Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Pels interested in trading for Otto Porter

Rumor Rumor: Pels interested in trading for Otto Porter

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...-anthony-davis

Porter is in the second year of four-year, $106.5 million contract, and O'Connor speculates that an offer of Julius Randle, Solomon Hill and a first-round pick could work.

Getting Solo off the books would be great but do we want to pull the plug on Randle already?

I wouldn't trade Randle for Porter. Washington should be looking to give him away given his reduced role and enormous contract. If the Pels are seriously interested, I would offer a dump package like Hill, Frazier, Johnson, Diallo, cash and a 1st (top 5 protected) for Porter after 12/15. Could even maybe expand to include Miller and Satoransky to the deal. Not sure how serious the Pels would be given his contract though. He is not really a difference maker for that kind of money.

There's no need to make such a desperate trade, especially with Wesley Johnson doing pretty well at what we need for the SF position -- playing good defense and making open shots.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Ugh. Don't trade Randle. I like his chemistry with AD.

Quote Originally Posted by HK-47 View Post
    There's no need to make such a desperate trade, especially with Wesley Johnson doing pretty well at what we need for the SF position -- playing good defense and making open shots.
    I agree. Wait and see what falls in your laps closer to the deadline. There may be another Boogie-type deal that you cannot refuse.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Mirotic is not a bad defender, so I'm not sure why that gets thrown around. I actually think that our depth is fine (best it's been since the team came from Charlotte), outside of pg, but that could change if Frank takes the next step. When Payton was playing the first 4 games, our bench was impressive, so I want to hold out on saying they are weak. I would love Porter, but I'm not sure what the best path forward is at this point.

Not sure why we would even consider trading Randle right now. He's been great for us on both ends.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    if this is true,,i dont want to trade randall for porter...if we trade randall we loose all of our inside muscle and scoring......we have a big 4 double double in AD,,nico,,randall and jrue and i dont want to loose that type of production...

Basketball Guru
    thinking about it...AD recruited randall to come play and im guessing to also play some 5 so i dont think he would be happy about loosing randall for porter...

I think you have to consider keeping the core in tact. Mirotic is so happy to be here, Randle is so happy to be here AND he wants to play long term for us. Davis also recruited him. Do your best to keep those guys on the team. For once we have players who WANT to play for us. Don't take it for granted.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This would need the be the final piece. Porter needs to have like a Jrue Holiday like game raise to make that salary worth it. High risk. And I’m. It sure the reward is there. And I’m one of the few who went to bat for Otto when he came outta Georgetown. Everyone said he was too poor an athlete. Not enough of a ball handler or shooter.

I'd take him if the price didn't include Niko or Randle. His salary is huge and he has clear limitations, but he also fills a huge need and probably wouldn't be on the block if he wasn't at his current salary. I'd be willing to throw Hill, Moore (who would hurt to trade but I think he'd be necessary to get it done), and Jackson along with a lottery protected first for him.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Mirotic is not a bad defender, so I'm not sure why that gets thrown around. I actually think that our depth is fine (best it's been since the team came from Charlotte), outside of pg, but that could change if Frank takes the next step. When Payton was playing the first 4 games, our bench was impressive, so I want to hold out on saying they are weak. I would love Porter, but I'm not sure what the best path forward is at this point.
    Kevin OConner is mostly just a fan/Bill Simmons mouth piece. He brings up some good points but his trade ideas are terrible and so is his basketball insight at large. Writing feels a little subpar to. Basically like an MM (just kidding bud)

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Kevin OConner is mostly just a fan/Bill Simmons mouth piece. He brings up some good points but his trade ideas are terrible and so is his basketball insight at large. Writing feels a little subpar to. Basically like an MM (just kidding bud)
    yeah, I wasn't impressed with his insight into our team.

the wiz are open for business i just wonder what they are willing to take for Beal ?

Beal would take a big offer and I am not sure if we want to get into that for a high volume SG. Not sure he is what we need.

Basketball Guru
    the wizards are blowing it up early..

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    the wizards are blowing it up early..
    Not sure how successful they will be in blowing it up. Not sure anyone is touching Wall's contract. Porter will be tough to unload for value. Beal is their trade chip, but realistically he will not bring a blockbuster return IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure how successful they will be in blowing it up. Not sure anyone is touching Wall's contract. Porter will be tough to unload for value. Beal is their trade chip, but realistically he will not bring a blockbuster return IMO.
    Wall is still young, but that contract is rough. Not to mention with hopes in AD re-signing, it'll be hard to keep a lot in tact.

This is exactly the type of deal we should avoid. Hopefully Dell doesn’t offer that kind of package for a decent player on a sizeable contract- even to get rid of Solomon

We're a good enough team that we don't have to panic buy. Some teams, including us in the past, have been bad enough that any time an opportunity for a solid player comes up, they have to just chuck assets at it in the vague hope that it will help. We aren't that team anymore. We're good enough that we can sit and wait to see if the right trades come up. Otto Porter is not the right trade.

His contract is so big that if we didn't ship Randle, we'd almost certainly have to lose Moore, which means we'd be losing one of the most consistent players on our roster, who plays perfectly within the offense with great chemistry. The team's overall shooting ability wouldn't increase, because although Porter is a great shooter, losing Moore would cost us that too, and they'd level out. The only difference is that Porter would be doing it at the SF position instead of the SG position, but can you afford to eat such an offensively huge contract for a marginal positional benefit?

No way. Pass on that. If we want anything from the Wizards, it's Oubre or Satoransky.

Woj is reporting that the Wizards entire roster is available for the right offer. If it's going to be a fire sale, you wait a bit for prices to come down.

The next question is do you, even in theory, want Porter's contract? It's worth considering. If the Wizards really are in sell mode, I might target Oubre instead of Porter.

You also have to evaluate how you feel about the Pels current roster and how it might work in going forward. As with Ryan Anderson, we've got some redundancy with Davis at power forward. I love both Mirotic and Randle and they each offer different and complimentary skill sets. Still it's a bit a of a log jam in the front court unless all three bigs are in your final five. I'm not sure that works and so if you can flip one of your front court guys for a legit starting wing who you can have on the floor with Davis, Holiday and another big at the end, you have to take a hard look at making a deal. The other key factor, of course, is what you know about the likelihood of being able to hold on to either Randle or Mirotic after this season. I think it's pretty clear Niko wants to be here and I like him next to Davis. Randle has a player option which pretty everyone assumes he'll opt out of. Can you sign both he and Mirotic to new deals? Should you even if you could give the team's deficit at SF? Need to run that analysis before making any deals.

Wes Johnson's ability and contract vs Otto Porters....

I'll stick with Wes

The thing about Randle is he could easily get a huge contract offer this summer that we can't match and then he walks.

I'm not saying he should be traded for Porter but you almost have to look at moving him especially if he continues his play.

Moore would be a really hard player for me to trade. His contract is quickly becoming one of the best in the entire league. Only way he gets moved should be for an All Star. In a lot of ways he is a more efficient Bradley Beal with a lower usage.

I said all this to say, I don't know how I'd work a trade with Washington but I'd look into it.

Wow. We all agree on something......?

That's freaky.

Thread Information