Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kenneth Lamont "Kent" Bazemore Jr. is the Wing Player This Team Needs

Kenneth Lamont "Kent" Bazemore Jr. is the Wing Player This Team Needs

Kent Bazemore is the missing piece. He’s super athletic, shoots well from 3, create off the dribble and be a creator for others. And he has the right combination of size, wingspan, defensive IQ, motor, quickness to be primary defender for bigger wings and forwards (Durant).

Only thing, he has a player option next season for about 18-19 mil., which could make it difficult to re-sign Randle if he opts out this summer and/or keep E-Moore.

Hill + WesJ (plus Diallo if they want) + plus some protected pick agreement
    for Bazemore

AD
    Niko/ Randle
    Baze/ Miller
    Jrue/ Moore
    EP

More affordable then Porter or H. Barnes and just as good a fit, if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Kent Bazemore is the missing piece. He’s super athletic, shoots well from 3, create off the dribble and be a creator for others. And he has the right combination of size, wingspan, defensive IQ, motor, quickness to be primary defender for bigger wings and forwards (Durant).

Only thing, he has a player option next season for about 18-19 mil., which could make it difficult to re-sign Randle if he opts out this summer and/or keep E-Moore.

Hill + WesJ (plus Diallo if they want) + plus some protected pick agreement
    for Bazemore

AD
    Niko/ Randle
    Baze/ Miller
    Jrue/ Moore
    EP

More affordable then Porter or H. Barnes and just as good a fit, if not better.
    He may be, but we'll have to see how this season goes.While he might be a solid upgrade at wing over 3twaun, if we are playing well, re-signing Randle will be priority. we may not be able to afford much more than Etwaun, but he's great against smaller wings. Our bigs are quick enough to cover bigger perimeter players when needed. I think they will prove this soon enough.

To be clear Bazemore does not have the right size to guard bigger wings like Durant. The guy is just over 6'3 without shoes. Durant has over 6 inches on him in height and over 5 inches more wingspan.

This is one of my biggest reasons I'm not higher on Bazemore. He's a SG that plays SF. Look at his measurements compared to Moore. He's only 1" taller and his wingspan is only 1.5" more than Moore.

I'm not saying I don't like Bazemore, I think he's decent. I just am not sure he gives us a ton more than Moore. Certainly not for his contract.

I had to look at the date of the thread. There seems to be a Bazemore thread every year. I love T. Prince much more but at this point he is a key piece and un-tradeable.

Moore is a better player than Bazemore for our system. I'm not giving up anything for a lateral move, especially one that adds multiple years of age to a key player.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by R Pelly View Post
    I had to look at the date of the thread. There seems to be a Bazemore thread every year.
    Of course it came after he had a career-type game.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Eh, my friend is a Hawks fan, and when there was a rumor about us possibly nabbing Bazemore, he couldn't wait to get rid of him.

What I would like to know and nobody seems to be able to answer is what type of salary going into next season is reasonable so the team can still retain Randle?
    Assuming Randle gets something like 13 to 15M per.

You can only give randle that type of contract if you have room under the cap. We don't have his bird rights yet so it will be extremely difficult to sign him if he opts out of his player option. The hope would be a understanding that he will get paid the following year when we have his bird rights which would take a lot of trust on his part. Also the same goes with Payton. We don't have his bird rights so likely all you could give him is the MLE. At least that is how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What I would like to know and nobody seems to be able to answer is what type of salary going into next season is reasonable so the team can still retain Randle?
    Assuming Randle gets something like 13 to 15M per.
    Can only pay Randle in the $10 - $10.5 million or so range if he opts out.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yeah right around 11 is what we an offer if he opts out. However, we can always over contracts to clear enough space if we have to go higher.

I would however talk to AD first before I start trading away players. If he says "Keep Randle and I'll sign my extension" then toy do whatever you have to to keep him.

From just a very small sample of three games and the improvement Hill has made, I prefer what we currently have for reasons mythrol mentioned. I really don't see the need for any more offense....just a defensive upgrade at SF....and I would prefer to see what Hill and Johnson can do before pulling the trigger on more contracts.

But yeah, very small sample size so this post could look ridiculous in a few weeks.

The Franchise
    I’d rather TJ Warren. He give most of bazemore or even porter production for half the price and he has plenty of size and longer contract.

