Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Davis interview with Rachel Nichols

It remains mystifying that, after six years, we still can’t find a way to fill the hole at wing. Incredible.

Davis interview with Rachel Nichols

I was thinking and wanted to ask the board. Could AD sign the super max contract from us then demand a trade to another team? That way he makes his money and gets to move to a team willing to pay a huge luxury tax bill. I was unsure if a player can not be traded for a certain period of time after signing the super max.

P.S. I hope AD stays with the Pelicans for his lifetime. He is my favorite player that has worn a Pelicans jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by msw2024; 10-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    4. We are entering supermax negotiation with no real contending team sourrounding him. Once he signs that deal. THERE IS NO FIXING THE ROSTER. I been **********ing about this for 3 years now when the Supermax became to fruition. Davis knows the supermax will cripple to team's ability to compete. So, AD is pressuring for 2 things... Want to win and get paid.

Pelicans needs to get a squad together. We need to sneak in one more superstar before the supermax and pay the tax if we want Davis to be here,
    Very well said. This team needs to be put together ASAP. It’s times like this that the Solomon Hill’s and Asik’s kill us. We took a very small market approach with every trade/free agency signing before we brought in Boogie, and it bit us in the ****** several times. We finally have the pull to acquire stars, but unfortunately for us, we have to convince a team to take Solomon Hill off our hands. It was one of the most YOLO contracts we have given out and it may play a part in us losing Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    I was thinking and wanted to ask the board. Could AD sign the super max contract from us then demand a trade to another team? That way he makes his money and gets to move to a team willing to pay a huge luxury tax bill. I was unsure if a player can not be traded for a certain period of time after signing the super max.

P.S. I hope AD stays with the Pelicans for his lifetime. He is my favorite player that has worn a Pelicans jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's really difficult as he loses leverage if he signs another long term deal with us. Plus moving his salary will be very difficult we'd likely have to be willing to take back a terrible contract/s.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    It remains mystifying that, after six years, we still can’t find a way to fill the hole at wing. Incredible.
    We had one! He ran away.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It's really difficult as he loses leverage if he signs another long term deal with us. Plus moving his salary will be very difficult we'd likely have to be willing to take back a terrible contract/s.
    lets just say the lakers..ball,,ingram and kuzma...who else on the lakers or would it be a third team bad contracts?..

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    lets just say the lakers..ball,,ingram and kuzma...who else on the lakers or would it be a third team bad contracts?..
    Any team that wanted to trade for AD would have to significantly gut their roster to the point that he probably wouldn't even want to go there anymore.

The first year of that extension alone would be $39.7m. Let's look at a couple of teams to find what sort of things they'd have to part with to make up that kind of money (based on what they're going to get paid this upcoming season).

Trailblazers: Damien Lillard ($28m) + Jusuf Nurkic ($11m) = $39m. That checks out.
    Timberwolves: Andrew Wiggins ($25m) + KAT ($7m) + Anthony Tolliver ($5.7m) = $37.7m.
    Golden State: Klay Thompson ($19m) + Draymond Green ($17.5m) + Quinn Cook ($1.5) = $38m.
    Lakers: Almost their entire roster. Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac, Stephenson, Rondo, KCP, and Hart. Or alternatively, you could just do a straight up Lebron trade for that money and still have enough room to add Ingram in.

Now obviously when AD's supermax actually kicks in, it will be a few years down the line, and contracts will look a little different than they do right this moment. Maybe the exchange rate will drop, or maybe future contracts will be more frugal and it'll be worth even more. But either way, once he's signed to a supermax, trades would be incredibly difficult to facilitate. Not impossible, obviously, but extremely unlikely.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Any team that wanted to trade for AD would have to significantly gut their roster to the point that he probably wouldn't even want to go there anymore.

The first year of that extension alone would be $39.7m. Let's look at a couple of teams to find what sort of things they'd have to part with to make up that kind of money (based on what they're going to get paid this upcoming season).

Trailblazers: Damien Lillard ($28m) + Jusuf Nurkic ($11m) = $39m. That checks out.
    Timberwolves: Andrew Wiggins ($25m) + KAT ($7m) + Anthony Tolliver ($5.7m) = $37.7m.
    Golden State: Klay Thompson ($19m) + Draymond Green ($17.5m) + Quinn Cook ($1.5) = $38m.
    Lakers: Almost their entire roster. Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac, Stephenson, Rondo, KCP, and Hart. Or alternatively, you could just do a straight up Lebron trade for that money and still have enough room to add Ingram in.

Now obviously when AD's supermax actually kicks in, it will be a few years down the line, and contracts will look a little different than they do right this moment. Maybe the exchange rate will drop, or maybe future contracts will be more frugal and it'll be worth even more. But either way, once he's signed to a supermax, trades would be incredibly difficult to facilitate. Not impossible, obviously, but extremely unlikely.

so for us, next season would be the best time to make a move to get the best deal if he want to leave or we wait and get the short end of the stick?..

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    so for us, next season would be the best time to make a move to get the best deal if he want to leave or we wait and get the short end of the stick?..
    I'd suggest at least giving it until January before you even consider that. AD leaving is a horrible prospect, and with any luck it's not one we'll ever have to seriously account for. If it does come up, then it's not like we'll struggle to get offers, so we don't need to seriously consider it ever time the media does a story on it

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Numbers around the NBA would look way different by then, if Davis signs the supermax he cannot be traded for a year, so 2020 offseason would be the earliest.. By then guys like Ingram, Tatum etc would be on their next contract

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Numbers around the NBA would look way different by then, if Davis signs the supermax he cannot be traded for a year, so 2020 offseason would be the earliest.. By then guys like Ingram, Tatum etc would be on their next contract
    Thanks, I did say that in my original post though. I was just giving some context in comparison to numbers that make sense now. I can't project outwards because we don't know what the contracts will actually look like in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    If he signs the supermax he's not getting traded. We'd have him under contract for 5 years and he'd have no leverage. There's a reason all these players (Denver Melo, CP3, PG, Butler, Kawhi, Kyrie, etc.) are traded a year or two before free agency. Blake Griffin the only one that I can think of traded after an extension and that was initiated by the Clips, it wasn't him wanting out.

The man is just leaving his options open. Why in the world would he show his hand if doesn't have to. Time to move along, nothing to see here.

Banned
    Let us go back in time to the last contract signing. Could a steak and a bunch of drinks be the trick again?

Did you hear the comment at the end? "Pelicans Nation Baby!"

#MakeithappenDell
    #MakeithappenLoomis

Thread Information