.

In terms of glue guys Payton may surprisingly be next, but take away Jrue's vast body of contributions and AD's superstar performances night in and night out and Payton is just Orlando Payton in a new uniform with a closer drive for family get togethers playing for a team competing with the Suns for the worst record in the league.

i should have said payton seem like the most important player in gentry system...imo frazier,,rondo and payton are a big part in jrue offensive game taking off under gentry because they took the load off of jrue to run the team so jrue can be selfish and just go score at will....they made jrue better on offense....they made AD better on offense by getting him the ball in the right spots...

so in a gentry offense it seems like the PG is the most important player...nash,,curry,,rondo,,,payton...they all ran the team and made the bigs better on offense and kept the flow of the offense going right.....

In this same vein, would Amare have been as productive in Phoenix without Nash? I would say probably not. You put a guy in a similar zip code as Nash with AD in terms of a PG and you truly would see AD as the best player in the world. But that's always been the caveat with dominant bigs, you still need someone else to get him the ball. But if you can get him someone that can not only get him the ball but do it in a way that sets the table for him and others, well then you get dominance. At this point I would be willing to do a trade for Wall or Kemba. Wall would likely be the better fit. Jrue, Wall and AD would be a nightmare to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    In this same vein, would Amare have been as productive in Phoenix without Nash? I would say probably not. You put a guy in a similar zip code as Nash with AD in terms of a PG and you truly would see AD as the best player in the world. But that's always been the caveat with dominant bigs, you still need someone else to get him the ball. But if you can get him someone that can not only get him the ball but do it in a way that sets the table for him and others, well then you get dominance. At this point I would be willing to do a trade for Wall or Kemba. Wall would likely be the better fit. Jrue, Wall and AD would be a nightmare to deal with.
    The team certainly has that option right now.

You could almost certainly trade Niko and Solo plus pieces for John Wall. Maybe even bring back Morris to round it off.

I'm not actually convinced that particular combination gets us over the hump though. Wall has a lot of great pieces most PG's would dream of having and the team is struggling worse than us. Beal is arguably a more natural fit than Jrue and Wall has plenty of weapons at his disposal. Maybe a change of scenery like what happened for Cousins is what is needed, but you commit to Wall and you are making a heck of a risky investment because if he flops that 40 million dollar contract makes Gordon, Asik's, and Solo's contracts look like organizational speed bumps to the black hole that would be that.

I'm actually more enamored with Kemba personally. You will get about the same defensive effort from either but Kemba can take over games and is a more cohesive fit next to Jrue IMO. With Wall and Jrue you get those issues of spacing that have plagued us last year and the added concern of Wall being a problem child.

The team certainly has that option right now.

You could almost certainly trade Niko and Solo plus pieces for John Wall. Maybe even bring back Morris to round it off.

I'm not actually convinced that particular combination gets us over the hump though. Wall has a lot of great pieces most PG's would dream of having and the team is struggling worse than us. Beal is arguably a more natural fit than Jrue and Wall has plenty of weapons at his disposal. Maybe a change of scenery like what happened for Cousins is what is needed, but you commit to Wall and you are making a heck of a risky investment because if he flops that 40 million dollar contract makes Gordon, Asik's, and Solo's contracts look like organizational speed bumps to the black hole that would be that.

I'm actually more enamored with Kemba personally. You will get about the same defensive effort from either but Kemba can take over games and is a more cohesive fit next to Jrue IMO. With Wall and Jrue you get those issues of spacing that have plagued us last year and the added concern of Wall being a problem child.
    I wouldn't mind Kemba either. I really think we are missing that third star. AD and Jrue are there, we need at least one more dominant guard that can facilitate but isn't a black hole i terms of spacing and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I wouldn't mind Kemba either. I really think we are missing that third star. AD and Jrue are there, we need at least one more dominant guard that can facilitate but isn't a black hole i terms of spacing and defense.
    Oh for sure we are missing that third star. 100% agreed.

Either that or you have to have a perfect complimentary roster(including great depth at every position) around Jrue/AD and I don't think we have any realistic pathway to achieving that.

We are at a place where either you put what chips you have to get another star and maybe move the tech chairs around and exchange a couple role-players for guys you hope improve the team through better synergy at positions of need.

Basketball Guru
    Oh for sure we are missing that third star. 100% agreed.

Either that or you have to have a perfect complimentary roster(including great depth at every position) around Jrue/AD and I don't think we have any realistic pathway to achieving that.

We are at a place where either you put what chips you have to get another star and maybe move the tech chairs around and exchange a couple role-players for guys you hope improve the team through better synergy at positions of need.

i know we dont have a star 3rd player but we do have a big 4 in jrue,,AD,randall and niko...those 4 gives us double doubles a night...moore has had multiple games of 30pts...payton can give us double doubles a night and he adds to rebounding...our top 6 players are solid on a healthy team and can give us about 100 a night....we need that 7-9 to put up points...

i agree we dont have the depth like toronto or a couple of other teams.... if we had a solid PG and 2 consistent SF that can score,,we would be 9 deep strong....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    some of yall may be better off just cheering for the name on the front of the jersey....team go 10-72 im still a pelican fan....AD stay or leave,,im still a pelican fan...im happy if we are the 8th seed every year because we are in the playoffs and anything can happen.....im happy my city has a team that i can go to and enjoy.....yes, i get mad and vent sometimes but players coming and going dont stress me out at all because im all about the team....
    Isn't this how its SUPPOSED to be? You support a TEAM, not a player. I want AD to stay as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to stop being a Pels fan or start being a fan of some other team just because a player leaves.

The entire direction and future of this team changed last January when Boogie's achilles tendon exploded. That was their 3rd superstar, Niko and Randle are nice, but not superstars. This organization may never recover from that day.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Thread Information