Pelicans Report

Thread: Keep an eye on Otto Porter

Keep an eye on Otto Porter

Word has it from Wizards fans, he dont like playing with John Wall who the Wizards just gave a huge extension. He's off to a very slow start as well as the Wizards, and they say he don't look interested in playing some games. Wall and Beal have called him out several times.

He could be our way out of Solomon Hill, as well as our long term answer at SF. His contract is albatross but his fit is perfect here. Some Wizards fans considered him to be their best player last year.

Solo+Moore for Porter saves the Wizards $35M without considering luxury tax savings.

I would keep an eye on Porter and the Wizards. If this slow start continues they could look to move him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Word has it from Wizards fans, he dont like playing with John Wall who the Wizards just gave a huge extension. He's off to a very slow start as well as the Wizards, and they say he don't look interested in playing some games. Wall and Beal have called him out several times.

He could be our way out of Solomon Hill, as well as our long term answer at SF. His contract is albatross but his fit is perfect here. Some Wizards fans considered him to be their best player last year.

Solo+Moore for Porter saves the Wizards $35M without considering luxury tax savings.

I would keep an eye on Porter and the Wizards. If this slow start continues they could look to move him.
    Trade for Porter, and it's that much harder to re-sign all of Payton, Mirotic, and Randle. I don't even want to get rid of Moore. He's providing stability.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Trade for Porter, and it's that much harder to re-sign all of Payton, Mirotic, and Randle. I don't even want to get rid of Moore. He's providing stability.
    I would be loathe to give up Moore for probably 90% of trades. I know that for the big move, he'll almost certainly be traded because of his attractive contract and broad skillset, but he does exactly what you said: provide stability. He plays in almost every game, he almost always gives you about 10 points, he's a consistent shooter who regularly hits big shots to swing momentum, he's a solid driver and decent passer, he plays well on defense no matter who he's matched up against, and he's humble and doesn't cause any locker room trouble. Honestly, dream player.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I would be loathe to give up Moore for probably 90% of trades. I know that for the big move, he'll almost certainly be traded because of his attractive contract and broad skillset, but he does exactly what you said: provide stability. He plays in almost every game, he almost always gives you about 10 points, he's a consistent shooter who regularly hits big shots to swing momentum, he's a solid driver and decent passer, he plays well on defense no matter who he's matched up against, and he's humble and doesn't cause any locker room trouble. Honestly, dream player.
    I agree. OP can you provide a link of this ‘word’ that Porter doesn’t like playing with Wall or just speculating?

Could get to a point where Wiz would be willing to take back just Hill, Wes J and other smaller contracts, plus a 1st (we’d have to outbid the Kings in a trade). Keep Moore and still be able to resign Payton and Niko, and Randle can have the option to opt in his 10mil. for next season. Take a big risk with contracts, but the reward of a motivated Otto Porter as high level SF alongside the other core players is pretty appealing. Team #Trade4Otto

We need Portis to punch Oubre in the face instead of Porter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If only he weren't the bearer of such a heavy contract.

BUt then...maybe he's ready to take the next step in his game like Jrue Holiday did. I don't know...

Don't want him for his cost.

Agree with Porter the issue is not fit but value. He'd be a great complimentary player on the wing who does many of the things we need in terms of three point shooting and having the size to guard larger wings. But do you really want that contract? It comes in at roughly $26 million this year; $27 million next season; and carries a player option in 2020 for more than $28 million. To paraphrase Gordon Gekko, I'd love him at $15 million. At $28 million, it's an insult. He's a good player, but if I can get 90% of him at half the cost and keep Mirotic, Payton and possible Randle, I'd got the cheaper route at the wing.

Otto Porter would need to have a Jrue Holiday like leap to justify that money.

I wanted Otto in that draft, but didn’t get the chance. I always have liked his game, but yes like most don’t want anything to do with that contract.

I don’t understand why we got rid of Troy Williams in favor of Wesley Johnson. He’s averaging 7.5 ppg for a surprisingly good Kings team. Whoops he’s only played in 2 games for them, but still. He’s only 23 compared to Johnson 31. He has way more upside than him. Johnson never averaged double digit scoring while being seen as a bust as the 4th overall pick in 2010. That move was a head scratcher to say the least IMO.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 11-03-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I wanted Otto in that draft, but didn’t get the chance. I always have liked his game, but yes like most don’t want anything to do with that contract.

I don’t understand why we got rid of Troy Williams in favor of Wesley Johnson. He’s averaging 7.5 ppg for a surprisingly good Kings team. Whoops he’s only played in 2 games for them, but still. He’s only 23 compared to Johnson 31. He has way more upside than him. Johnson never averaged double digit scoring while being seen as a bust as the 4th overall pick in 2010. That move was a head scratcher to say the least IMO.
    They got rid of Troy Williams to sign Tim Frazier.
    Wes Johnson was equired by trading Ajinca.

Two different transactions

Wesley Johnson is a contract. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Wesley Johnson is a contract. Nothing more.
    Wesley Johnson as a contract is still better than Solomon Hill as a player.

Poor Solo. He is a rotting corpse out there but is a good guy underneath all the basketball stuff. One of the guys from Birdwrites says he looks like a nervous wreck out there. I understand that, but I've never been on 13 mil a year so not really

But yeah, he should take the money he's already made, thank the organistation and leave if this was an idylic world

But did Dell really need to give him 4 years? Those 4 and 5 year contracts he gave to Hill and Asik at the time were head scratching and only got worse as the years went by
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-03-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Poor Solo. He is a rotting corpse out there but is a good guy underneath all the basketball stuff. One of the guys from Birdwrites says he looks like a nervous wreck out there. I understand that, but I've never been on 13 mil a year so not really

But yeah, he should take the money he's already made, thank the organistation and leave if this was an idylic world

But did Dell really need to give him 4 years? Those 4 and 5 year contracts he gave to Hill and Asik at the time were head scratching and only got worse as the years went by
    Truthfully, Dell should've been fired immediately after handing out those contracts.

Thankfully he redeemed himself, but those were awful.

Thread Information