Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: David Stern: "Dell Demps is a lousy general manager"

It is apparent to me that Demps knew what he wanted (Gentry) but was handed Monty, Asik was here mainly because AD wasn't ready and didn't want to play the 5. He still doesn't, but now he seems ok since Nico and JR share the job with him. The decisions that get made now are by committee, Demps has been great these last few years. He did more then enough to keep Boogie, and was able to get a more then average replacement in JR for less then half the 20 and 20 he offered injured Boogie last season. I didn't like Demps but now I think he is a bit better then middle of pack GM. Stern is a jerk and classless fool for making this comment. He probably solidified Demp's job here because the Benson family/organization has a history of taking care of their own.

If we extend Demps contract I will believe the organization. Until then the only guy with security is Gentry (his contract runs out after the 20-21 season).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

(me still waiting for Gordon to do something positive for us)

Seriously. Both trades were lousy in hindsight.

And the Boogie move was an AMAZING rabbit out of the hat deal. Injury changed it all.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If we extend Demps contract I will believe the organization. Until then the only guy with security is Gentry (his contract runs out after the 20-21 season).
    He did get his contract extended, this summer. I just don't know if they announced the terms ever.

Did they extend Demps? I know that they extended Gentry, but I am looking for the Demps extension and can’t find it.

Basically just made this ONE gm's job harder as soon as this franchise starts to lose. His name will be linked to this now with every player.

It's like Stern tried to save the franchise years ago, now through lack of class and childish stupidity, he's trying to **** it as long as Demps is here.

I don’t think Stern added any more pressure to Demps than Demps put on himself. Stern isn’t saying anything many Pels fans weren’t already saying. In the end, the NBA is just so damn petty right now.

Did they extend Demps? I know that they extended Gentry, but I am looking for the Demps extension and can’t find it.
    Yes they extended Demps before Gentry.

Well I mean we know he had to get a new contract because last year was his last year on the old one and he's still here. Lol.

I don't think the terms were ever disclosed. I think someone asked him about his contract during either the season ending press conference or the sometime in the summer and his response was basically he's happy to be here and continue building on the work he's done.

I don’t think Stern added any more pressure to Demps than Demps put on himself. Stern isn’t saying anything many Pels fans weren’t already saying. In the end, the NBA is just so damn petty right now.
    I don't think he made Demps job harder either as in the front office saw this and was like, "wait this is what he thought of Dell? We need to reevaluate." I think it was just a class-less thing to do especially from the former commissioner.

Where I do think it makes Demps job harder is now its in the news and can be used as a black mark by people trying to sees doubt in players heads and of course the media who desperately wants AD out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't think he made Demps job harder either as in the front office saw this and was like, "wait this is what he thought of Dell? We need to reevaluate." I think it was just a class-less thing to do especially from the former commissioner.

Where I do think it makes Demps job harder is now its in the news and can be used as a black mark by people trying to sees doubt in players heads and of course the media who desperately wants AD out of here.
    Yeah I'm not talking about the front office immediately thinking they need to re-evaluate him in light of these comments.

I'm talking about down the road when it's time to go after free agents and players immediately think, this is the guy that was called a "lousy manager."

It will no doubt make Demps job harder just from a psychological standpoint.

And no, everyone didn't think the same thing as that idiot. I sure as hell never did. Honestly this team now is "young vets" 2.0. That's how Dell has chosen to build a team and so far it looks very good.
    Last edited by luckyman; 10-25-2018 at 10:05 AM.

I am happy with our record, and most of Demps moves as of late, but what’s the saying, “The Devil knows more from being old, than from being the devil”. Demps has gotten better with age, but he still has a ways to go before he hops out from the middle of the pack. He is still learning from years of mistakes, so credit to him for doing that, but our success is more about AD being amazing than Demps being a good GM.

And NBA players don’t need the media to tell them when Donald Sterling is their last option. These guys know the situation before they head to a sit down with a team.

So Stern is taking credit for approving moves that put us into the NBA draft lottery where we lucked into Anthony Davis? He wants credit for making us suck? Sit down and shut up old man.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Stern is just an angry old man. He didn't even get the details of the trade correct in the article. Apparently, he has always been an a-hole and has gotten worse in his old age. The "he may lose AD" comment is what makes me upset. A former commissioner to say this is classless and idiotic.

Wait, so we go with Demps trade (and there are rumors that the trade wasn’t the final form, a subsequent trade would have been made after) and where are we? We aren’t in the lottery (so good bye AD), and we aren’t in the NBA Finals (we’re probably barely a playoff team). We would have been in purgatory. I don’t credit Stern with getting us AD, but his plan sure made AD landing here more can’t miss than Demps’ prospective win now moves.

Wait, so we go with Demps trade (and there are rumors that the trade wasn’t the final form, a subsequent trade would have been made after) and where are we? We aren’t in the lottery (so good bye AD), and we aren’t in the NBA Finals (we’re probably barely a playoff team). We would have been in purgatory. I don’t credit Stern with getting us AD, but his plan sure made AD landing here more can’t miss than Demps’ prospective win now moves.
    If your argument is that the Stern trade got us AD and the Demps trade wouldn't have, then you're agreeing that the Demps trade was better. In no world is Gordon/Kaman/Aminu/#10 better than Dragic/Odom/Scola/Martin/#16. Personally, at the time I wanted the Clips trade (wanted Bledsoe too) and I'm happy we were bad enough to get AD, but just imagine if we'd have gotten the #2 pick and MKG...we'd still be terrible.

Basketball Guru
    in other news,,the rockets are trying to get jimmy butler by offering 4 future 1st round picks.....will they get him?

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    in other news,,the rockets are trying to get jimmy butler by offering 4 future 1st round picks.....will they get him?
    I saw that. If they can help Minny move Dieng to a 3rd team in the deal, I am not sure Minny can turn that down.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Dell Demps would be eviscerated if he made this offer. Morey will probably get GM of the year if this goes through.

Morey is the smartest dummy in the NBA.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Dell Demps would be eviscerated if he made this offer. Morey will probably get GM of the year if this goes through.
    lol...man if demps would offer a deal like that, the only hang up on our end are the 21 and 22 year picks...those picks are after AD new contract or if he would still be a pelican....

if AD wants to leave,,how would we get our 21 and 22 year 1st round picks back?...

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I saw that. If they can help Minny move Dieng to a 3rd team in the deal, I am not sure Minny can turn that down.
    Depends who is ultimately making that decision for Sota...Thibs has no interest in 1st round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Depends who is ultimately making that decision for Sota...Thibs has no interest in 1st round picks.
    Yeah, I don't think he is ultimately going to make the decision. I suspect Taylor will. However, I saw that MM seems to think some of those "1st round picks" are actually options to swap 1st rounders and not true 1st round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yeah, I don't think he is ultimately going to make the decision. I suspect Taylor will. However, I saw that MM seems to think some of those "1st round picks" are actually options to swap 1st rounders and not true 1st round picks.
    It was also Houston dumping some players on Minnesota. So really it was like, 2 1st to take bad contracts and 2 (expected late) 1st for Butler.

It just doesn't have the same sound as "Houston offers 4 1st for Butler".

Thread Information