Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: October 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans vs Los Angeles Clippers - 2-0

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    We probably would have lost that game last year. But, the team seems to be much more focused this year, as evidenced by the low # of turnovers. At one point late in the 4th, I saw that we had 9 steals, 9 blocks, and 8 turnovers. I like that! This newfound focus is gonna be what separates us if we keep it up.

I was happy to see a decent sized crowd on a Tuesday night vs a team with no superstars. First half was ROUGH to sit through. Stressed me out, that’s for sure. Shots just weren’t falling. I’m becoming increasingly surprised by our 3rd Quarter efforts. In the 4th, I couldn’t figure out why Niko was benched and Solo was getting those minutes. Thank goodness we pulled away and managed to win though. Can’t wait til Friday, but I’m admittedly a little nervous about Saturday.
    RIP FlyGirl

An espn analyst just called AD a ‘self-proclaimed MVP candidate’. correct me if I’m wrong...oh nevermind.

Basketball Guru
    its still early but we need bench help in scoring...randall cant be the only offense coming off the bench in a 8 man game rotation......miller has to step up and be a consistent scorer in the future if he is going to be in the rotation....

our front court got a good test last night but if we had made our free throws and if our shooting was on,,we would have blown them out....

we have a dangerous team if they can put it all together and we get some good bench depth....

Yeah, 30 plus points, 10 plus rebounds, 2 plus steals and 2 plus rebounds who is one of the best defenders and by the way is undefeated to begin the year is definitely not a MVP contender. Reasons why to not watch ESPN anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by shanesy View Post
    Yeah, 30 plus points, 10 plus rebounds, 2 plus steals and 2 plus rebounds who is one of the best defenders and by the way is undefeated to begin the year is definitely not a MVP contender. Reasons why to not watch ESPN anymore.
    Well, they can't actually look at the numbers, because if they did, they'd realise that none of their favourites are actually in the lead of the (extremely early) MVP race.

The only real candidates right now are AD and Nikola Jokic. Jokic is shooting slightly better from the field and has the slightly better net rating as well as 0.3 more apg, and is 4-0. AD is only 3-0, but has the higher ppg, rpg, stls/g and bpg, as well as the higher PER and better BPM.

Those are, far and away, the best performers this season so far.
    Basketball.

Jokic ain't winning MVP this year. He will get the AD treatment from last year. Gotta pay dues and be a finalist before you can win it.

Stupid, but the MVP has been a year behind the actual winner since they got sick of giving it to LBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Jokic ain't winning MVP this year. He will get the AD treatment from last year. Gotta pay dues and be a finalist before you can win it.

Stupid, but the MVP has been a year behind the actual winner since they got sick of giving it to LBJ.
    I totally agree, and as strange as it is to say, I think Denver is going to fall off. Not entirely, it's not like I think they're going to suck or anything, but I don't see them as ending up a top four seed, and I think Jokic's efficiency will drop. He won't be in the MVP conversation by February.

He could win it. Denver would have to finish top 2 in the West and he'd have to average like 25 7 12 or something crazy.

Jokic has been good for awhile now. I don't know how much he will drop off, but I don't think it matters. Unless Denver gets the #1 seed and even then, I don't think Jokic can get it if AD is even close to his numbers while also being a top 4 seed.

We have a long way to go though. Last year the Grizzlies were 3-0 at this point with wins over Golden State and the Rockets.

Jokic has been good for awhile now. I don't know how much he will drop off, but I don't think it matters. Unless Denver gets the #1 seed and even then, I don't think Jokic can get it if AD is even close to his numbers while also being a top 4 seed.

We have a long way to go though. Last year the Grizzlies were 3-0 at this point with wins over Golden State and the Rockets.
    I have Jokic dropping off pretty far. He's been good for a while now, yeah, but not this good. Right now he's averaging 24/10/7 on 61% from the field and 50% from 3. His career highs in each statistic before this season would give 18/10/6 on 57% from the field and 39% from 3. I could see him putting up something like 21/10/6.5 all season, on around 50/38 percentages, but there's no way he's going to do it on this kind of PER. Career high PER before: 26. Right now it's 36. No way he's going to finish this season with it higher than 28. Same with his defensive rating. Currently 96: career high before this, 104. If he can average 24/10/7 on those efficiencies with a 30+ PER and a sub-100 defensive rating, he deserves the MVP. But it's not going to happen.

One of the biggest things that's going to work against Jokic is, and it sucks to say it because obviously in comparison to the regular guy he's in great shape, but he's just not particularly fit. He's kinda slow, not very athletic, a little bit pudgy, not particularly strong for a 7 footer. I don't know how long he can keep up with being used as a pinball, which is what happens to him when he's playing offense right now.

You're right though, it's still so early we can't say for sure.

My point was more baffled that they threw in 'self proclaimed'. He was an MVP finalist just 5 months ago, and the NBA proclaimed that. Not some moment where AD is calling his shot a la Babe Ruth. He was/is an MVP candidate. #fact

Thread Information