Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: November 21st - New Orleans Pelicans @ Philadelphia 76ers - 10-7

Pelicans November 21st - New Orleans Pelicans @ Philadelphia 76ers - 10-7

After a very successful homestand, we are on the road again! This time, we're taking on Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, Jimmy Butler, and the rest of the Philadelphia 76ers.

So, who are the 2018-19 76ers? So far they're 12-7 with an 8-0 record at home. They have the 18th best offensive rating in the league, and the 11th best defensive rating. Why such mediocre ratings for a team with such a good record? Part of it is that they've managed 3 of their wins by 2 points or less, and part of it is that they've played several bad teams too (Phoenix, Chicago, for example). Another part of it is that whilst they've blown out teams by 19, 21, 14, and 12 points, they've also been blown out by 18, 15, 21, and 25 points.

What are the Sixers good at, and what are they bad at?

Well, they aren't very good from 3, ranked 19th in the league in percentage. They're also not that great at the FT line, with the 15th best percentage in the league: although they take the most in the league overall. They aren't a great steals team, ranked 17th, and they are the worst team in the league when it comes to turnovers and fouls.

They are, on the other hand, very good at assists: ranked 2nd in assists per game, and they are just the league's best team in total and defensive rebounds, and they're top ten in offensive boards too. Add in 5th in the league in blocks, and they have some very elite skills.

Obviously, this all comes from their lead players, Simmons and Embiid. Embiid is essentially matching AD's statline in scoring and rebounding, but he's getting less assists, less blocks, less steals, and is shooting worse from all over the field. Simmons' production is essentially Jrue's, if Jrue had his ability to hit anything outside of 9 feet taken away and transformed into rebounding ability.

How do we win? Defend well on Embiid and Simmons, exploiting their tendencies to throw the ball away. Get them in foul trouble: they are not a clean team. Exploit the fact that they can't shoot well from range: it's better to give Embiid a shot from 30 feet than from 10, although that's stating the obvious. Rebounding is huge: it's their biggest skill. Take it away from them, with our three bigs who are all capable of hitting 15 rebounds on any night.

Other than that, it's just playing our game. We ended the Raptor's perfect home record: let's ruin another. #DoItBig.
    Basketball.

8-0 record... Well, it's a good time for that to end. We got to get Niko hot from the 3. This game gonna be a brawl in the paint. Can't miss easy layups. I don't think we match up well defensively without Payton to lock down their starting 5 completely . Luckily... None of these guys can really threaten us deep unless Jimmy gets hot. AD does not need to force his shoot if Embiid is allowed to get overly physical with him in the paint. Having Randle and/or Niko on the court is gonna frustrate them on containment when AD draws Embiid away.

MONTY with Jen.............................CLASS ACT

2 consecutive stops at th erim to start? Good signs. AD blotting out Simmons.

Mirotic blocks Embiid's slow-mo Euro.

Trying to be too clever, got swatted for it.

3 turnovers already. Wow.

Embiid just got ANOTHER whistle and nobody actually came within 6 inches of him. Jeez.

Embiid bodily runs into Moore to stop the lay-up.

No call.

Wish we could get home cooking like this. Just once.

Another slow start. With this team is gonna cost us a L.

Not a fan of Jrue dribbling at the 3pt line for 20 seconds to take contested iso shots.

That's entirely on AD. Didn't bother boxing out to get the rebound, gave up the offensive board, fouled instead of playing defense. Bad.

Don't see these fouls tbh

Nice hustle ad

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

4th straight game where we've played patchy, inconsistent first quarters. We've managed to pull out wins in them so far but come one, you're ASKING to lose when you do this.

Annoying start, Simmons is being a try hard Lol

Man those turnovers... This is depressing.

So is this how they win games get touch fouls the entire game I mean really you're gonna tell me they're playing perfect defense lol

Jrue Holiday is 6'4. Ben Simmons is 6'10. Ben Simmons cannot post Jrue Holiday up on the block.

''Dunk it. Just dunk it.'' - Joel Myers.

That's basically it. Stop trying to do little hooks, stop trying to do little flips. You are damn near 7 feet tall, directly under the rim. Just dunk it.

How hard is it to block out I mean really? It's the simplest ******** to do yet ad and everyone else stand there

Oh no is Clark coming in yep yep he is great

Ad back tap lmao

AD is not a C, he has never been, he don't want to be...and he can't counter embiid.

So Simmons gets to turn around and push our guy but it's a foul on us??? Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    AD is not a C, he has never been, he don't want to be...and he can't counter embiid.
    No but he could actually try to defend kind of how jrue and Moore are out there defending dudes way bigger then them

Thread Information