Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Davis interview with Rachel Nichols

Thread should be titled: Please read if you no longer want to be a pels fan. Sky falling. This fanbase sucks. AD is here now. Season hasn't started yet. Hush.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Thread should be titled: Please read if you no longer want to be a pels fan. Sky falling. This fanbase sucks. AD is here now. Season hasn't started yet. Hush.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    For he record, I think AD loves New Orleans and would love nothing more than to win a title here. Having said that, he is smart to put pressure on the organization. I believe the stuff was leaked for several reasons.

1. As said above, he wants to put pressure on the organization. If the team isn’t up to scratch, it better be soon or he is out of here. No more dawdling around (tbf we did a lot in the offseason plus the Niko trade really worked in our favor).

2.Lebron came to the West. If AD wants an easy road to the finals, he can go to the East.

3. He can team up with Lebron. If you can’t beat the super teams, join them. It’s a shame that we have to coexist with two of the best teams in the last decade (in the same division no less) and LEBRON. The West is a nightmare.
    4. We are entering supermax negotiation with no real contending team sourrounding him. Once he signs that deal. THERE IS NO FIXING THE ROSTER. I been **********ing about this for 3 years now when the Supermax became to fruition. Davis knows the supermax will cripple to team's ability to compete. So, AD is pressuring for 2 things... Want to win and get paid.

Pelicans needs to get a squad together. We need to sneak in one more superstar before the supermax and pay the tax if we want Davis to be here,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    4. We are entering supermax negotiation with no real contending team sourrounding him. Once he signs that deal. THERE IS NO FIXING THE ROSTER. I been **********ing about this for 3 years now when the Supermax became to fruition. Davis knows the supermax will cripple to team's ability to compete. So, AD is pressuring for 2 things... Want to win and get paid.

Pelicans needs to get a squad together. We need to sneak in one more superstar before the supermax and pay the tax if we want Davis to be here,
    Another idea since we have a mixed bag on Butler,

Hold our fire till end of season then go after Kemba Walker or Klay Thompson? Thompson could be a possibility being there is a connection with Gentry. Trade for Thompson? Why wait? Supposively GS was shopping Thompson last year.
    Last edited by Toad504; 10-14-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad504 View Post
    Another idea since we have a mixed bag on Butler,

Hold our fire till end of season then go after Kemba Walker or Klay Thompson? Thompson could be a possibility being there is a connection with Gentry. Trade for Thompson? Why wait? Supposively GS was shopping Thompson last year.
    I take Thomspon or Gorden-Hay before Butler. I think Butler is too ISO for our system.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is so asinine for the I don't know how many time. We went veteran heavy which effected where we were drafting. If we would have taken our time and built via the draft we would have been bad enough to pick at the top of the draft. It's sad that people that are smart enough to know better make post like yours. Philly are were they are now because they took the approach we should have taken.

I can give you a list of names from 2013 til now that weren't top picks that would make our roster far more attractive had we just drafted them instead. This isn't including the top picks that are studs.
    In the classroom you are correct, have your team stink for 5 years, get every high draft pick, then dominate the league. Makes nice logical sense.

However, I believe as a GM you owe it to the fans to at least try, let your fans be able to convince themselves that if everything goes right maybe there is a chance.

If an organization is going to demand the prices they do for tickets, suites etc, I do not want to pay to go to those games for 5 years, watching loss after loss, dreaming if this kid only gets it, oh NO he blew his acl, lets suck for another year to get the next big thing cycle.

THEN when/if the team becomes one of promise after 7 years the organization raises ticket prices and a bunch of businessmen not even watching the game move in and take my seats.

Sports, especially basketball, is the only business that has the ability to tell its customers, hey we are a terrible company now, we know our product is sub standard, but if you put up with us being this atrocious at our jobs for only 5 to 7 more years we might be better, remember no guarantees, you just have to have faith.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This is so asinine for the I don't know how many time. We went veteran heavy which effected where we were drafting. If we would have taken our time and built via the draft we would have been bad enough to pick at the top of the draft. It's sad that people that are smart enough to know better make post like yours. Philly are were they are now because they took the approach we should have taken.

I can give you a list of names from 2013 til now that weren't top picks that would make our roster far more attractive had we just drafted them instead. This isn't including the top picks that are studs.
    That would be rougher 5 years than Philly went through. Every damn season, we'd endure constant "Move the Pelicans to Seattle" talk. I too wish we had taken a more measured approach...but we had an owner who wanted to see the team win immediately before he died...

