Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Pels interested in trading for Otto Porter

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The problem is that the other team has to agree to the trade and the simple fact is that the Pelicans have the assets to acquire a Wall or Porter but not Beal.

So, you could want Beal, but you have to live in reality where you have $50, no ability to generate any additional money, and there are three items on the shelf. One priced $30, one priced $40 and one priced $70. Saying you want the $70 one is all good and gravy, but there is still the matter of what you have available to give the cashier.
    I'd be patient and wait for the 30% Christmas sales.

The problem is that the other team has to agree to the trade and the simple fact is that the Pelicans have the assets to acquire a Wall or Porter but not Beal.

So, you could want Beal, but you have to live in reality where you have $50, no ability to generate any additional money, and there are three items on the shelf. One priced $30, one priced $40 and one priced $70. Saying you want the $70 one is all good and gravy, but there is still the matter of what you have available to give the cashier.
    In all seriousness I'd do that Niko, Hill, Johnson and filler (Frazier) for Wall, Oubre and Morris trade.

Only thing I don't know is can Davis still be given the max and can they afford Randle next offseason?

A team of:

Wall/Payton/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark
    Oubre/Miller/Williams
    Randle/Morris/Diallo
    Davis/Okafor

Would be nice going into 2019.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    In all seriousness I'd do that Niko, Hill, Johnson and filler (Frazier) for Wall, Oubre and Morris trade.

Only thing I don't know is can Davis still be given the max and can they afford Randle next offseason?

A team of:

Wall/Payton/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark
    Oubre/Miller/Williams
    Randle/Morris/Diallo
    Davis/Okafor

Would be nice going into 2019.
    So, you have to pay AD 48milliin next year, and you're willing to EAT Walls 44million a year for 3 more years ? Huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So, you have to pay AD 48milliin next year, and you're willing to EAT Walls 44million a year for 3 more years ? Huh!
    Yeah its a gamble, but I didn't propose it.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar

Well the simple answer is you don't make a trade. Wall and Porter may be easier to get but they aren't good for us long term. If I can't have Beal, a player I can build around when Davis leaves, then I don't want anybody else from that team.

The Franchise
    Beal is perfect if we want to try to win this year. Would 2 firsts (and salary fillers like solo and Johnson) work for Beal and oubre? Would Firsts and savings be tempting enough and is anyone else offering as much? If I were the wiz I prob wouldn’t move Beal at all but if I can’t move wall then I would. Unfortunately I wouldn’t give up Moore, Niko, or Randle if the plan is to try and win it all this year. I know MM would say it’s impossible but I’ve seen some funky trades and if nothing is better at the deadline they could take it. Jrue, Beal, Oubre, Davis, and Mirotic with a bench of Payton, Moore, and Randle could compete with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Beal is perfect if we want to try to win this year. Would 2 firsts (and salary fillers like solo and Johnson) work for Beal and oubre? Would Firsts and savings be tempting enough and is anyone else offering as much? If I were the wiz I prob wouldn’t move Beal at all but if I can’t move wall then I would. Unfortunately I wouldn’t give up Moore, Niko, or Randle if the plan is to try and win it all this year. I know MM would say it’s impossible but I’ve seen some funky trades and if nothing is better at the deadline they could take it. Jrue, Beal, Oubre, Davis, and Mirotic with a bench of Payton, Moore, and Randle could compete with anyone.
    This is a fallacy trap many fall into. Because there are a handful of lopsided trades in NBA history, we can justify our hope that another lopsided one will come our way.

That's not how it works. Most extremely lopsided NBA trades.did not appear lopsided at the time and/or only had one or two bidders because either the player would only re-sign with one or two teams or most teams.didnt want the guy because of off court or injury issues

That is not Beal. He is a good player in his prime on a solid contract who a dozen plus teams would put in an offer for. So.... The "I have seen crazy trades in the past" logic doesn't apply here
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    And then the trade happens and everyone is like "How?!"

That's the reason why everyone reacted that way when those trades do happen. It's like...I don't know, it's like some weird inverse of a Cassandra truth. Something happens, but no one is able to believe it because they could never see it realistically happening. It'd put that at a 10% chance and leave it there.

