Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Pels interested in trading for Otto Porter

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    But he can opt out again after 19/20, then we can offer him a big contract using Bird Rights?
    He could yes. However even if he opted out after 2 years with the team we'd only have his early Bird Rights which means the most we could offer him would be 175% of his current salary for up to 4 years. Basically a 4yr/87m contract.

So imagine a team comes to you this summer and says hey we will give you 4yr/90m fully guaranteed. The best the Pels could offer would be, "hey we can guarantee you 2yr/24m which pays 11m in the 1st year but after the 1st year you can opt out THEN we could offer you a 4yr/87m deal."

Your options are either: Accept 90m or Accept 11m on the chance that the following year you could get 87m. He might very well love where he is at but if someone is willing to hand you 90m dollars guaranteed now that's a hard thing to pass up. Especially since he hasn't hit a huge payday yet.

If he accepts our deal and then has a career ending or career altering injury then he basically loses out on 66m dollars. If he accepts our offer and then simply has a down season where he struggles or deals with multiple minor injuries that kept him from playing his best ball teams could still see that and try and lowball him offers. He'd be risking a lot to accept our deal.

Maybe the numbers are just so big that it's hard for some people to grasp. Let's say you get paid 50,000 a year. Another company that does the same exact work comes up to you and says "hey we will pay you 200,000 a year to come work for us and we will guarantee your salary for 4 years." You talk to your company and they say, "We'd love to keep you, our boss has our hands tied on what we can offer you though so really the best we could do is 60,000 but we could guarantee that that money for 2 years. I talked and the boss said in a year he *might* be able to work some numbers around and pay you 185,000 a year and then guarantee you that wage for 4 years."
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-21-2018 at 07:24 AM.

I was thinking early bird rights were year 2, not year 3. Meaning full bird rights starting year 4. Dang

When you put it like that, I don't see a way he re-signs unless there is no other interest in him
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-21-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I was thinking early bird rights were year 2, not year 3. Meaning full bird rights starting year 4. Dang

When you put it like that, I don't see a way he re-signs unless there is no other interest in him
    Early Bird Rights are available after two full years on a team.

Basically the way it works out is:

1 year with a team: can give a 120% raise.

2 years with team (Early Bird Rights): 175% raise.

3 years with a team (Full Bird Rights): Can give a max offer.

Niko is shooting 34% from 3pt range and is 35.6% for his career.

Otto porter is shooting 35.6% this season and 40% for his career.

Let's say the 3pt shooting is a wash... Porter is the better defender and would (arguably) be a better fit. Sure Wes johnson has been playing well but Porter is the better/more consistent player. I'd be down for trading niko but its a pipe dream to think Washington would take him.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Niko is shooting 34% from 3pt range and is 35.6% for his career.

Otto porter is shooting 35.6% this season and 40% for his career.

Let's say the 3pt shooting is a wash... Porter is the better defender and would (arguably) be a better fit. Sure Wes johnson has been playing well but Porter is the better/more consistent player. I'd be down for trading niko but its a pipe dream to think Washington would take him.
    Not really given Niko is expiring. Porter could be a salary dump for them. But Hill would have to be included to match salaries or there abouts

Unless I'm forgetting someone, the only players we've seen voluntarily take 1+1 offers when they could easily get longer contracts are LeBron and Durant. Of course, it's "easier" for them to turn down the longer security since they've already played many years at max or near-max contracts and also have tremendous amounts of off-court income. Randle has none of those things, so he'd have to really like playing here to turn down a big offer. Best case is that he doesn't get good offers, but anyone paying attention to Gordon Hayward and DeMarcus Cousins knows he's likely to take the bigger deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Unless I'm forgetting someone, the only players we've seen voluntarily take 1+1 offers when they could easily get longer contracts are LeBron and Durant. Of course, it's "easier" for them to turn down the longer security since they've already played many years at max or near-max contracts and also have tremendous amounts of off-court income. Randle has none of those things, so he'd have to really like playing here to turn down a big offer. Best case is that he doesn't get good offers, but anyone paying attention to Gordon Hayward and DeMarcus Cousins knows he's likely to take the bigger deal.
    Those two also still got max or near max money those two years. It is not just an added security that Randle loses. He also will have to take a paycut to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He could yes. However even if he opted out after 2 years with the team we'd only have his early Bird Rights which means the most we could offer him would be 175% of his current salary for up to 4 years. Basically a 4yr/87m contract.