And now he's died. We can't get Anthony Davis to remain here...then I'll probably go as emotionally dead as a loveless marriage. I'll be present, but have zero spark. Because if we get our sniper elite player in the first bad draft...we'll suddenly just hear how he should play in a bigger market, because we don't ********ing deserve anything good.

look, lets be honest, small market teams are designed to be the Washington Generals, you know, the team that shows up to play the Harlem Glodetrotters.

Here is a small sample of the Wiki page describing them,

"The Generals exist primarily as a part of the Harlem Globetrotters' act, effectively being stooges for the Globetrotters. While the Globetrotters play tricks and spectacular displays of skill for the crowd, the Generals appear to attempt to play a "normal" game of basketball. The Generals' games involve playing genuine basketball at times, but also not interfering in the Globetrotters' tricks. Almost always this results in resounding wins for the Globetrotters. Despite their losses, the Generals' roster consists of relatively competent players."

Thanks NBA and ESPN for turning the league into this. I have not watched the Globetrotters in 20 years and the NBA is pushing me in the same direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    In the classroom you are correct, have your team stink for 5 years, get every high draft pick, then dominate the league. Makes nice logical sense.

However, I believe as a GM you owe it to the fans to at least try, let your fans be able to convince themselves that if everything goes right maybe there is a chance.

If an organization is going to demand the prices they do for tickets, suites etc, I do not want to pay to go to those games for 5 years, watching loss after loss, dreaming if this kid only gets it, oh NO he blew his acl, lets suck for another year to get the next big thing cycle.

THEN when/if the team becomes one of promise after 7 years the organization raises ticket prices and a bunch of businessmen not even watching the game move in and take my seats.

Sports, especially basketball, is the only business that has the ability to tell its customers, hey we are a terrible company now, we know our product is sub standard, but if you put up with us being this atrocious at our jobs for only 5 to 7 more years we might be better, remember no guarantees, you just have to have faith.
    To me 2013 was the prefect time to play the long game. We just rebranded and had drafted Davis the year before. The level of excitement was really high. The city would have supported a rebuild. The end result ended up being similar as we've only had two playoff appearances since that time.

We are where we are. We need to go all in and move heaven and hell to get AD a third star. Butler is the best of those available. Make it happen Demps.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

To me 2013 was the prefect time to play the long game. We just rebranded and had drafted Davis the year before. The level of excitement was really high. The city would have supported a rebuild. The end result ended up being similar as we've only had two playoff appearances since that time.
    I always watch the Pels and Sixers. Both teams started rebuilding about the same time. They went in very different directions. Both teams seem to be in the same place right now with on court results. The long game takes perfection, the Sixers missed on Okafor, and Fultz we will see. DO the Sixers have more flexability, sure, but free agents were not lining up to join them this offseason. Maybe they will in the future but, by that time Simmons and Embid will need to be paid. Can they make trades to fill holes? Sure both teams can if superstars demand it and other teams will accept trash in return.

I am not sure which way was right, but the Pels were at least decent enough most of this time to buy a ticket. Would you have paid top dollar to see some of those Sixer teams?

I think I agree with UNO, the only way for the Pels to really compete for a championship is to go all in now, Jimmy Butler may not be the perfect player, but that player doesn't exist. Boogie wasn't the perfect player but allowed us to put fear in other teams and a confidence in our players that they could win. A team of Davis, Butler, Jrue, Randle, hopefully Niko and a bunch of role players would give the Pels a chance to complete and believe, whether they are or not ,that they are a super team.

Basketball Guru
    do anyone know who were the players in the miami trade for butler? and if so,,who can we send to them that will beat their offer if they bring up talks again?...and it has to be a deal that the t-wolves would consider and not something that pelicans fans like to trade because it save us lol...

Dell has already inquired and the Wolves price is insane and even mores to teams in the Western Conference.

Dell would take him if it cost him little but there is no point in trading things of value for a rental and Dell has no interest in giving Butler 5 yr/160+ mil

Long story short, it aint happening. Look elsewhere.
    @mcnamara247

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Dell has already inquired and the Wolves price is insane and even mores to teams in the Western Conference.

Dell would take him if it cost him little but there is no point in trading things of value for a rental and Dell has no interest in giving Butler 5 yr/160+ mil

thank you....what about harrison barnes?..

