Pelicans Report

Thread: AD-Niko-Randle in the Future

AD-Niko-Randle in the Future

I'll begin with the obvious caveat that it is WAY too early to be thinking about this, but I'm curious and it's been kind of gnawing at me: what type of cap gymnastics/sacrifices will it take to retain all 3 of our main bigs?

AD's situation is well known and obvious. We're slapping that supermax in front of him at 12:01 on July 1 and whether he signs it or not will determine the direction of this franchise for the next decade.

The other two however, assuming they perform at even 75% of last night's production (last night was probably close to the ceiling of what we can expect from both Randle and Niko), will almost definitely be worth raises on the open market. Niko will be an UFA at the end of the season. I want to say we have some semblance of bird rights but not full? He's at $12.5 mil right now. Randle has a player option next season for $9 mil that he will almost definitely decline especially if he keeps playing so well. If I remember correctly we'll be able to offer him (assuming we're over the cap, which is almost unavoidable with cap holds and such) 125% of his current salary which would only be about $11 mil. With the money that should be available on the market next offseason, I think he'd get at least 15.

Did I miss/misstate anything cap wise? And what do y'all think the chances are that we see all 3 in Pels uniforms to start next season?

We have Nikos full bird rights

It is very possible to retain both, Randle would have to agree to play 1 more season at 11 million with the promise we will give him a raise the following season when we have his early bird rights..

We have Niko's full bird rights, so we can definitely keep him no question

We may have found our team corps for years to come. ReSign jrue to keep AD happy and we will compete every season with our big 4 plus Payton.

And we need to somehow rid ourselves of solo

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    We may have found our team corps for years to come. ReSign jrue to keep AD happy and we will compete every season with our big 4 plus Payton.
    Yep and let's not forget Frank will eventually be a player for us. Plus Moore. We have a solid core of 7 going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    It is very possible to retain both, Randle would have to agree to play 1 more season at 11 million with the promise we will give him a raise the following season when we have his early bird rights..

We have Niko's full bird rights, so we can definitely keep him no question
    I really do not see a scenario where Randle(or really any player these days) would make that kind of risky decision.

It's one thing when you are Durant talking about taking a few million less for a ready made champion on a shorter term contract that is still mutually beneficial, when you already have a net worth in excess of 100 million, it's another when you are still waiting on that big pay day, when you aren't a superstar.

Unfortunately we need to brace for the likelihood that a good season for the Pelicans and great seasons for Mirotic/Randle means Randle/Mirotic are likely to flirt with several competing suitors and the potential for near max contracts. And I just cant see a situation where Randle in particular turns down something like 18 million+ and a guaranteed starting role to play for 11 million with us on the promise we may pay him more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Jrue is already signed up for multiple years, we don't need to resign him for a while.
    Basketball.

If Payton and Randall excel, Payton will probably get MLE, Jules get 3 yr 50 mil, then sign Nico for same 50 mil, then AD supermax.

Randle could opt out and sign another 2 year deal with a player option for the 2nd year where he gets a starting salary of 120% of this year's salary. After next year we would have his early birds rights and be able to sign him to a pretty sizable contract. So roughly 11m next season. I think Randle realizes this is the absolute best possible fit for him in the entire league. I think if it only meant him losing a few million dollar next year he would be ok with it. Maybe even up to some team offering him 15m ish. The next big salary cap jump doesn't happen at the end of this season but at the end of the next season, so it even makes some amount of sense for him to sign a shorter term deal so he can get a bigger contract in 2 years.

My concern however is if Randle absolutely balls we will either 1) Have to gut our team to keep him or 2) Some other team is going to throw a max at him. Before gutting the team I'd have to talk to AD and have him agree to his extension knowing what we had to do to keep Randle.

Niko is a much less complex situation. We have his full Birds Rights. If we want to keep him we have a very clear path to doing so. I don't think any team is going to throw a crazy high (max) offer on the table for him so I think odds are very good that we come to an agreement and keep him.

If we can finally cement our core this season outside of shedding Hill we can finally look forward to the draft.

Thread Information