All these insane trade ideas when the focus should be on how we can keep OUR OWN, Nico and Randall.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    All these insane trade ideas when the focus should be on how we can keep OUR OWN, Nico and Randall.
    They aren't keeping both long term and they know that. And I would bet that Niko is the one they trade

The Franchise
    They aren't keeping both long term and they know that. And I would bet that Niko is the one they trade
    Let’s say we can make a big move that keeps the bigs and Moore. What do you think our chances would be at making conference championship? I think good and be willing to roll with it. Next year both Randle and Mirotic could leave but just maybe they’d stay for a little more and another shot at the title together. I know Beal is a pipe dream but hopefully he comes out saying he want to come to the pelicans then we can roll out a great 4 guard and 3 big rotation.

Let’s say we can make a big move that keeps the bigs and Moore. What do you think our chances would be at making conference championship? I think good and be willing to roll with it. Next year both Randle and Mirotic could leave but just maybe they’d stay for a little more and another shot at the title together. I know Beal is a pipe dream but hopefully he comes out saying he want to come to the pelicans then we can roll out a great 4 guard and 3 big rotation.
    You go ahead and dream. I prefer living in reality. Call me crazy

They both wan't playing time.
    They both won't be on the team together unless the 3 big's show they are elite for longer stretches.

I'd personally love someone like Harkless, Bogan Bogdanovic or Joe Harris.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I think a Mirotic + Hill + protected 1st rounder for Otto Porter would make a lot of sense for the Pelicans. When it comes to be playoff time, we would be able to play our best 5 players simultaneously without sacrificing pace or space. We could play lineups with Jrue + Payton + Porter, Jrue + Moore + Porter, or maybe all 4 with Davis at the 5 if we really want to go fast. Mirotic has been a great player but we will need to re-sign both him and Randle this off-season. Signing both to big contracts doesn't seem logical given that our best lineup most likely won't be with both of them. I think Mirotic's value is probably at its highest now and Randle will have potential to grow.

Having said all of this, I really hate giving up the 1st rounder and I wouldn't normally think this is a good trade. We need to fill out our roster with young prospects. However, being successful this year is more important so that we have a better chance at re-signing Davis. There is no future without him.

Also, I'm not exactly sure Washington would be so willing to do this. Porter is still young and has potential and they probably can find a better return unless they were intent on re-signing Niko. If they just view Niko as an expiring, then I think a lot of these trade ideas aren't likely. Can someone confirm if we trade Niko, would the team that gets him own his bird rights this off-season? I assume that would greatly change his value in any trade packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I think a Mirotic + Hill + protected 1st rounder for Otto Porter would make a lot of sense for the Pelicans. When it comes to be playoff time, we would be able to play our best 5 players simultaneously without sacrificing pace or space. We could play lineups with Jrue + Payton + Porter, Jrue + Moore + Porter, or maybe all 4 with Davis at the 5 if we really want to go fast. Mirotic has been a great player but we will need to re-sign both him and Randle this off-season. Signing both to big contracts doesn't seem logical given that our best lineup most likely won't be with both of them. I think Mirotic's value is probably at its highest now and Randle will have potential to grow.

Having said all of this, I really hate giving up the 1st rounder and I wouldn't normally think this is a good trade. We need to fill out our roster with young prospects. However, being successful this year is more important so that we have a better chance at re-signing Davis. There is no future without him.

Also, I'm not exactly sure Washington would be so willing to do this. Porter is still young and has potential and they probably can find a better return unless they were intent on re-signing Niko. If they just view Niko as an expiring, then I think a lot of these trade ideas aren't likely. Can someone confirm if we trade Niko, would the team that gets him own his bird rights this off-season? I assume that would greatly change his value in any trade packages.
    Yes they get his bird rights.
    Otto Porters contract is quite high, so I don't think a 1st would need to happen.

Yep, bird rights get traded too (If it's before the Feb deadline, or is that July 1st)

If the Pels give up Niko in the Porter trade, I think they demand Morris back too. The issue is that they need to get up to at least 29+ mil in salary going out for that to happen - which means Niko, Wes, and Hill going out. My ideal deal would be those 3 plus Frazier going out for Morris, Porter, and Satoransky.

The Pels and Wiz can give some cash to a 3rd team to take Wes and Frazier - and that deal would get Washington below the tax. The deal would save Washington close to 30 mil this year and a ton of money over the next few years. Plus Bird Rights to Niko, who could fit next to Wall-Beal-Oubre

That trade makes a ton of sense for both teams. But it can't happen until Dec. 15th

That trade is growing on me, as much as I'd love to keep Niko. It balances us nicely and gives us a concrete plan going forwards in terms of contracts (and solidifes Randle as the partner for AD going forwards).

Payton
    Jrue
    Porter
    AD
    Randle

Satoransky
    Moore
    Miller
    Morris
    Diallo

Jackson

Clear pecking order and clearly defined roles throughout the whole team
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-23-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    And then the trade happens and everyone is like "How?!"

