Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Pels interested in trading for Otto Porter

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What about Niko+Hill for Porter+Green+1st? I think I would do that. Porter is actually really good, overpaid yes but good with still room to grow. As MM has pointed out it will be really hard to keep both Niko and Randle next season. This would actually allow us to give Randle a slight raise. While picking up a pick.
    We can give Randle a slight raise no matter what we do this off season. CBA allows you to sign a player with 1 year on a team to a contract up to 120% of their previous deal.

The problem is a 20% raise only gives Randle around 11m. Is that going to be enough to keep him this offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We can give Randle a slight raise no matter what we do this off season. CBA allows you to sign a player with 1 year on a team to a contract up to 120% of their previous deal.

The problem is a 20% raise only gives Randle around 11m. Is that going to be enough to keep him this offseason?
    If we trade Niko+Hill for Porter+filler. We can offer him somewhere around $18-20M. Much more likely he signs that. Especially with a guaranteed starting spot.

gross. don't do it.

If we trade Niko+Hill for Porter+filler. We can offer him somewhere around $18-20M. Much more likely he signs that. Especially with a guaranteed starting spot.
    We would not be under the cap by that much, so how could we offer him that large of a raise?

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I look at Randle and Nico together as being like 1 max player. But, the advantage is that 1 of them can always be on the court. I feel like we need to keep the 3 bigs together, however Dell is able to work it.

I totally agree. I think that the ThreeBigs is more important than an upgrade at SF.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We would not be under the cap by that much, so how could we offer him that large of a raise?
    My calculations were off. We would be able to offer him 15-17M.

Edit: and we would still have MLE and room exception to resign players. And/or add another.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 11-20-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Porter is 6'9 with a 7'1.5 wingspan. Mirotic is 6'10 with a 7'1 wingspan.
    I've read on Wizards forums that Porter played some 5 for them in certain lineups. He's a versatile player just overpaid. But Mirotic could see similar offers, look at Ryan Anderson.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I don't know if this is feasible because we give away our 1sts like it's nothing, but would you give up two 1sts without including Niko, Randle, or Moore if it meant getting Porter? Like I said, I don't know if it's feasible, but I figured I throw it out.

Basketball Guru
    jrue,,niko,,AD,,randall, are our big 4..they are all double doubles a night and we never had that....find a way to keep that core together...

I just dont see us being able to keep all 3 bigs. Asking Randle to take another paycut AND the same reduced role is a tall order. I'm of the belief that he came here because he believed he would be starting and he's playing the lowest minutes of his career at this point. Dude just had a triple double in 25 minutes. He will be poached in the summer if we try to sell him coming off the bench again.

My calculations were off. We would be able to offer him 15-17M.

Edit: and we would still have MLE and room exception to resign players. And/or add another.
    Have you considered cap holds?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Have you considered cap holds?

Didn't think so!
    Why would you answer the question for me? Yes I did. That's why I said we still have the MLE and room exception to resign players.

Why would you answer the question for me? Yes I did. That's why I said we still have the MLE and room exception to resign players.
    I re-read your post that is why I have edited above.

I'd have to look at the numbers but that doesn't sound right. Porter + filler would basically be the same cap hold.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I don't know if this is feasible because we give away our 1sts like it's nothing, but would you give up two 1sts without including Niko, Randle, or Moore if it meant getting Porter? Like I said, I don't know if it's feasible, but I figured I throw it out.
    Nope, porter isn't worth that. Maybe Beal, theres a rumor of Marvin William's, Batum, and a 1st for Beal and I feel like we can beat that. But that's a pretty bad deal for Washington so I don't know if it's real.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I re-read your post that is why I have edited above.
    Oh okay gotcha brother

I'd have to look at the numbers but that doesn't sound right. Porter + filler would basically be the same cap hold.
    We would have to waive all cap holds. And resign players with exceptions, which is feasible considering the MLE will rise again and Paytons injury woes lowers what he would be able to command. But Porter deal is basically Solo+ resigning Mirotic at about $13.5M. Which would leave us room to resign Randle at about $15-17M.