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar

Thanks for the update. I like Dell's approach on this one

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    thank you....what about harrison barnes?..
    Inquired months ago. Mavs have no interest right now.

You guys need to wait until teams start having terrible starts and/or big injuries that derail their season. Right now, 28-29 of the teams in the NBA thing they can make the playoffs. You wouldn't believe how disillusioned some of them are.

Dell could make a work the edges trade right now, but a real needle moving trade aint coming for months. Be patient and enjoy watching the actual games as opposed to thinking about the moves. For now.

You guys need to wait until teams start having terrible starts and/or big injuries that derail their season. Right now, 28-29 of the teams in the NBA thing they can make the playoffs. You wouldn't believe how disillusioned some of them are.

Dell could make a work the edges trade right now, but a real needle moving trade aint coming for months. Be patient and enjoy watching the actual games as opposed to thinking about the moves. For now.
    The problem is, I can wait for the trading deadline or next year. I kinda like the current team warts and all, I am just not sure AD wants to! Only time will tell, let the games begin.

Basketball Guru

thanks again for the info on about inquiring about him and hope we revisit in trading for him...he is young and would fix our SF position....im all for waiting for dallas to fade out and trying to trade for barnes....my jrue,,barnes and AD core for the playoffs has some hope now....come on dallas with the fade lol....

I think you guys are way down on your team this year. You're gonna make the playoffs if Davis stays healthy. If he leaves it won't be this season, no matter what ESPN wants you to believe. Only way I see that happening is if Randle, Mirotic, and Holiday all miss extended time.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gobulls View Post
    I think you guys are way down on your team this year. You're gonna make the playoffs if Davis stays healthy. If he leaves it won't be this season, no matter what ESPN wants you to believe. Only way I see that happening is if Randle, Mirotic, and Holiday all miss extended time.
    Media has an impact. It’s impossible to turn the radio or tv on and constantly hear about how we won’t make the playoffs, see people talk as if Davis is already on some other team, complete with graphics and talk of what other players the damn Lakers or Celtics can put around them with how many games they’ll win. Like it’s inevitable, and not have some fans influenced.

Crap gets to me and I know why they’re doing it. Just need the season to start and for the games to start counting. It would be helpful if we don’t start the season slow again. Though we gotta play Houston and Golden State in the first 6 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Media has an impact. It’s impossible to turn the radio or tv on and constantly hear about how we won’t make the playoffs, see people talk as if Davis is already on some other team, complete with graphics and talk of what other players the damn Lakers or Celtics can put around them with how many games they’ll win. Like it’s inevitable, and not have some fans influenced.

Crap gets to me and I know why they’re doing it. Just need the season to start and for the games to start counting. It would be helpful if we don’t start the season slow again. Though we gotta play Houston and Golden State in the first 6 games.
    We start the season something like 4-6 or 3-7 over the first ten games, these rumours will only intensify.

We start 6-4 or 7-3, they'll start dying down.

How we start is vital. Some losses are acceptable, and even expected, but we can't afford to flush this season away. Need to show real progress
    Basketball.

I watched the interview and if I were AD I would be saying the same thing and putting pressure on the organization to win now. I don't think it automatically means he will be gone to a bigger market. I think it's the media constantly harping on AD going to a big market that has most of you guys thinking he's gone. If Dell can find that trade to acquire a difference maker at the deadline and the Pels go deep in the playoffs I think AD signs the super max extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

I get it, I just think you have a much better team than everyone thinks. The casual fan sees no Cousins and assumes a worse team. But AD is probably better playing alongside someone who spaces the floor like Mirotic. Not to mention Randle is a great 16/9 guy. I think a healthy Pelicans team will be a 5-7 seed this year

Thanks for the info atleast now we shouldnt have people saying things like "Dell is just sitting on his hands and not doing anything" ehh who am I kidding there's still gonna be those ppl lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gobulls View Post
    I get it, I just think you have a much better team than everyone thinks. The casual fan sees no Cousins and assumes a worse team. But AD is probably better playing alongside someone who spaces the floor like Mirotic. Not to mention Randle is a great 16/9 guy. I think a healthy Pelicans team will be a 5-7 seed this year

with everything going on about this team,,i still think we will be the houston of last year and be a top 4 team if healthy plus if we get the right SF at the trade deadline,we will be hell to deal with in the playoffs....i have been believing this since we put this team together and has not change my mind yet.....it all starts when we beat the hell outta the rockets wednesday....

Thread Information