Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Honest to God truth, how are we feeling about the upcoming season?

Honest to God truth, how are we feeling about the upcoming season?

Just a few rambling thoughts.

I'm fairly apprehensive at this point and do not believe playoffs are a given by any stretch. I have an uneasy feeling in my stomach about how we will fare and the effect it will have on AD's future.

We have the least amount of rookie talent in the league by miles. Not getting a lick back for Cousins may hurt us in the long run. Frank will be great in patches but inconsistent. He is not the second coming of Donovan Mitchell.

What say you?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I am cautiously optimistic. I think we have a ton of talent and a bit easier of a schedule. If we stay healthy, we are going to win a lot of games. A big if I know.

One of the things that worry me the most is possibly starting Randle over Mirotic. I realize we may have made promises in getting Randle, but Mirotic is who made the pieces work. We already have to figure out Elfrid Payton, and introducing another new player with a pretty different skill set could and I think will be problematic.

I feel good about this season. Not expecting 55+ wins. But I feel good. I’m excited to see what all the new guys bring to the table. Preseason record never really shows us anything. So I’m ignoring that.
    RIP FlyGirl

Ehhh, development year. I'm gonna patient till after Allstars weekend. Last year was a lightning in a bottle late season run with unsustainable comeback victory and close wins. So, I wouldn't be surprised if we come crashing down to earth. Not liking of the idea of running because it work for half a season out of 3 season. I hope we dictate the pace on how we play, and who we ball.

I think Gentry will figure it out or he'll be gone when his 1 year extension is over. We got to get career years out of Payton, Randle, and get some healthy contributions from Jackson, Okafor, Moore, and Hill.

We got a squad... But Gentry has to coach like his life dependent on it and his time management in games have zero room for error.

Im pulling for Gentry and hope we don't go back to our "losing streak to start the season" Gentry.

Good, but I will feel a whole lot better if/when we have a legitimate 3.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Basketball Guru
    really feel that we can be the houston of last year and be a top 4 team if healthy.....praying dallas fade early and hope we can trade for harrison barnes and be set to make that deep playoff run...since AD been here,,i have never felt this good about the team like i do now...

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    really feel that we can be the houston of last year and be a top 4 team if healthy.....praying dallas fade early and hope we can trade for harrison barnes and be set to make that deep playoff run...since AD been here,,i have never felt this good about the team like i do now...
    I’m hoping Toronto fades early and we could get Kawhi. I think he’s a better fit for our team. Low maintenance, great defense, and position of need.

I am optimistic and excited.

I'm not expecting title contention. I'm thinking a fun team that can get to the second round of the postseason. We match up well with people. And if one or two secondary players really turn it on or we make a move for a borderline star guy without giving up a big piece, I could see us actually threatening the big dogs.

I'm very optimistic. I don't think we're going to win a title, but I think we have a ton of potential.

For me, our floor is getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. I honestly don't see us missing them this season, although I do concede that it is entirely possible depending on a bunch of factors. I could see us getting matched up with Golden State in the first round or something, and being eliminated then.

Our ceiling is, I think, WCF. Again, this depends on health and also on matchups, but I think we have at least a shot at beating anyone, and as long as we don't have to run through a wall in the first or second round, the Western Conference Finals appear to be at least potentially possible.

AD is going to win MVP, we're going to win 52 games, Jrue is going to make an all defensive team again, Randle is going to be in contention for most improved although he won't win it, Mirotic is going to shoot 40+% from three, Moore is going to average double digits on 40+% from 3 again, Frank Jackson is going to be regularly incorporated into the rotation by New Years.
    Basketball.

I feel good. Instincts are telling me to be pessimistic and say that we are gonna be fighting for 8th seed because #pelslife, but I dont see it. Weren't we like 27-21 when Boogie went down Last year? I remember feeling like there were at least 4-5 of those games that we lost in the final 4 min because of Point-Cousins stopping the ball and having some bad turnovers. Should have better pace at the ends of games this year.

I really think we have the pieces to run the offense we want to run this year, and most importantly center everything around AD. I think part of the reason we dominated Portland was because we were in such a groove from having 25+ games of pace style offense under our belt. I really think finally being able to run a gentry fast paced offense that features AD for a full 82 game season will put us at the 4 seed. Hopefully even the 3. Biggest season goal should be to not have to play GS until the WCF. We get beat by GS in the WCF and I think AD is satisfied enough to at least run it back.

Fun question, if we had been able to keep Rondo on this team how much better do you think our record would be this year against what you are currently predicting? I'm just curious to see how much of an impact people on the board think he has/had.