Mythol Help me understand, Why can't we offer Randall what others can? For example, couldn't we swap Hill and a 1st for D Carroll. We get his rights and he is expiring. Hill goes away dropping us under cap for next yr. Is that doable?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Mythol Help me understand, Why can't we offer Randall what others can? For example, couldn't we swap Hill and a 1st for D Carroll. We get his rights and he is expiring. Hill goes away dropping us under cap for next yr. Is that doable?
    Because other teams will have cap space and we will not if we want to keep all these players.
    We will have a cap hold of approx 18M for Mirotic to be able to match with bird rights.
    Randle can only be signed using cap space and if we don't have that, other teams can use their cap space to beat our offer.

Beal and Santo for randle and solo and a pick.

We would have to waive all cap holds. And resign players with exceptions, which is feasible considering the MLE will rise again and Paytons injury woes lowers what he would be able to command. But Porter deal is basically Solo+ resigning Mirotic at about $13.5M. Which would leave us room to resign Randle at about $15-17M.
    You can't waive all holds. Even if we let everyone's holds not under contract go (which is a huge ask to begin with because it would gut our team and bench) the NBA requires you to keep 13 contracts counting against your cap at all times. So all roster spots not filled would count as a rookie minimum deal (roughly 1m each). Thats not even counting stuff like cap holds for 1st round picks or money that we use to guarantee camp players, etc.

Projected Cap next year: 109m

Jrue 26m
    Porter 27m
    AD 27m
    Moore 9m
    Jackson 2m
    Minimum holds 8m

Thats 99m right there.

So even gutting ALL non guranteed contracts and not counting any of the other minor holds and stuff we'd be on the hook for there's simply no way we could easily clear up more money than around 10-11m to offer Randle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    There is such a thing as a cap every team must operate under / within the rules of. In the above discussion where we trade for Porter then as I pointed out the most we could free up is roughly 10 million without additional salary dumps. If we did a trade like you proposed we'd still have Niko's cap hold on the books (because we are not going to just let him walk if we can help it) along with all the other players we want to keep on the team and their cap hold. Even a player like Carroll if we gave up a 1st for him odds are we are going to try to resign him, which means we are going to keep his cap hold on the books.

The simple truth is, we *could* probably work out a way of offering Randle a contract he would accept but it would require giving up even more assets and/or trading Jrue / Moore / AD etc while gutting the team to do It. There simply is no clean or easy way to offer Randle more than around 2yr/24m this coming summer.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-20-2018 at 10:12 PM.

You can't waive all holds. Even if we let everyone's holds not under contract go (which is a huge ask to begin with because it would gut our team and bench) the NBA requires you to keep 13 contracts counting against your cap at all times. So all roster spots not filled would count as a rookie minimum deal (roughly 1m each). Thats not even counting stuff like cap holds for 1st round picks or money that we use to guarantee camp players, etc.

Projected Cap next year: 109m

Jrue 26m
    Porter 27m
    AD 27m
    Moore 9m
    Jackson 2m
    Minimum holds 8m

Thats 99m right there.

So even gutting ALL non guranteed contracts and not counting any of the other minor holds and stuff we'd be on the hook for there's simply no way we could easily clear up more money than around 10-11m to offer Randle.
    There is such a thing as a cap every team must operate under / within the rules of. In the above discussion where we trade for Porter then as I pointed out the most we could free up is roughly 10 million without additional salary dumps. If we did a trade like you proposed we'd still have Niko's cap hold on the books (because we are not going to just let him walk if we can help it) along with all the other players we want to keep on the team and their cap hold. Even a player like Carroll if we gave up a 1st for him odds are we are going to try to resign him, which means we are going to keep his cap hold on the books.

The simple truth is, we *could* probably work out a way of offering Randle a contract he would accept but it would require giving up even more assets and/or trading Jrue / Moore / AD etc while gutting the team to do It. There simply is no clean or easy way to offer Randle more than around 2yr/24m this coming summer.
    But he can opt out again after 19/20, then we can offer him a big contract using Bird Rights?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    But he can opt out again after 19/20, then we can offer him a big contract using Bird Rights?
    And if he gets injured?
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 11-21-2018 at 03:22 AM.

And if he gets injured?
    That's what the player option is for with the 2 year deals while full bird rights aren't available yet. Insurance policy for the player.

If they're healthy there's no reason to opt in

Thread Information