So imagine a team comes to you this summer and says hey we will give you 4yr/90m fully guaranteed. The best the Pels could offer would be, "hey we can guarantee you 2yr/24m which pays 11m in the 1st year but after the 1st year you can opt out THEN we could offer you a 4yr/87m deal."

Your options are either: Accept 90m or Accept 11m on the chance that the following year you could get 87m. He might very well love where he is at but if someone is willing to hand you 90m dollars guaranteed now that's a hard thing to pass up. Especially since he hasn't hit a huge payday yet.

If he accepts our deal and then has a career ending or career altering injury then he basically loses out on 66m dollars. If he accepts our offer and then simply has a down season where he struggles or deals with multiple minor injuries that kept him from playing his best ball teams could still see that and try and lowball him offers. He'd be risking a lot to accept our deal.

Maybe the numbers are just so big that it's hard for some people to grasp. Let's say you get paid 50,000 a year. Another company that does the same exact work comes up to you and says "hey we will pay you 200,000 a year to come work for us and we will guarantee your salary for 4 years." You talk to your company and they say, "We'd love to keep you, our boss has our hands tied on what we can offer you though so really the best we could do is 60,000 but we could guarantee that that money for 2 years. I talked and the boss said in a year he *might* be able to work some numbers around and pay you 185,000 a year and then guarantee you that wage for 4 years."
    We're going to lose Randle huh?
    Clippers, Knicks, Nets, Mavericks, Hawks, Pacers, Kings and Magic can all offer him that kind of money.

It's so much cap space available next summer. He would have to REALLY love it here to stay. Or ink a huge shoe deal before next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    We're going to lose Randle huh?
    Clippers, Knicks, Nets, Mavericks, Hawks, Pacers, Kings and Magic can all offer him that kind of money.

It's so much cap space available next summer. He would have to REALLY love it here to stay. Or ink a huge shoe deal before next summer.
    That's why I think anyone who proposes we trade Mirotic is a fool... At least we know we can keep him. Randle is a big question mark after this year. I don't see us being able to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisowen View Post
    That's why I think anyone who proposes we trade Mirotic is a fool... At least we know we can keep him. Randle is a big question mark after this year. I don't see us being able to keep him.
    Only way is to make a trade like Niko+Hill for Carroll+Allen. And resigning Carroll at $10M or less per year. But I dont see the Nets giving up Allen or taking back Hill.

Edit: or if Phoenix would do Niko+Hill for Ariza+Warren. And we dont resign Ariza.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 11-21-2018 at 04:38 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm really hoping we don't trade that pick willynilly.

It's been our MO. I know. But man, I'd love a shot at the draft this year. There's so many damn wing players. Even after the Zions, RJs, and Camrons. There's friggin' Nassir Little or Rui Sakamuchi.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

It's been our MO. I know. But man, I'd love a shot at the draft this year. There's so many damn wing players. Even after the Zions, RJs, and Camrons. There's friggin' Nassir Little or Rui Sakamuchi.
    And if we do trade it I'd much rather we trade it for someone who's going to actually show up at games instead of showing up I'm the last 2 mins

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

I'm with you. I dont want to trade the first at all. They can move as many 2nds as they want. But please keep the next few first round picks

If you use that 1st to acquire a piece that helps AD to stay, why wouldn't you?

AD isnt giving a toss about who we get in the 2020 1st round, but he is giving a toss about having a roster around him right now

If AD wants to leave, that's when you get the 1sts back in a trade.

Look at what Cleveland did, trade away all their 1sts while LeBron was there to add pieces. Houston wanted to trade 4 1sts for Butler. That's what teams in contention do
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-21-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Three way trade that helps all three teams in the long run

Pelicans send out mirotic and solo to wash
    Wash sends porter to the 6ers and sends Morris and oubre to New Orleans
    76ers send fultz to New Orleans and Wilson chandler to Washington.

Wizards get cap relief and a legit starter. 76ers get a starting wing.