I have GS, HOU, OKC, UTA, LAL ahead of us. But the next tier of teams where I feel like 'anything could happen here' is NO, LAC, SA, DEN, POR, so anywhere between 6th and 10th is my preseason expectation. I've stated before I'm actually OK with missing the playoffs given the young guys we've bought in and the young guys we're trying to develop into rotation players.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I've stated before I'm actually OK with missing the playoffs given the young guys we've bought in and the young guys we're trying to develop into rotation players.
    Can't see how anyone would be fine with that given the concern over AD potentially leaving for greener pastures if he does not see NOLA as a place where he can be successful.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Nervous. I don't like playing in the west, and since Snake Cousins ghosted us, I have a bad feeling we're going to be exposed more. Not to mention with everyone talking about AD and his future, just gives me an uneasy feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Nervous. I don't like playing in the west, and since Snake Cousins ghosted us, I have a bad feeling we're going to be exposed more. Not to mention with everyone talking about AD and his future, just gives me an uneasy feeling.
    Similar to my feelings

I hate to say it, but Solo is key. If he can give us 10 points off the bench while playing good defence, that will make a massive difference to our fortunes

I was feeling pretty good until the preseason started. IF AD puts his heart in the games and leads, the team will follow and has enough talent to be a top 4 Western seed that is clearly part of the second tier behind the Warriors. He would probably get his MVP and decide to sign the extension because there wouldn't be another place to go (other than the Warriors) that is clearly better positioned to contend going forward (especially if he wants to be the alpha dog on a contending team). BUT, if AD puts it in chill mode like he has in the preseason so far, the other guys will not all sacrifice and ball hard enough to accomplish anything - maybe even miss the playoffs.

Which path they take will be determined by the first few months of the season. If they start slowly and struggle, the effort will diminish and the results will be bad. If they fire Gentry it will probably be too late to light a real fire. But, if they start off winning games, the talent is there to keep it going. The preseason showing so far is definitely troubling me.

preseason sucked. it is irrelevant. that being said all we did was turn the ball over... starters looked pretty good tho

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    preseason sucked. it is irrelevant. that being said all we did was turn the ball over... starters looked pretty good tho
    Playing fast out the gate against real competition is gonna be some bad TO numbers. Nothing out of the ordinary for Gentry team to start the season to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fan View Post
    I was feeling pretty good until the preseason started. IF AD puts his heart in the games and leads, the team will follow and has enough talent to be a top 4 Western seed that is clearly part of the second tier behind the Warriors. He would probably get his MVP and decide to sign the extension because there wouldn't be another place to go (other than the Warriors) that is clearly better positioned to contend going forward (especially if he wants to be the alpha dog on a contending team). BUT, if AD puts it in chill mode like he has in the preseason so far, the other guys will not all sacrifice and ball hard enough to accomplish anything - maybe even miss the playoffs.

Which path they take will be determined by the first few months of the season. If they start slowly and struggle, the effort will diminish and the results will be bad. If they fire Gentry it will probably be too late to light a real fire. But, if they start off winning games, the talent is there to keep it going. The preseason showing so far is definitely troubling me.
    I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME. Having said that, I believe w/o major injuries to core we will exceed the gambler's regular season over/under expectations of 45.5 wins by at least 5 and perhaps as many as 10. Then again afterward reach 2nd round of playoffs or better.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    3 or 4 seed

top 4 seed or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I have GS, HOU, OKC, UTA, LAL ahead of us. But the next tier of teams where I feel like 'anything could happen here' is NO, LAC, SA, DEN, POR, so anywhere between 6th and 10th is my preseason expectation. I've stated before I'm actually OK with missing the playoffs given the young guys we've bought in and the young guys we're trying to develop into rotation players.

If we aren't a top 4 seed, and I think we will be, then AD definately bolts and he might as well.... cause he will need to lean on a leader. but for now im believing he is a leader and one that can make us better than utah and okc

In all honesty I thought the starters looked really good individually.... In flashes I saw the potential and understood what they were trying to implement... Now when the reserves came in the game that’s when things went downhill which I’m not really worried about because we won’t be relying on them too much. Jrue and Randle looks great Mirotic and Moore as well... AD looks like he doesn’t want to go hard until regular season I see potential with Elfrid and surprisingly after seeing his first game back I want to see Miller have a great year this year... that’s who I think or should I say hope has a big year this year
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Jah could play tonight if it mattered. He may play in the last game tho.

IF we upgrade our wing we can be special.

Banned
    Keep Davis happy. Do what we can to get John Wall in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad504 View Post
    Keep Davis happy. Do what we can to get John Wall in trade.
    Why would that make him happy? I am sure there are other players that he is close with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why would that make him happy? I am sure there are other players that he is close with.
    Think of how wicked our lineup would be with John Wall

Thread Information