That's the reason why everyone reacted that way when those trades do happen. It's like...I don't know, it's like some weird inverse of a Cassandra truth. Something happens, but no one is able to believe it because they could never see it realistically happening. It'd put that at a 10% chance and leave it there.
    But you are talking like really rare here, man. Like, maybe only 80% of the time. So it almost never happens. So you keep dreaming about your rare thing. This is the rare thing I will state happens for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    That trade is growing on me, as much as I'd love to keep Niko. It balances us nicely and gives us a concrete plan going forwards in terms of contracts (and solidifes Randle as the partner for AD going forwards).

Payton
    Jrue
    Porter
    AD
    Randle

Satoransky
    Moore
    Miller
    Morris
    Diallo

Jackson

Clear pecking order and clearly defined roles throughout the whole team
    Exactly. I understand people want to keep all our good players and add a wing like Porter, but you aren't keeping that all together beyond this season anyway. I'd rather signal to Randle now that he is the big we want to move forward with and clearly define all roles and positions. Plus, Niko has more trade value and I think the Pels can keep the pick or at least heavily protect it if he is the one in the deal.

My issue in this deal is Porter. I am a Georgetown fan and I have just never seen this guy compete like a dog. He is smooth and talented, but I don't see the grit that it takes to scratch and claw out games in May. If he was the same guy but had Demarre Carroll's intangibles, I would be all in.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Exactly. I understand people want to keep all our good players and add a wing like Porter, but you aren't keeping that all together beyond this season anyway. I'd rather signal to Randle now that he is the big we want to move forward with and clearly define all roles and positions. Plus, Niko has more trade value and I think the Pels can keep the pick or at least heavily protect it if he is the one in the deal.

My issue in this deal is Porter. I am a Georgetown fan and I have just never seen this guy compete like a dog. He is smooth and talented, but I don't see the grit that it takes to scratch and claw out games in May. If he was the same guy but had Demarre Carroll's intangibles, I would be all in.
    Maybe his lack of grit is influenced by his surroundings? Would coming to N.O. give him the push he needs? We have a tight locker room and our team does work hard, so maybe that plays a factor in deciding whether to go for Porter. I do agree that we move Nico, a player whom I love, because he is a great trade piece and we need to commit to Randle. There is something about Randall that just seems right with this team moving forward. His energy and skills are a unique combo, which meshes well with the unique talents of AD.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Maybe his lack of grit is influenced by his surroundings? Would coming to N.O. give him the push he needs? We have a tight locker room and our team does work hard, so maybe that plays a factor in deciding whether to go for Porter. I do agree that we move Nico, a player whom I love, because he is a great trade piece and we need to commit to Randle. There is something about Randall that just seems right with this team moving forward. His energy and skills are a unique combo, which meshes well with the unique talents of AD.
    I have watched the NBA for 30 years and I can't think of three guys who went from chill to having that dog in them. It's already in you when you enter the league or it's not.

I’d definitely be on board with that trade, balanced with depth throughout. Question though— what’s stopping the Sacramento Kings from making a better offer? They have the expiring contracts and cap space to make a more appealing offer than including S. Hill. And they offered him that huge contract in the first place, so they probably wouldn’t hesitate to take on all that salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    I’d definitely be on board with that trade, balanced with depth throughout. Question though— what’s stopping the Sacramento Kings from making a better offer? They have the expiring contracts and cap space to make a more appealing offer than including S. Hill. And they offered him that huge contract in the first place, so they probably wouldn’t hesitate to take on all that salary.
    The Kings don’t have Niko to offer. Niko is pretty much better than anyone the Kings would trade at this point. I am still not sold on Porter as the missing piece. We would basically lock into a team of Holiday/Porter with hopes of re-signing Randle and Davis. Flexibility to sign a worthy max contract player in the offseason seems more valuable. I would hope to get Thompson, Walker, or Cousins. Durant and Leonard are pipe dreams.

What about a 3 way deal with Brooklyn and Chicago.

We send Niko and Wes to Brooklyn. Send Solo, cash and 2nd rd pick to Chicago.

Brooklyn sends us Carroll and Dinwiddie. Sends a 2nd rd pick to Chicago.

Chicago sends us Lopez and Holiday.

We recieve: Carroll, Dinwiddie, Lopez, Holiday

Brooklyn receive: Niko, Wes

Chicago receive: Hill, Brooklyn 2nd rd pick, our 2nd rd pick, + cash

Thread Information