Pelicans get a stop gap for mirotic, we get a talented wing to likely start and we get a guy with a ton of potential who really needs a change of scenery.

Interesting

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycb9yo6s

WIZARDS get Niko, Tristen Thompson PELS 2019 1st and 2021 1st

CAVS get Solomon Hill, Moore, Diallo and PELS 2023 first top 5 protected

PELS receive John Wall and Markieff Morris

John Wall is a superstar. Wizards would probably take two first rounders, Niko and Tristan Thompson. They get rid of Wall who has a lot of drama with the head coach and he has a long contract. They probably want to move him. They could move Wall and add a very talented center and Niko who is expiring but could be resigned possibly. The Wizards could tank, have a lotto pick and our first rounder plus and first in 2021.

CAVS would get a very good guard in Moore who has a great contract, a decent first round pick and a young PF in Diallo and Hill. They are in rebuild mode and adding Hill who has really high value IMO plus a first could help them in rebuild. Might be a hard sell depending on how much they would value Moore and the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Three way trade that helps all three teams in the long run

Pelicans send out mirotic and solo to wash
    Wash sends porter to the 6ers and sends Morris and oubre to New Orleans
    76ers send fultz to New Orleans and Wilson chandler to Washington.

Wizards get cap relief and a legit starter. 76ers get a starting wing.

Pelicans get a stop gap for mirotic, we get a talented wing to likely start and we get a guy with a ton of potential who really needs a change of scenery.
    Love this deal for all teams involved. Porter would be awesome in Philly. Only question is if they would take his salary knowing they have to max out Jimmy this summer? I say they would, but they might be thinking differently.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

WIZARDS get Niko, Tristen Thompson PELS 2019 1st and 2021 1st

CAVS get Solomon Hill, Moore, Diallo and PELS 2023 first top 5 protected

PELS receive John Wall and Markieff Morris

John Wall is a superstar. Wizards would probably take two first rounders, Niko and Tristan Thompson. They get rid of Wall who has a lot of drama with the head coach and he has a long contract. They probably want to move him. They could move Wall and add a very talented center and Niko who is expiring but could be resigned possibly. The Wizards could tank, have a lotto pick and our first rounder plus and first in 2021.

CAVS would get a very good guard in Moore who has a great contract, a decent first round pick and a young PF in Diallo and Hill. They are in rebuild mode and adding Hill who has really high value IMO plus a first could help them in rebuild. Might be a hard sell depending on how much they would value Moore and the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why even involve the Cavs?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8vy5u2e

Really like Porter as a player his skillsets fits perfect. That contract just makes it a hard "no" for me.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    We better not trade for that awful contract. People thought Asik and Hill were bad deals?? Good LOOORD.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We better not trade for that awful contract. People thought Asik and Hill were bad deals?? Good LOOORD.
    I agree. Porter has a horrendous contract that the Pels should want no part of. He is a complimentary player getting paid like an all star. This is why the wizards are terrible and have no room to change.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I love Niko but we may have move him to get a trade done. But I think the target should be Beal not Porter or Wall. A backcourt of Holiday and Beal and a front court of Randle and Davis could be very very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I love Niko but we may have move him to get a trade done. But I think the target should be Beal not Porter or Wall. A backcourt of Holiday and Beal and a front court of Randle and Davis could be very very dangerous.
    The problem is that the other team has to agree to the trade and the simple fact is that the Pelicans have the assets to acquire a Wall or Porter but not Beal.

So, you could want Beal, but you have to live in reality where you have $50, no ability to generate any additional money, and there are three items on the shelf. One priced $30, one priced $40 and one priced $70. Saying you want the $70 one is all good and gravy, but there is still the matter of what you have available to give the cashier.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The problem is that the other team has to agree to the trade and the simple fact is that the Pelicans have the assets to acquire a Wall or Porter but not Beal.

So, you could want Beal, but you have to live in reality where you have $50, no ability to generate any additional money, and there are three items on the shelf. One priced $30, one priced $40 and one priced $70. Saying you want the $70 one is all good and gravy, but there is still the matter of what you have available to give the cashier.
    Bunch of shoplifters we have here

Thread Information