It’s not just about defence or just points.
    It’s about having a long enough wing player who can shoot and not put the team in a situation on the court were the opposing team is sagging of this player.
    He needs to be at least a threat, but doesn’t need to be a guy who averages 10+ points a game.
    If Solo was at least average from the 3, he would be good enough in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yeah right around 11 is what we an offer if he opts out. However, we can always over contracts to clear enough space if we have to go higher.

I would however talk to AD first before I start trading away players. If he says "Keep Randle and I'll sign my extension" then toy do whatever you have to to keep him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Thanks guy’s, but I kind of already assumed this.

So it’s pretty much if they make a trade for a wing that has salary next season, Randle is gone.
    Unless of course it is a wing on a rookie deal or Randle opts in.
    Both seem highly unlikely without giving up Moore in a trade, which I wouldn’t want to do.

Assuming we make a trade for a SF who's salary will be around 20 next year, we would be looking at probably the most expensive team in the NBA if we retain Payton and Randle...

Payton = 6 mil (depends on tax MLE)
    Jrue = 26 mil
    SF = 20 mil
    Randle = 11 mil
    Niko = 15 mil
    AD = 43 mil
    Moore = 8 mil

That would put us right at 129 million just with 7 guys.. Fill out the rest of the roster with minimum contracts, and we would be around 150 million paid on player contracts, not counting the tax bill.. I could see Moore moved for some cap relief though

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    To be clear Bazemore does not have the right size to guard bigger wings like Durant. The guy is just over 6'3 without shoes. Durant has over 6 inches on him in height and over 5 inches more wingspan.

This is one of my biggest reasons I'm not higher on Bazemore. He's a SG that plays SF. Look at his measurements compared to Moore. He's only 1" taller and his wingspan is only 1.5" more than Moore.

I'm not saying I don't like Bazemore, I think he's decent. I just am not sure he gives us a ton more than Moore. Certainly not for his contract.
    Good point. That was the exact reason I wasn’t big on trading for him in the past, but those long arms make him look so much bigger I guess. I think with his skill set in this offense with enough length and instincts to be fine on defense at SF.

But you’re right, if this is going to be your one shot to shed Hill’s contract to bring in a viable solution at SF, do you really want an undersized SG/SF as that choice? And the contract is a def a thing.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out at the trade deadline, Carroll or Ariza may make more sense with their expiring contracts. At least the games are fun to watch now, as the Search for the Pelicans Answer at SF continues...

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Assuming we make a trade for a SF who's salary will be around 20 next year, we would be looking at probably the most expensive team in the NBA if we retain Payton and Randle...

Jrue = 26 mil
    SF = 20 mil
    Randle = 11 mil
    Niko = 15 mil
    AD = 43 mil
    Moore = 8 mil

That would put us right at 129 million just with 7 guys.. Fill out the rest of the roster with minimum contracts, and we would be around 150 million paid on player contracts, not counting the tax bill.. I could see Moore moved for some cap relief though
    AD's currently contract only pays him $27m next year, not $43. Even if he signs the extension, that doesn't kick in that season, right?

It wouldn't kick in until the previous one ends.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    It wouldn't kick in until the previous one ends.
    Thought not. So yeah, $16m less than soggymoss thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    AD's currently contract only pays him $27m next year, not $43. Even if he signs the extension, that doesn't kick in that season, right?
    Ahhh, my mistake then!!that makes it even better and easier to keep Randle and Niko

The salary cap for next season is 109M
    The Lux tax for next season is 132M

AD = 27 mil
    Jrue = 26 mil
    SF = 20 mil
    Niko = 19 mil (His cap hold is actually 18.75M)
    Randle = 11 mil
    Moore = 8.5 mil
    Jackson = 1.6mil

Total = 119M

Plenty there to fill out the roster with vet’s, 2nd round rookies and minimum guy’s I would think.

We're 3-0

Soon to be 4-0

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    The salary cap for next season is 109M
    The Lux tax for next season is 132M

AD = 27 mil
    Jrue = 26 mil
    SF = 20 mil
    Niko = 19 mil (His cap hold is actually 18.75M)
    Randle = 11 mil
    Moore = 8.5 mil
    Jackson = 1.6mil

Total = 119M

Plenty there to fill out the roster with vet’s, 2nd round rookies and minimum guy’s I would think.
    You're assuming we can turn a 1st and Hill into a 20 mil sf? Bazemore?

Thread Information